Curtis Mayfield 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition for ROG

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WhatDoIKnow, May 7, 2021.

1. Bingo Gazingo

Bingo Gazingo Forum Resident

Does anybody know if this is a new mastering or did they use the plates from the last reissues? The last one had HL in the deadwax

2. Bingo Gazingo

Bingo Gazingo Forum Resident

OK, apparently it's a new mastering by Jeff Powell.

uzn007, RiRiIII and Davido like this.
  3. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Thanks. I picked one up from my local independent soul store. £30, but less than lots of other places.

Mike H. and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  4. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Just listened to disc 1. Flat and quiet. Does the OG sound better? Haven't heard it, but imagine it would/could. Having said that, I think this is nicely done. The packaging is beautiful, too.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  5. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

For anyone who is also interested in the Rhino reissue of "There's No Place Like America Today" mentioned by @WhatDoIKnow above, Rhino customer service has confirmed to me that this mastering, done by Kevin Gray, is not an all-analog cut.

Tuck1977, Man at C&A and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  6. srsch

srsch Senior Member

However, it sounds excellent and is much cheaper than finding a mint original pressing. Kevin Gray's mastering of it is a great listen.

googlymoogly, WhatDoIKnow and Crush87 like this.
  7. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Yet its one of the best digital cuts I’ve heard in recent years

googlymoogly and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  8. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it Thread Starter

Thank you for taking the time and the trouble @googlymoogly!
    Personally I'm not that bothered about the mastering being AAA or not, and earlier today I discovered that the AAA pressing of Al Green Gets Next to You issued by Pure Pleasure suffers from the master tapes being in less than great shape. AAA isn't always the way, it would seem.

JasonA, googlymoogly and Garson like this.
  9. WhatDoIKnow

Jeff Powell has a great track record!

Bingo Gazingo likes this.
  10. WhatDoIKnow

Let us know what you think of it!

11. Garson

Garson Enthusiast

For me, it lacked some magic. Didn’t really do it for me and I sold it. Not bad, just unspectacular

12. WhatDoIKnow

May I ask what you compared it to? I love this Kevin Gray pressing.

13. Garson

Garson Enthusiast

I don’t have another comparison. No AB going on here. But when I see a KG cut, I buy. Maybe there never was magic. But this record didn’t do it for me.

14. googlymoogly

It's just that I prefer companies to be upfront about their sources.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  15. WhatDoIKnow

Understood, thank you and sorry if I sounded confrontational, it wasn't my intention at all.
    All I had before this Kevin Gray was a pretty bad Charly Records "remaster" on CD, so for me it's like listening to a new record.
    And that means being able to "get into it" at long last. I could never understand the high praise this particular album got from the press, now I have the opportunity to finally savour it.

srsch likes this.
  16. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

If you want Al Green vinyl, look for decent US or UK originals (Hi in the US, London in the UK). The London pressings are great. Same for other label mates like Ann Peebles.

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I can vouch for the UK London pressings too, I have them all and they're magnificent. Very high quality Decca pressings. Now I need to find the Syl Johnson ones!

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  18. Garson

Garson Enthusiast

You asked a perfectly reasonable question. No offense taken. Cheers

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  19. WhatDoIKnow

I've just checked and I have Total Explosion on the London label, bought new many years ago and probably only listened to once. The purple labels are really cool!
    I'll give it a spin tomorrow, while I await delivery of the Al Green Call Me on Speakers Corner - which, by the way, are absolutely (and quite consistently) wonderful!

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They are stylish. The earlier ones with the laminated sleeves are especially nice.

21. WhatDoIKnow

That's exactly the one I have :righton:

22. WhatDoIKnow

I listened to the Syl Johnson earlier and I can't say I was overly impressed, but I have always had problems with the bluesier side of soul.
    About the vinyl record itself, I noticed on discogs that there are a few copies being sold from Italy. A word of advice: for some reason, Italians seem to indicate M a copy which I for one would rate M-, i.e. opened and listened to, albeit in great condition overall.
    Oh, and my copy is laminated alright, but only the front. Weird!

googlymoogly likes this.
  23. googlymoogly

Pretty common for European pressings then, especially those whose jackets were printed in England. Lots of Argo albums from the period were done with the front sides laminated, but not the back covers. As an aside, I've never been too crazy about Syl Johnson's songs, either.

Back to the original topic: I had a chance to listen to the ROG pressing of "Curtis". Quite good as a mastering and a pressing, and compares more than favorably to the musical sonics of the older pressing I have (except the earlier copy is rather noisy vinyl). The version I got is the black vinyl pressing. I've never heard a truly shining mastering of this album, and it may just be the sound of the tapes themselves. However, a fine effort from Run Out Groove. I'd forgotten there's an album mat included with the package, BTW.

Juggsnelson and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  24. WhatDoIKnow

Thank you for your review! I don't know when I'll get my copy, it's still somewhere in the US.

Have you listened to the MoFi gold CD of Curtis? I find it really great, heads and shoulders above the '90s Rhino. I read really good things about the recent box set, records cut by Bellman, iIrc.

googlymoogly likes this.
  25. googlymoogly

I haven't heard that particular version. I like the album, and this version sounds very good and very listenable. Which box set was cut by Chris Bellman - the one that came out a couple of years ago?

WhatDoIKnow likes this.