Dan Fogelberg: Unreleased studio recordings, live performances (+ possible deluxe editions)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Volt-and-Volume, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

With my Oppo, all info. appears on my TV screen. I saw and heard all this Friday, but simply accepted it as a mistake, and moved on.

Volt-and-Volume and Ralph Sidway like this.
  2. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

I also noticed the error on Spotify but figured it was just a Spotify error. Sorry that it's not and that Jean doesn't hear it! Whatever happens it's still a wonderful concert and thanks to Jean for getting it out there for the fans.

Volt-and-Volume and Ralph Sidway like this.
  3. timw

timw Senior Member

I'm not bothered by the error at all. It's just so nice to have this wonderful concert in my DF collection now. Jean and everyone involved did a
    great job. The 2-CD set is a very nice package and sounds outstanding!!!
    :edthumbs:

4. Volt-and-Volume

Volt-and-Volume Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree. It is regrettable, but (like you) I am still grateful for this release. It doesn't really detract from my enjoyment. And I won't mind buying it again, if there's a chance we'll get more "archival releases" due to satisfying sales numbers. Cheers, Ralph! :cheers:

Ralph Sidway and timw like this.
  5. Myke

Well, when I set it up on Discogs Friday, I almost immediately saw ticks in the " want " section. Today it's up to 2 of us " have," and 8 " want." Not bad in 3 days.

Dan Fogelberg - Live At Carnegie Hall

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  6. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

There's 3 now. I just added mine.

Myke likes this.
  7. Myke

I never expected to ever see more from that era of Dan's career. Shows you what can happen if you live long enough.:winkgrin:

cadesdad and Ralph Sidway like this.
  8. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Listening to the CD now and loving it!!!

Ralph Sidway and Volt-and-Volume like this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I haven't quite got a handle on exactly what the editing error is, but if one buys the FLAC download files, could the problems be fixed with some simple edits or is there actually music missing?

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  10. Volt-and-Volume

From Dan Fogelberg's Facebook page:

"Dan Fogelberg's original producer, musical collaborator, and long time friend, Norbert Putnam, has recently published the first in a series of three books! Music Lessons, Vol. 1 contains a very special section dedicated to his work with Dan on albums such as Home Free, Captured Angel, Nether Lands, Phoenix and The Innocent Age. The book's cover photography and design are the creative work of Jean Fogelberg. This book is a must read for all true Fogelberg fans..."

The book can be ordered here.

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  11. Ralph Sidway

Ralph Sidway Forum Resident

No music is missing. Rather, 'Sketches' plays twice, back to back, and the track transitions and times are wrong for tracks 9 through 11 on disc 1. The applause in-between songs would make it very easy to take out the duplicate of 'Sketches' and have a seamless result.

Volt-and-Volume and agentalbert like this.
  12. bigal00769

bigal00769 Forum Resident

Finally got to delve into this set while cleaning my fish tank this morning. What a concert. The sound is superb. Never thought we would get a release like this!

13. DEAN OF ROCK

This just gets better and better with repeated listens!

14. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

This is a solo show, no band, correct?

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  15. DEAN OF ROCK

Correct

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  16. Volt-and-Volume

Could someone please let me know how to post an image on this forum (transferring it from my laptop/desk)? I've never experienced a forum where it was so complicated to do this. It's so easy elsewhere (Facebook, etc.).

17. Myke

Outside of a copy, and paste, you have to use a site, like Photobucket.

Volt-and-Volume likes this.
  18. Myke

These were copy and paste.

19. Wonderful,magical performances.Takes your breath away in parts.
    Regarding the cover "damage".My copy doesn't seem to have any.Did Amazon not ship any of the damaged covers or did I just get lucky?

20. Myke

Mine has dimples. Maybe Australia got a different batch.

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

first pressing, that is a good thing.

Ralph Sidway likes this.
  22. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

To be clear on the tracking error, I believe that the two files 'Paris Nocturne' (6:29) and 'Sketches Summer' (1:46) contain the three songs 'Paris Nocturne', 'Sketches Summer', and 'Sketches Winter'. The 'Sketches Winter' track (3:49) is identical to the last 2:03 of 'Paris Nocturne' plus the 'Sketches Summer' (1:46) track. So.... if one just deletes the 'Sketches Winter' track entirely (assuming listening digitally), problem solved...?

Edit: To further clarify, I think the 'Paris Nocturne' track contains 'Paris Nocturne' and 'Sketches Summer'. The 'Sketches Summer' track actually is 'Sketches Winter'. I deleted the final track (track 11), renamed 'Paris Nocturne' (track 9) to 'Paris Nocturne/Sketches Summer' and renamed 'Sketches Summer' (track 10) to 'Sketches Winter'.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  23. Ralph Sidway

Major announcement from DanFogelberg.com and LivingLegacy.net (text copied from the email just sent out):

[​IMG]

The Colorado Music Hall of Fame will have a pre-sale going on for the Dan Fogelberg - Joe Walsh & Barnstorm - Caribou Ranch induction concert on August 13th! We are so lucky to be able to get a chance for good seats before the public! The pre-sale begins at 10 am Mountain time tomorow morning (Wednesday, June 7) and goes through Thursday 10 pm Mountain time.

So tomorrow morning, use this link . The pre-sale password needed is CMHOF.

It is going to be amazing to see the wonderful artists celebrate Dan's legacy. We hope to see you there!​

The CMHOF has a fine page here with brief summaries of the inductees' careers. Bios of the headlining performers are here.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  24. Ralph Sidway

A very interesting update on the official DF.com site, with a great photo-montage of Dan and his Guild 12-string (which is on its way to Colorado for installation in his exhibit for the CMHOF), and scans of a great article and insightful interview with Dan in Frets Magazine from 1985, right after High Country Snows was released. The article really gets into his solo-acoustic playing style, and there are some surprises in the interview.

This little comment from Dan stood out:

Well, first of all the recording went very smoothly, but we did a lot more material than we could use on the record. When we got Doc Watson to come, we sat down and did about three hours of stuff with us playing and Doc singing. It’s just wonderful, but none of it ended up on the record. Then one night we had the Chieftains in the studio, because at one point I was going to do half of the record as traditional Irish music. We actually cut a track with the Chieftains that is wonderful, but I didn’t use it because it would have been too difficult to divide up the sides and blend it all together. Who knows, maybe sometime in the future we’ll release some of that stuff.

As we know, the song recorded with the Chieftains — 'Song for a Carpenter' — was released on the 4-CD box set, Portrait. The three hours of unreleased material with the Bluegrass band and Doc Watson? We can only hope, but perhaps the deliberate link to this Frets article is meant to include this clue to more specific, unreleased, recorded music, like an "easter egg".

What do you all think?

25. Volt-and-Volume