Curtis Mayfield remastered box 1970-1974 coming 2/22/19 from Rhino

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jupiter8, Jan 11, 2019.

1. JayNYC

JayNYC Chase that sound

@art great question, I didn’t realize this set would be available at HDtracks - it is indeed in both 96 & 192. Curious to see DRs on these 2 hires digital downloads compared to the physical CD set.

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

It turns out that Charly have issued Superfly with the bonus material on LP:

Curtis Mayfield - Super Fly (2014)

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly (The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (2016)

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly (2016)

Curtis Mayfield - Super Fly (2018)

[Some of these may be the same edition]

I wouldn't be surprised if the material was originally sourced from the Rhino CD set - seemed to be the case for the only version of theirs I tried (2002 Charly 2CD set). They dropped the interview, reordered the remaining bonus tracks a little and mangled the sound:

Curtis Mayfield - Super Fly (The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (2002)

3. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it. One thing I am a bit leery of is that I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Charly was not a good choice for the Curtis Mayfield material and should be avoided. Anyway, not to derail the thread, I did receive the new box today but have not yet had a chance to listen to it yet.

Hep Alien, landerstnkb and Mal like this.
  4. art

art Senior Member

Here's Back to the World 24/192
    nalyzed Folder: Curtis Mayfield/Back to the World/Back to the World_dr.txt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR12 -0.10 dB -14.24 dB 01 -Back to the World (Remastered).aif
    DR13 -0.10 dB -15.38 dB 02 -Future Shock (Remastered).aif
    DR13 -0.12 dB -15.88 dB 03 -Right on for the Darkness (Remastered).aif
    DR13 -1.11 dB -15.65 dB 04 -If I Were Only a Child Again (Remastered).aif
    DR13 -0.10 dB -14.85 dB 05 -Can't Say Nothin' (Remastered).aif
    DR13 -0.10 dB -14.72 dB 06 -Keep On Trippin' (Remastered).aif
    DR12 -0.11 dB -14.68 dB 07 -Future Song (Love a Good Woman, Love a Good Man) (Remastered).aif

Number of Files: 7
    Official DR Value: DR13

Here's Roots 24/192:
    -------
    Analyzed Folder: Curtis Mayfield/Roots/Roots_dr.txt
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR11 -0.10 dB -13.25 dB 01-Get Down (Remastered).aif
    DR11 -0.71 dB -14.10 dB 02-Keep On Keeping On (Remastered).aif
    DR13 -0.10 dB -16.21 dB 03 -Underground (Remastered).aif
    DR11 -0.10 dB -13.15 dB 04 -We Got to Have Peace (Remastered).aif
    DR12 -0.10 dB -13.49 dB 05-Beautiful Brother of Mine (Remastered).aif
    DR12 -0.10 dB -14.40 dB 06 -Now You're Gone (Remastered).aif
    DR12 -0.10 dB -13.65 dB 07 -Love to Keep You in Mind (Remastered).aif

Number of Files: 7
    Official DR Value: DR12

Here's Curtis 24/192:

Analyzed Folder: Curtis Mayfield/Curtis/Curtis_dr.txt
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR10 -0.10 dB -11.99 dB 01-(Don't Worry) If There's Hell Below We're All Going to Go (Remastered).aif
    DR12 -0.53 dB -14.72 dB 02-The Other Side of Town (Remastered).aif
    DR11 -0.75 dB -14.64 dB 03-The Makings of You (Remastered).aif
    DR11 -0.10 dB -14.15 dB 04-We The People Who Are Darker Than Blue (Remastered).aif
    DR10 -0.10 dB -11.89 dB 05-Move on Up (Remastered).aif
    DR11 -0.10 dB -12.87 dB 06-Miss Black America (Remastered).aif
    DR10 -0.10 dB -11.59 dB 07-Wild and Free (Remastered).aif
    DR12 -0.10 dB -13.91 dB 08-Give It Up (Remastered).aif

Number of Files: 8
    Official DR Value: DR11
    -

Crimson Witch and JayNYC like this.
  5. art

art Senior Member

The 24/192 sounds wonderful. Huge Curtis fan here. Pretty psyched.

RayMusicLover, landerstnkb and Mal like this.
  6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, since none of you were giving me the answers that I was looking for, I just found that it is now on Qobuz. So, I checked it out, and "Back To The World" is still wrong. I guess the correct master tape was destroyed. I'll just have to live with my needledrop of the original 1973 vinyl.

7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Keep On Trippin' (Remastered)

8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

What's the catalogue number for the "original Curtom CD"? I didn't think Curtom released Back To The World on CD (except through other labels).

9. Grant

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I have a vinyl rip somewhere - what is it you are not happy about with the new transfer? Compared with the old one, the primitive NR is gone and spatial cues are back. Even the pilot noise jumps in like the LP now and the fades aren't rushed.

Are you sure you sampled the new transfer and not an older one?

Back To The World (2019) »

I expect improvement can be had over these new remasters but for the first time Back To The World sounds pretty decent on CD - a huge improvement over previous editions based on that old NR'ed needledrop (same goes for Sweet Exorcist).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Hep Alien likes this.
  11. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

US edition:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FY3FDE6/

EU edition:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DDVPXSW/

[EU edition has Sweet Exorcist in place of Superfly]

Only Roots cannot be heard in better sound elsewhere, although you're better off with the original Rhino release with bonus tracks:

Curtis Mayfield - Roots (1999)

This new 2019 set isn't the best from a compilation standpoint and I don't know why they chose a later picture for the cover but it contains new transfers for Back To The World and Sweet Exorcist for the first time in the CD era as far as I am aware - finally replacing the tired old needledrops that date back a quarter of a century.

As such this new set is a major event!

13. bridgeless

bridgeless Forum Resident

Man, the vinyl set sounds wonderful, IMO.

I listened to Curtis and side 1 of BTTW last night and was very pleased. I have an original of BTTW but it’s a bit noisy, so I’m happy with the remaster.

14. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

Below is the link to the cd on Discogs. It is on the Movieplay Gold label (officially licensed by Curtom Records) which also did a 2 disc Curtis / Live cd that sounds great. I found out about it because it was listed as an official Curtom release in the little catalog that came with the original Curtom cd of There's No Place Like America Today I bought.

Technically you are correct that it was through another label, but it is not the same mastering that was used on the Charly releases that came later. The mastering is on par with the original Curtom Roots and Superfly discs which are still the best versions I have heard for those 2 albums on cd.

Curtis Mayfield - Back To The World

15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I have this one (also have their Superfly CD) - pretty heavy NR but it's interesting since it's not obvious whether it is from the same source as the others.

Still, I don't recommend any CDs of Back To The World or Sweet Exorcist I've heard prior to this 2019 release.

g.z. likes this.
  16. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The MPG Superfly is better but it still sounds NRed and has a bit of a "honk" to it tonally. I can see an argument for this one maybe given the compression on the Rhino but the MoFi puts them all to shame.

17. Grant

I sampled whatever Qobuz has represented in their boxed set.

What I am referring to is either the mix, or how, somehow, the strings and horns are too low, just like in the Charley and Rhino reissues.

18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Do you at least hear a vast improvement over previous CD editions?

I'm hoping MoFi will get their hands on some of these other Mayfield titles but for now I'm happy to have something at least as good as the decent Rhinos from 20 years ago finally for Back To The World and Sweet Exorcist.

g.z. and Hep Alien like this.
  19. E_Braunn_Fan

I never noticed the NR on the MPG BTTW cd because it sounded so much better then the other Charly version I had. And with the cd being from 1988 and on a smaller label it never even crossed my mind that it could be a possibility.

The Superfly and Roots versions I was referring to were the original Curtom releases not the MPG ones and I never noticed any NR on either of them, but I may have to give them a closer listen as well. They sound more natural and have that in the studio feel to them where as the Rhino remasters were just a little compressed and digital sounding.

I also preferred the original Curtom release of Curtis to the Rhino remaster. Do you think that versions has NR? Does the version in this set sound better then the original Curtis release?

I might have to get the MoFi Superfly now, but I haven't liked many of their new releases when compared to the older cd versions I already had.

20. Graham

Graham Senior Member

The MOFI Superfly being spread across four sides kills it for me. Totally unnecessary.

21. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I'm not sure if the 1988 date is when the CDs came out or just the date Curtom gave with the licence? Do you know if they were actually issued in 1988?

I guess it could be analogue NR - maybe that's where the slightly weird tonality comes from (seems to loose control a bit with hi-hats for example).

I've not heard any of the original Curtom label CDs :shake:

The MoFi Superfly sounds to me like it is a generation closer to the master than previous releases - at least, it lacks a layer of flutter heard on other releases I have. It's also much more dynamic - those Rototoms... :love:

Curtis Mayfield - Super Fly (Mo-Fi 2018 Hybrid SACD)

PhantomStranger likes this.
  22. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

I wish Curtom had put out their full Curtis / Impressions catalog on CD. I enjoy their versions.

Since they have not, I’m looking forward to receiving this set for Back to the World and Sweet Exorcist.

23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

thank you! this is what i needed to hear :)

24. E_Braunn_Fan

What about the dropout on the MoFi during the song Superfly (from 3:23-3:29)? Is it that noticeable? I was just reading through that old thread and was reminded of that issue.

25. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Not a major issue although it would be nice to know whether it was a problem with the tape or a mastering glitch. The level in the left channel drops a little and it sounds duller for a few seconds.

The album does seem to be from a different, perhaps lower generation tape than previous editions since there is a layer of flutter removed.

The dropout is a minor flaw in a fantastic sounding release.