Current Paul McCartney news thread (interviews, articles, miscellaneous)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Aug 15, 2016.

1. suffragette

suffragette McCartney vocal freak

Same for me, even sound quality. Sounds like older Paul, though he does get a bit younger by the end.

supermd and tug_of_war like this.
  2. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I always felt the same way. Do we have confirmation on the date? It sounds more like "Choba" era than BTTE.

3. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Mostly stuff you can find on YouTube, or variants of stuff we've already heard, cool.

Well, I could actually go for decent
    I have before, I've seen people calling it better than Band On The Run or Ram. To each their own, glad they enjoy it, but I just don't get it. Oh well.

4. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Also, Paul’s cover or After You’re Gone

5. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

theMess and supermd like this.
  6. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

If I mention those tracks, it's because I've actually heard them, otherwise I wouldn't know they exist. The obvious thing is: I don't care for bad sounding bootleg stuff on youtube. I want it all officially released with the best possible sound, just like that load of bonus tracks from "Red Rose Speedway". Most of them were circulating long before Youtube was a thing and still I couldn't be more happy when they were officially released!

7. Ringo Hendrix

I didn't mean to leave that part in, I realized it wasn't a good post but It snuck its way in to my next post, my bad.

The unfinished sentence meant: "I could go for decent, not low quality audio mixes of these songs", where I realized it might be a worthwhile set and that that snarky post wasn't really needed.

tug_of_war likes this.
  8. Ringo Hendrix

I feel like if Paul had stuck with the original arrangement for Backwards Traveler and made it a full song it could have been a classic and a (then) contemporary hit. The album version is lacking the groove of the demo, in my book.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    Dr. Dog, theMess, jricc and 1 other person like this.
  9. tug_of_war

No problem, it's ok. :cheers:

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  10. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

11. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Oh my! Karen O with the original yeah yeah yeah!
    Also: Yo Paul! Love the wardrobe!

12. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

With keyboardist Money Mark from The Beastie Boys and a million other cool 90s projects.

13. DavidP

DavidP Forum Resident

BOTR is absolutely a masterpiece, one of the best albums of 73/74. And while London Town isn’t a masterpiece, it is still very good, and one of my favourite Wings albums. Love the diversity of that album.

Floater, Paulwalrus, 905 and 7 others like this.
  14. tug_of_war

Imo, Paul did release a masterpiece in 1973, but its name is "Red Rose Speedway". :whistle:

dunkoid, Who Cares, C_Jepson and 2 others like this.
  15. Wonder if he went back and reduced the vocal with a look to releasing it. His voice sounds older here.

16. I don’t find “Mrs Vanderbilt” to be cheesy at all. ‘No Words” is primarily a Denny song. I don’t find it cheesy either although Lyrically a bit lazy.

Bruce M., Paulwalrus, supermd and 4 others like this.
  17. tug_of_war

That's the "Ob La Di, Ob La Da", the "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" of BOTR - but worse.

18. tug_of_war

My bad. "No Words" is cheesy. "Mrs. Vandebuilt" I actually think is silly. And lyrically "Let Me Roll It" is as substantial as any of the four songs on the RRS medley, with a weak tune.

19. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Great bassline, though...
    :magoo:

tug_of_war likes this.
  20. tug_of_war

Yeah, I have to agree. Great bassline, great bass tone, great playing. Can't go wrong with that Rick bass with flatwound strings. And MacCa plays it with gusto!

Rapol93, Who Cares and jmxw like this.
  21. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I don't know if the album covers have impacted how I feel about each album over the years, but 'Red Rose Speedway' as it was released feels very 'red' and warm to me, a melodic comfort blanket with a lot of soulful beautiful vocals and gorgeous melodies - I feel a big soul influence on 'My Love', 'When The Night' and 'Get On The Right Thing'.

With 'BOTR' on the other hand, I get a bluesy feel, more rocking and sparer instrumentally - it is also the tighter and more concise of the two albums.

I personally rate both very highly, and my only criticism of 'RRS' is that it would have been more impressive and diverse had Paul been able to release it as a double album.

22. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

The double would have been amazing, I love the 2018 release.

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I don't know if the album covers have impacted how I feel about each album over the years, but Rushes by The Fireman feels very red and warm to me. In fact, I start to feel a fire deep inside me; really hot down inside my loins. And then when I actually peek inside the album package, I get an even hotter feeling deep inside---and I mean really hot, really hot, overwhelmingly hot... ;)

[​IMG]

24. tug_of_war

I love your sense of humour, Arnold! :uhhuh:

25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I’m shocked to read this. Can’t disagree more. Anyone who disses “Mrs. Vandebilt” has to put up their dukes! :wantsome: