CXN vs Node

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mikedifr0923, Jan 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident Thread Starter

My son will be moving out sometime this year and his room will become my office so computer and stereo will no longer be in the same room. Time to consider streamers. I have read everything about these that I could find on here but had a specific question based on the experiences of others here….

I do happen to have a decent amount of DSD files. I know neither handles DSD natively so my question is, if I end up using the DAC in my PS Audio Gain Cell Pre, is there a significant advantage to the CXN that’s worth the extra dollars?

2. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

User interface is key here. I hear people talk about how easy Node is to navigate and use. In fact, I have a friend who has one and loves it.

Best I've heard about CXN is that its workable. To me not a rousing review.

Doubt the CXN is better enough to warrant the outlay especially considering possible ease of use issues. I think most people go to CXN for the better DAC, which you already own.

Personally in your situation I'd get the Node.

I'm a Roon user and don't use either. Just a FYI. My friend has his Node 2 feeding a Chord Qutest and it a sounds great to me.

mikedifr0923 and jonwoody like this.
  3. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

As you have only one answer so far, I'll chime in. Not that I know better than @brubacca , just that sometimes it's nice to have more than one response. I have experience with both BluSound and Cambridge streaming.

I've used BluOS software with a NAD C368 integrated with BluOS-2i card. My understanding is, you would use the identical software on the NODE. I think the BluOS software is OK, easy enough to use, and it seems reliable. All BluOS devices will operate as Roon endpoints, and I've spent more time that way than using BluOS per se. The Roon operation has been flawless and -- this is one thing I like about Roon -- was exactly like running Roon on any other endpoint.

I used a CXN v2 for a day or so while considering it for a secondary system (I settled on a miniDSP SHD instead). I found the CXN worked well with its own software, but not very well with a generic DLNA controller (BubbleUPnP). Roon Labs lists the CXNv2 as Roon Ready, so it should work fine with Roon.

I can't say if the CXNv2 will be worth the extra money to you, but I suspect not. My suggestion would be to get the NODE from an outfit that allows returns (I like Crutchfield), so you can see how you like it. I expect you will, but if not, you then can try the Cambridge.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.