Dark Waters (2019 film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Juan Matus, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile Thread Starter

If you like legal dramas and films like "The Insider" or "Spotlight" this might be good.

Dark Waters is an upcoming American legal thriller film directed by Todd Haynes and written by Mario Correa and Matthew Michael Carnahan. It is based on the 2016 article "The Lawyer Who Became DuPont's Worst Nightmare" by Nathaniel Rich, published in The New York Times Magazine,[2][3] though much of the underlying story was first reported in-depth by two other journalists: Mariah Blake, whose 2015 article, "Welcome to Beautiful Parkersburg, West Virginia," ran in HuffPost Highline,[4] and was a National Magazine Award finalist,[5] and Sharon Lerner whose series, "Bad Chemistry," ran in the Intercept.[6][7] The film stars Mark Ruffalo, Anne Hathaway, Tim Robbins, Victor Garber, Mare Winningham, William Jackson Harper, and Bill Pullman. It is scheduled to be released on November 22, 2019, by Focus Features.

MRamble likes this.
  2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Looks good. Current Rotten Tomatoes score: 93%.

Man, that Mark Ruffalo is looking more and more like Vincent D’Onofrio every day, huh?

Juan Matus likes this.
  3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Is this similar to A Civil Action?

4. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I watched the trailer and this looks like a really terrific film... right up my alley. Trouble is, it's out now and playing nowhere near where I live.

5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I’m in the same situation. However, Rotten Tomatoes says it opens wide next Friday, so hopefully more theaters will be playing it then.

Khaki F likes this.
  6. townsend

townsend Senior Member

smilin ed likes this.
  7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Just saw this, it was excellent.

smilin ed likes this.
  8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Just saw this. Highly recommended. Comparable to the legal thrillers mentioned here as well as the tv series Damages and Goliath.

smilin ed likes this.
  9. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I rented it on Apple TV not that long ago, really good movie, and inspired me to look at the documentary "The devil we know" as well which is about the same issue.

Juan Matus and smilin ed like this.
  10. the jesus abyss

the jesus abyss Forum Resident

Very strong drama, nothing flashy, yet great performances & the material was handled well. Bill Camp is quickly becoming one of my favourite actors. I've seen the guy pop up in 20+ films in the past 10 years. Though I referred to him as "the guy from Compliance!" until the past couple of years where he seems to be getting bigger & more prominent roles. Always elevates whatever he appears in.

BNell likes this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I watched this yesterday, very disturbing but not surprising. I grew up in a one company town and the main industry wasn't exactly clean either.

12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I really liked this movie. I was never a Travolta fan but thought A Civil Action was excellent.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

mark ruffalo is so so so under-rated.

this is a very interesting film.

14. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Isn't that about the fifth Dark Water(s) movie?
    I liked this one from 1994, a throwback to the Italian flicks of the 80's

[​IMG]

15. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

will check it out , just watched his 'safe' movie and i am gonna check more films by him