Curtis Mayfield remastered box 1970-1974 coming 2/22/19 from Rhino

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jupiter8, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I would have bought that in a second!

fredblue and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  2. srsch

srsch Senior Member

3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The sequencing error matches the order in which the songs appear on the inner gatefold and the back cover of the original US LP sleeve but not the LP itself - perhaps the source of the confusion.

In the UK, the sequence on the LP is the same as on the US LP and the artwork (inner gatefold and back cover) has the songs in the correct order:

Curtis Mayfield - Back To The World [UK]

The 2014 WEA/Rhino CD reissue has the correct sequence and the non-matching back-cover artwork just like the original US LP (the CD re-issue does not include the inner gatefold artwork):

Curtis Mayfield - Back To The World [2014]

I was thinking these WEA reissues were sourced from the late 90s Sequel CDs but now I'm wondering if they were sourced from the earlier J!MCO editions.

The Sequel CURTIS/LIVE! (coupled with Curtis in Chicago on a second disc) is pretty much the same as the Rhino stand-alone re-issue (aside from different indexing) and is from a good tape source whereas the 2014 WEA re-issue sounds pretty grungy like the other Curtis Mayfield titles in the series. Perhaps some of this is from the mastering (not subtle on these re-issues) but I wonder if the source used for CURTIS/LIVE! was an earlier CD edition.

Up until now, some titles such as Back To The World and Sweet Exorcist seem to only exist on official digital releases in the form of one LP transfer which has been re-used for every CD issue as far as I know - with different re-mastering attempts for some of the editions.

g.z. and Hep Alien like this.
  4. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Other than Roots, and Superfly which is not included, you're better of with the live album.

5. srsch

srsch Senior Member

Back To The World is IMHO an excellent and essential LP. Sweet Exorcist is very strong. Both are in need of a good remaster as is Roots. Curtis has been remastered by MFSL and I really like that mastering.

Curtis/Live! ...the Sequel 2for CD sounds good to me, but that can't substitute for non Roots and Superefly material....

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

At least there's the 1999 Rhino for Roots - still room for improvement if the MFSL re-issue of Curtis is anything to go by but far better than the Sequel travesty (same deal for Curtis and Superfly).

[​IMG]

"Readings in Astrology" [mono mix]

7. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

Each groundbreaking album has been newly remastered, yet no info about the mastering and sources used for this box.

8. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

It will just be nice to have great sounding versions available with a choice of download or vinyl. I’m hoping for Rhino Faces vinyl box style quality cut from analogue tape.
    I’m expecting a hi res one size fits all approach.

jupiter8 and Electric Sydney like this.
  9. Rhino releases/remasters usually sound great so I preorder them without concern.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The problem with every CD, reissued vinyl, and download i've ever heard sounds wrong. First, the airplane radio talk is supposed to start abruptly, not fade in. Second, on the original vinyl, the strings and brass section are much louder. The drums are too prominent on the reissues. It's like there's a phase problem on the reissues.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I think it's mainly the heavy NR suffocating the needle drop and fades being used to hide the surface noise. Same with Sweet Exorcist and Got To Find A Way - the masters were presumably damaged in the fire (water damage).

Hopefully some better sources for the albums with lost/damaged master tapes have been located finally.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

If not, i'm sticking with my needledrop that I painstakingly did from the original 1973 vinyl.

13. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

I'm not sure if WEA Japan's 1000 R&B Best Collection series remaster of Sweet Exorcist from 2014 is a needledrop, but it is definitely the best sounding digital version of this album I have heard. Inner groove distortion is not really noticeable on this edition. For this attribute, it is preferable to the earlier JVC Victor (Japan) and Sequel reissues from the 90's.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Hep Alien and Mal like this.
  14. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I think it's the same old LP source but with modern DSP allowing for some further reduction in noise and distortion without such horrible muffling effect as the original NR methods already applied. The surface noise/distortion is still there though, just brought down a little and while the EQ is improved (albeit with healthy doses of multi-band compression) there's only so much you can do with these old transfers - they're nothing like a transfer of a good tape could be.

The WEA re-issues are an improvement on previous CD editions of Back To The World and Sweet Exorcist overall but hopefully this new set will use better sources. The other WEA Mayfield re-issues (Curtis, Curtis/Live! and Roots) similarly improved upon the poor sources used but far better sources were already available for those.

Hep Alien and HeavensAbove like this.
  15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Those processed Mayfield LP transfers certainly sound wonky - I wonder if they NR'ed not only L and R but also made a pass in L+R / L-R (mid/side processing). That might explain the excessive damage to the stereo phase information (boxy sound lacking in natural sounding ambient cues).

Grant likes this.
  16. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Take your time, do it right

Hep Alien and Rooster_Ties like this.
  17. HeavensAbove

I have not heard the WEA Japan remaster of Back To the World, but the Sweet Exorcist remaster is truly a sonic upgrade over previous editions. On the other hand, the Rhino Original Album Series remaster of Back To The World sounds nearly identical to the muffled Sequel version.

Mal and Hep Alien like this.
  18. HeavensAbove

According to this, the set will consist of newly-remastered versions of Curtis, Roots, Back To The World, and Sweet Exorcist.

Curtis Mayfield - Keep On Keeping On: Curtis Mayfield Studio Albums 1970-1974 | Rhino

Here's hoping Back To The World and Sweet Exorcist are from tape sources. "Future Song" is the last track on this version of Back To The World.

Mal and Hep Alien like this.
  19. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

My daughter has it now but as I recall, the first three albums (Curtis, Curtis/Live! and Roots) seemed to be the same mastering as the older (late 90s to 2000) Rhino editions (decent sounding overall - sounds like Rhino had good tapes for these and Superfly). Much better than the Sequels (UK, late 90s) except for Curtis/Live! which I think used the Rhino re-master (with different indexing and no bonus tracks).

The last two albums in the set (Back To The World and Sweet Exorcist) sounded like the old Sequel editions (themselves possibly derived from earlier CD editions and seem to be mainly transferred from LP although some tracks may be sourced from tape).

None of the albums in this Original Album Series set includes bonus tracks although there was bonus material included on the original Rhino CDs of the first 3 albums (and Superfly).

[This is the EU version - the US version has Superfly and drops Sweet Exorcist]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  21. Thank you mal. :tiphat:

Mal likes this.
  22. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Thanks for that.
    I have it on a watch list. Didn't realize there are two versions.

Mal and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  23. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

They just added a coupon to the pre-order on Amazon for an additional $2 off, so the set is now available for under $30 before taxes.

PhantomStranger and JasonA like this.
  24. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Any more info on the remaster, source etc?

Hep Alien, Tuck1977 and g.z. like this.
  25. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

I wonder if they'll make these available individually or not...