Dave Letterman is going to be a father

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Matt, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Better late than never! There is nothing in life more precious:)
    I wish them well:) CONGRATS!!!!!

3. RDK

RDK Active Member

A father!? I didn't even know he was married....

(said only partly in jest)

4. Matt

Ever see that Calvin & Hobbes strip where Calvin (forever 6) asks his Uncle Max if he had any kids? "No, I'm not even married." To which Calvin replies, "What difference does that make?"

Hee-hee...

5. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Hm. I'm jealous. I wanted to name *my* first child "David Letterman Junior."

6. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I didn't know he was an NBA player "wanna be" having a child without getting married.

He is off my list of "quality" people.

I wish the child all the best. I hope he or she can overcome the handicap of his or her parents.

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Where's Joseph McCarthy when you need him. :rolleyes:

Seriously, can't we just be happy for the guy? All he's ever done is make us all laugh. He's always been a private person and I have no idea what his personal life is like, and it's really none of our concern. This is about as close as he's ever brought us to himself. I don't think any differently of him now than I did yesterday, nor should anyone else. If you look too closely into anyone's life (which is rude) you'll find something you don't approve of. Just look at the crap politicians go through. It's hideous.

8. PMC7027

Jamie,

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. But to say that "I don't think any differently of him now than I did yesterday, nor should anyone else" is denying EVERYONE else the right to have their own opinion.

I also don't think it is being "rude" or looking too closely in this case. He has said on his TV show many times that he is not married, and he is going to announce that he is going to be a father. My reaction was based on information that David Letterman made publicly available.

It is perfectly OK for you to think that it is acceptable for people to have children without being married. Please don't say that it is not OK for me to think otherwise.

Now, without hard feelings, back to the music...

9. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

[Edited by Lil.Fred, so as to remain on PMC7027's list of "quality" people]

10. Matt

An NBA wannabe? Okaaaaay.....

11. PMC7027

No I am not kidding! I'm sorry you have a problem with me thinking that children should, if possible be brought up in a stable home with married parents.

I am not some kind of "marriage fetishist" as you call it. I was brought up in a home where my parents were happily married for 41 years until my mother died, and I've been happily married for 20. I have no problem with people not wanting to get married, I just don't believe they should have children.
    Please notice that in Jamie's reply to my post, and my reply to his neither of us called each other names.

Gort, are you reading this thread?

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Sorry if I offended you Dave.

13. PMC7027

Jamie,
    I sent you a PM.

14. Matt

Yeah, but don't you think it's possible for a home to be stable even without marriage? Obviously, marriage doesn't necessarily bring stability (I have plenty of friends who will attest to that), but bear in mind, this is a woman Dave has had a relationship with for many years. He rarely lets the public know who he's dating because he prefers to keep it private and healthy. The only bad relationship he ever had was with a colleague at NBC, back in the early 80's, and that was a long lasting relationship that had plenty of ups and downs. Dave's a bit eccentric, but he's also a down-to-earth Indiana boy. Family means a lot to him (he still remains very close to his). He may not be legally bound to this woman, but I don't think the present situation isn't going to ruin his future child.

15. PMC7027

I find it interesting that you mention "family" when the mother of Dave's child will not be his "family" by the original definition.

I'd rather not continue this thread since we are going in a direction that could get "heated." Suffice it to say that we agree to disagree on the importance of being married before having children.

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

[CHANGE OF SUBJECT]So, anyone hear David Letterman is having a baby? :)

Wow, that's great news. I hope it can be the start of a great family life for him.
    [/CHANGE OF SUBJECT]

17. Matt

Sigh, all right. Though just to be clear, the woman isn't going to be cut out of his life (I think emotional bonds are better definitions of family in the spiritual sense than legal bonds).

One thing that I wonder about is Dave's joke about dying before the kid gets old enough to get in trouble. Everyone thought it was funny, but seriously, with his health history and his age, maybe that is something to think about it?

18. RDK

RDK Active Member

Why do i think that David Crosby is somehow involved with this...

:D :D :D

19. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

We'll see if he gets a bald baby with a big mustache.

20. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

"We don't need no piece of paper from the City Hall
    Keeping us tied and true
    My old man, keepin' away my blues"

-- Joni Mitchell

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

When appropriate, Check the teeth...No denying those:)

22. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Right -- you're "not taking a position" -- Right ... Right! I commend you -- the position you're taking is Right.

23. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

OK Wags, if you say so -- I misunderstood.

Myself I welcome life into the world no matter what circumstances it comes in. Not all alternative lifestyles are good -- you have to feel your way through.

The earlier comment, not by you, about children out of wedlock not being part of the "traditional family" (or similar wording) made me gasp. What would William the Conqueror (a well known illegitimate child and the founder of the current English royal family) have said? None of us is "legitimate".

No limits, no laws. And of course I'm freaked out when I correspond with people (let's face it, this forum is a kind of correspondence) and then suddenly they go off on some traditional-family deal. And it's not odd I'm surprised -- this is a rock and roll website, basically. Is it about to censure Mick Jagger for his (umpteen, or perhaps hundreds?) of illegitimate children? You see why I'm taken aback.

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

OOOOOOkay.....

Back to the topic. MY question is, when Dave tickles the child, will it go "HEE hee hee hee"(like Dave does)?:laugh:

Evan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.