Dancing With The Stars

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I hope not. He's the only one left who seems to be there only because of personality, not any dance ability.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

He's already been one of a few who was a mentor.

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

The first real upset was back in Season 5, Sabrina Ryan was eliminated early on. She was inarguably the best dancer that season (maybe ever) & should have beaten any of the finalists (Marie Osmond, Mel B, & Helio Castoneves) on pure ability. This was the biggest upset in DWTS history, imo.

The all-stars season (15) was a mess. Somehow Kelly Monaco got into the final over Sabrina, Drew Lachey, Helio, Apolo, & Emmitt Smith. She may be beautiful, but is a horrible dancer.

Season 24 saw gymnast Simone Biles eliminated early on. Although she is not the dancer that fellow gymnast Laurie Hernandez is, Simone should have been in the final over David Ross on dance ability. Also, Normani, the most talented dancer that season, should have won instead of getting 3rd place.

More than a few times, at least one seat in the final went to someone less deserving from an objective dance-ability standpoint, including Bristol Palin (11), Kirstie Alley (12), Rob Kardashian (13), Ryker Lynch (20), & the aforementioned David Ross, as examples.

This season (27), Juan Pablo performed to a consistently high level throughout, including this week's amazing Argentine Tango. Despite getting judges scores that reflect his dance ability, he was eliminated before getting to the final. This may rank up there with Sabrina's elimination as the biggest travesty in the show's history.

The point is, that it's not just the objective dance competition portion that gets people into the final.

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

DWTS isn't like a sporting event where the best team or athlete (at least of that day) prevails. It's a popularity contest. Sure, the judges' scores help steer the results a bit (but even those scores sometimes are overly generous to some performers) but when you have half of the final score dependent on audience vote then what you clearly have is a popularity, not competency, contest. It's why people with greater name recognition who are only mediocre dancers make the top 3 or 4 while better dancers with a smaller fan base go home before them. Hopefully no one involved actually thinks that the results are a 100% accurate reflection of the contestants' dancing abilities.

jpelg likes this.
  6. shokhead

Judges' scores need to count more and fan votes less.

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I remember when psycho Kate from Jon & Kate was on. My sister in law said she was abysmal, but Kate was on Twitter stirring people up and implying that she was standing up for decency, with conservative religious overtones and she made it through a couple rounds. My wife asked why is she still on if she's so bad? and I answered just like lv70 did--it's a popularity contest like high school.

8. shokhead

They almost never get eliminated in the right order to their dancing but in the end, most of the time the right ones end up in the finals.

9. MikaelaArsenault

Heads up:

Stevie Wonder is performing on Dancing With The Stars: Juniors tonight.

Don’t know the song he’s doing though, but I have a couple of ideas in mind.

10. shokhead

I thought he was dancing?

11. MikaelaArsenault

No.

12. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I assume you meant this as a joke, but there was a vision impaired contestant this season and there have previously been other contestants with different physical impairments.

13. MikaelaArsenault

Here’s what’s expected for the finale:

14. shokhead

No, I wasn't joking.

15. shokhead

I've watched every season all the way through. I've seen every single one of them.

16. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Sorry. I just thought it was an attempt at humor that escaped me.

Unless Stevie has already been learning how to partner dance, it's not realistic that he could just step on stage after minimal rehearsal and dance. Even a lot of people who can see don't do so well the first week each season and I think they generally have a couple of weeks of practicing with their partners before the first live show.

17. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

(cough-cough-fixed-cough-cough)

18. shokhead

19. MikaelaArsenault

Winner: Bobby Bones

Fourth Place: Alexis Ren

Third Place: Evanna Lynch

Second Place: Milo Manheim

20. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

So much for the claim that the person who wins is typically the best (or at least a very good) dancer. This win underscores the problem of the judges given anything other than poor scores to people who really cannot dance. I know that handing out 1s and 2s at the beginning would seem overly harsh to many, and handing out 4s or 5s towards the end of the season might be unpopular, but separating those who actually have demonstrated dance ability from those who haven't by a very slim margin because everyone gets at least an 8 when they get to the finale only gives tremendous power to the audience who is going to vote based on personality, not dancing ability.

As I wrote earlier, I don't really take this show seriously even though I find it entertaining, but this may be the very first win on this series that's entirely undeserved. It's like Lee DeWyze winning season 9 of American Idol.

21. MikaelaArsenault

Evanna or Milo could've won.

22. shokhead

So you will use this one as the norm when it’s the outlier? Really, not fair but if you want to sound right then use it

23. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I'm not suggesting this is the new norm. Only time will tell if that's true. But I stand by my assertion that the judges would do better by giving scores that actually reflect how well someone danced and not just give everyone increasing scores throughout the season because surely people deserve to get an 8 if they have made it to the semifinals. I do realize this is all for entertainment, though, and not to be taken seriously (though the people involved seem to take it very seriously). The show isn't "fair" from the outset, pitting young people with performance and dance experience against seniors who may have the former but definitely don't have the latter.

jpelg likes this.
  24. shokhead

I said the norm, not the new norm
    Ones the past and ones going forward
    I’ve said it before, they may not leave in the right order but most the time the best end up in the finals
    I guess I watch it for entertainment rather then a compation

25. MikaelaArsenault

The cast for Season 28 has been announced:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.