Curtis Mayfield 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition for ROG

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WhatDoIKnow, May 7, 2021.

1. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it Thread Starter

https://shop.runoutgroovevinyl.com/...eml=2021May7/5329495/6416261&etsubid=39380751

• 50th Anniversary edition features a second LP of bonus tracks new to vinyl
    • Comes in a tip-on gatefold jacket and pressed on 180g vinyl at Record Industry
    • Includes a Curtis Mayfield turntable mat and an insert with new liner notes
    • The first 1000 orders @runoutgroovevinyl.com get an exclusive transparent yellow edition.
    Track Listing:

Side A

1. (Don’t Worry) If There’s A Hell Below We’re All Gonna Go 7:46
    2. The Other Side Of Town 4:00
    3. The Makings Of You 3:40
    4. We The People Who Are Darker Than Blue 6:10
    Side B

1. Move On Up (Extended Version) 8:54
    2. Miss Black America 2:55
    3. Wild And Free 3:12
    4. Give It Up 3:45
    Side C

1. Power To The People (mono demo) 2:47
    2. Underground (mono demo) 3:11
    3. Ghetto Child (demo) 5:10
    4. Readings In Astrology (demo) 3:31
    5. Suffer 2:31
    Side D

1. Miss Black America (demo) 2:22
    2. The Makings Of You (backing track-take 32) 4:35
    3. (Don’t Worry) If There’s A Hell Below We’re All Gonna Go (backing track-takes 1&2) 9:34
    4. (Don’t Worry) If There’s A Hell Below We’re All Gonna Go (mono single version) 3:26
    This is going to feature the same "extras" that graced the 2000 Rhino deluxe CD.
    We've had this over and over, but I caved in :rolleyes:

2. srsch

srsch Senior Member

Yeah, so did I. Still looking forward to it though.

3. Hagakure

Hagakure Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if this will be an AAA release?

PoetryOnPlastic and dasacco like this.
  4. PoetryOnPlastic

PoetryOnPlastic Forum Reedmaker

Would like to know as well, I've heard conflicting things.

5. Vinyl&Kicks86

Vinyl&Kicks86 Active Member

6. WhatDoIKnow

Mine has finally shipped but I guess it'll take a while to get to Italy.
    Is there a way to determine if it is indeed a true AAA? Numbers in the deadwax or something like that? Sorry for the stupid question :sigh: but if I can help I will gladly report back once I have the record in my hands.

7. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

I found that info intriguing so I put a question in to the label, and I got a response:
    The big news - Original album is AAA! Cut from the tape!
    The extra material was cut from files.

Tommyboy, JasonA, WhatDoIKnow and 7 others like this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I already have this on LP and the expanded CD so I won't be going for this, but I'm always happy to see Curtis Mayfield's music getting attention and respectful reissues. What a great album this is, like most Curtis Mayfield and Impressions albums. I'd like to see his mid - late 70s albums and the Curtis era Impressions albums reissued more as I'm missing a fair few of those.

srsch, MGM, Fishleehooke and 2 others like this.
  9. I now have three versions of this terrific album but I didn't intend to have three versions: 1) MFSL cd; 2) original US pressing; and 3) reissue from the box set a few years ago. I like my original US pressing the best I think but that MFSL cd will funk out the right kind of car stereo system.

10. Kristian1980

Kristian1980 Forum Resident

Would love to get my hands on this today! Sadly, it seems it's not coming to the UK till late next month??? the ROG Mingus at Carnegie Hall out today seems widely available though!

11. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

For those interested, there is a very good 4 page article on Curtis focussing on his early solo albums (the first one and up to Superfly) in the latest edition of Uncut magazine (September 2021). A nice tribute by soul fan Paul Weller. It gives rightful kudos to the Live album. It also has a good long article on/interview with Leon Bridges if soul/r ‘n b is your bag generally. I have the first Curtis album on vinyl and CD, so won’t bother with this new release, but as Man at C&A says, it’s nice to see the focus. I wish America Today was available on vinyl at a decent price, and I keep thinking about getting the MOFI Superfly to go with my original, but I’m pretty much there otherwise, solo and soundtracks.

12. WhatDoIKnow

Mike H., Greenalishi and Dhreview16 like this.
  13. WhatDoIKnow

I ordered it from ROG directly because their albums seem to be hit and miss, as far as distribution outside the US goes. Plus I can't be bothered with the (sometimes much) inflated prices once they become available in Europe.

14. BawBag

BawBag Forum Resident

Yes. I ordered mine from Rough Trade in the UK. Was due today but now being told 27 August.

15. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Kristian1980 likes this.
  16. djej

djej Forum Resident

So the yellow edition is only available from the ROG site?

Wonder if they’ve sold through the first 1000?

17. WhatDoIKnow

No idea, I'm afraid.
    The many reviews on discogs don't shed any light either but it is a wonderful pressing, especially considering that so far only Charly or Snapper had bothered with terrible CD masterings.

googlymoogly likes this.
  18. WhatDoIKnow

Unclear but seems plausible re: yellow vinyl being exclusive to ROG.
    I can't imagine they sold out of that particular version, given that the album is so popular and has been pressed so many times in the last 20 years.

19. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

I usually don't like coloured vinyl from 50's, 60's, or 70's acts. It's just gimmicky and cheesy, especially if it's not really related to the record (ahem Doors VMP S/T in puke green). This, however is a different story. That bright yellow is totally iconic.

20. WhatDoIKnow

I'm listening :-popcorn:

21. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I've sent an email to Rhino's customer service to see if they can answer this question.

22. djej

djej Forum Resident

Ordered from Run Out Groove today. Looking forward to getting this one. Thanks for those who commented on the pressing quality and the AAA!

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  23. WhatDoIKnow

This forum is the best when it comes to motivating you to spend some more money, eh? :whistle:

Skydog7 likes this.
  24. djej

djej Forum Resident

Yes, there are times I need to stay away. I do just fine in the money-spending department without other suggestions or notices of new releases/reissues. :)

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  25. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Bump for reviews on this one