Darlington Labs Phono Preamps

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DJSpinner, May 2, 2021.

1. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Hey @theflattire not sure if you care or not, but your name and presumed work ID are visible in that picture you shared.

Davey likes this.
  2. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

Thanks.
    I'm already all over the internet and I don't work there anymore.

3. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Ordered the MP-7 today. Will be without my table for a little while but eager to see what all the fuss is about when this finally arrives and my table's back in my hands.

Stone Turntable, RD_57, Dafox and 3 others like this.
  4. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

It’s really fantastic. You’ll love it.

5. TIm13

TIm13 Forum Resident

For those that have upgraded from the MM-6 to the MP-7 would you describe the difference as HUGE or was it slightly better? I have the MM-6 currently and think it's pretty great. I probably don't really need to upgrade to the MP-7 but I'm curious as to how much better it is.

6. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Same house sound, but more extended at the frequency extremes. I wouldn't call it huge, but a little more of what makes it good. Worth the price difference is hard to say, but I have no regrets as it still represents a great deal.

matthewp, TIm13 and theflattire like this.
  7. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Good to hear, I tried an Adagio for a short time, so have a baseline there!

My question is how would you stack up the MP7 w/ Cinemag vs MP7 w'Hashimoto? What MC carts have you tried with either (or both)? I don't think you mentioned the cartridge you used...

If I were to get an MP7, I'm going to be in the market shortly after to get a SUT, and I want to try a passive one.

8. theflattire

Kinda hard to say as I changed everything out around the same time; Modwright for MP-7 and Hashimoto for Cinemag. I had the SUTs together for only a couple of days.
    The biggest improvement with the SUTs was the sound stage; left and right. I would say depth also increased, so imaging too. Not meaning the Cinemags were flat, just that the HM-7 is bigger.
    I would have to say that was the most noticeable.
    I was using an OC9XSL then.

I would probably try the Ned Clayton CM1254 as it has four gain settings. Easier to match with a wider range of carts.
    I think a better match for the MP-7 with fixed gain.
    Keep in mind that MC carts come in a wider range of outputs, like low and medium.
    You should also go though the SUT thread.

TheVinylAddict and Seafinch like this.
  9. TIm13

TIm13 Forum Resident

Thanks for this response. I just don't want to have to send mine back and wait a month for the upgrade haha. In hindsight, I should have just gone for the MP-7 but I have really enjoyed the MM-6.

10. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Thanks much... as you know SUTs are all about matching the right cart. The HM-7 sounds interesting.

11. drmevo

drmevo Forum Resident

I’m trying to chase down a slight issue, and I’m not sure if it’s power-related or what. I have my MM-5 going into a Parasound NewClassic 200 Integrated. If I turn up the volume to about the max I would listen to comfortably, I hear a steady low-level tapping at about 240bpm or perhaps a little faster. It sounds like some sort of cell or WiFi interference, but I can get it to away for awhile or lessen if I sort of move the MM-5 around. If I move the power cable in different ways, it seems to change the intensity. I can’t hear the sound at all from my listening position, but I can from right next to the speakers. Doesn’t happen on any other inputs or with the MM-5 shut off.

I’ve tried isolating the MM-5 cabling from other devices and I’ll think it’s gone but then it comes back eventually. Anyone have any ideas what this might be?

Edit: It’s gone for now - I think it was something from the HT Bypass connection between the Parasound and my AVR. I had to move the MM-5 power cord well away from those two interconnects and that seemed to do it. Sorry for the false alarm.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    goldwax likes this.
  12. OldandBroken

OldandBroken Forum Resident

Ive heard that sound with my MP-7. Was was moving cables but didn’t help. I unplugged an Ethernet cable for another reason and it went away.

drmevo likes this.
  13. theflattire

My router is only two feet away and I was getting a helicopter sound.
    I used metal sign as a shield and the sound went away.

drmevo likes this.
  14. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

I’ve had that sound on an unshielded Grado phono before, the wireless router was the source of the signal the phono was picking up as a helicopter like sound.

I would assume the Darlington is shielded to the point that wouldn’t be a problem, but don’t have one (yet) so can’t say.

15. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I have a similar issue with my MP-7/SU-7 set up: Recently, there is a quiet to loud hissing sound coming through my speakers when phono is selected. It varies from a light wind-like sound to a louder sound that sounds almost like an electric guitar when you plug it into a distortion pedal and you’re not playing anything.
    After emailing Keith, he suggested i return both units and is now evaluating them.

16. lsipes1965

lsipes1965 Forum Resident

I’ve never purchased a component that saved me multi $k in future outlays…until the MP7. Let me explain. I’ve had it in my mind that if Chad Kassem ever reissues Zeppelins catalog, I’d buy most of it. No more. I was admittedly skeptical about the reports of diminished groove noise and clicks pops. No more. I’m not even sure how to describe it. It’s still there but not in your face irritating like before. Half my collection is used stuff I picked up cheap back in the early 90’s and as such a lot of it is well loved on. Oscar Peterson Trio With Respect to Nat is such a popcorn factory I could never get through the whole thing without pulling it in irritation. I found out that disc has an awesome soundstage:)

So on I went, pulling oldies out just to enjoy them without looking over in irritation. I told a buddy if it just matched the soundstage of the 12ax7 stage in my pre, I’d keep it. There’s 20 itty bitty screws in that thing to be removed when tubes need replacing. And it’s a little noisy. Not the MP7. Dead nuts quiet. I’m hearing deeper into the soundstage minus the noise. It is a better stage in that respect so far. So, 2 days in and I’m a happy camper. If you’re on the fence, just order it. Any questions?, Keith has answers and you won’t wait long to hear them. Outstanding.

PrairieBoy, jeffrey75, RD_57 and 7 others like this.
  17. drmevo

drmevo Forum Resident

My router is nearby but I believe I’ve powered it off completely in the past and the noise persisted. If the noise comes back I’ll have to try it again. I do have Ethernet going to AVR so perhaps that was the sources.

goldwax likes this.
  18. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

Just had an MP-7 arrive today. The goal is to see how it compares to the phono pre in my Luxman CL-38uSE in my main setup. I’m waiting on a couple things before I’m going to plug it in there, but I couldn’t wait so I plugged it into my other secondary setup. SL-1200GR w/ VM740ML > MP-7 > Yamaha A-S501 > Klipsch Heresy 1 w/ Crites XOs.

I knew this would be better than the onboard pre in the 501 but I had no I idea what I was in for, with no break-in it sounds incredible. Better extension on both ends, glorious midrange that makes these heresys rival my main systems Harbeths (crazy). Then the thing everyone says - it’s SO quiet. It’s quite jarring just how silent it is in the groove. If this doesn’t stick in the main setup it’ll be hard to not just keep it for in the secondary one. Well done Darlington!

Telcoman, Kray, PrairieBoy and 16 others like this.
  19. theflattire

20. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I ordered an MM-6 today. I never realized they are from right here in Massachusetts!
    I have a VPI Scout 1.1 bought used here from phishman. It was one year old when I got it and it basically sat until later in 2020 when started playing again. It came with a 2M Black that seems to pick up every imperfection and amplifies it 20-fold :D. I'd guess it has maybe 500 hrs on it.

I knew I would eventually buy a preamp, and another cartridge that was more subdued with the T's and P's, as all I've ever used in my receivers preamp. I never really got to listen to any. but in reading the multitude of threads here and elsewhere it became evident that the Darlington line was more friendly with t's and p's having higher headroom and zero negative feedback.

I ordered only the preamp for now to see if it could help tame some of my noisy pressing's before I buy a new cartridge. If I decide to go LOMC, I can pick up the SU-6 step up transformer as well.

Chris

21. reidc

reidc Senior Member

sweet- ordered a set of BlueJeans cable to connect it- can't wait!

TSWisla likes this.
  22. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

That’s what I use. It sounds fantastic.

reidc likes this.
  23. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

OK. Trying Darlington in the main system today. It’s really nice. Feels a bit more detailed, but it’s close. Maybe a bit less meaty so it sounds like stuff is carved out a bit more, but I think I kind like the meat of the Luxman phono.

Will report back.

24. theflattire

As much as I like the MP-7 I would have been a bit disappointed had the Luxman lost that battle

25. Triffid

Triffid Forum Resident

MP-7 in the house. On the third LP it’s opening up nicely. I’m going to enjoy getting back to vinyl again.

hman, reidc, bluemooze and 2 others like this.