Dave Mustaine (Megadeth) diagnosed with throat cancer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rapid Fire, Jun 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I mean, I understand why you believe what you do. It's a far more chipper outlook, though I don't think that my view is necessarily moribund in itself. You intimated it yourself: it's a matter of acceptance. If one cannot explain - with concrete evidence - why destruction follows human beings, or cancer riddles our bodies, or why entropy is a law, then I accept that things just are, exactly as love enters our lives, a newborn child gives us joy, or when somebody smiles we smile in return.

That said, I never wrote that death voids the contract, only that death voids the ink, for without the ink the contract is either fulfilled or meaningless, as there are only two options when we pass: something or nothing. Hypothesizing may give one a sunnier outlook while living, but in that final moment it gives us zilch, as we are all equal: a cancer eradicated. :) That's the cure.

2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Dave Mustaine is a feisty character. Let's hope he can channel that to stay positive while the medics do their thing.

Fingers crossed!

Brenald79 and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Every 7 years every cell in your body is replicated and replaced. Bound to be a glitch or two in the human gene codex. With or w/o all the poisons produced to kill other living things floating in the system.

Dusty Sommers, J_D__ and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Hey, I simply wanted to apologize to everyone in this thread. This thread is about Dave Mustaine and I would be thrilled if he survived this cancer, because that means he could contribute to our lives as he'd like to. I'm sure that everyone in this thread would love him as a continual part of our lives. I know that I would. Without him there would be a Dave Mustaine shaped-hole in our lives that is empty. We would mourn that loss of ourselves.

To the cancer survivors who posted in here: Thank you. Without your endurance I'm sure your loved ones would not be as enriched as they are today.

When my life told me this news last night, might heart sank a little. I told my 16-year old son (who is learning the ways of metal) and he was in shocked over this news.

If anyone hasn't read Dave's book, do yourself the favor and check it out. Mustaine: A Life in Metal. It's one of the most honest and revealing books in the genre.

Besides, who wants another "RIP thread?" Dave has never rested...so, I'm sure he doesn't want to stop now.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  5. Geez, the above is what I get for typing without my glasses on. :biglaugh:

Jarleboy and carlwm like this.
  6. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Any update on this?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I guess he beat it for now. These things can come roaring back, but so far he's fine and rocking.

8. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

wow, 7th grade called. It said to learn the song better...

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of his music but I'm glad he's doing fine! :righton:

10. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

11. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Well he's pretty safe as other users mentioned.
    Met him on tour this January (and of course went to the concert in Amsterdam) - he's totally fine. As he announced on those concerts, he's 100% free of cancer.
    P.S. I guess his voice is not yet fully recovered for "on the road" mode though. Or he had some minor cold. Still the overall performance of the band was stellar and he kept bringing up some neat surprises (like The Conjuring and Dread and the Fugitive Mind).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

I noticed he tweeted last month that his sister has died.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. manco

manco Forum Resident

Was Dave a smoker?

14. manco

manco Forum Resident

That's the ****ty thing about aging, you keep getting older and everyone else in your peer group keeps disappearing. I'm imagining being alive in 40 years and only having Millennials/Zoomers to socialize with. *shudder*

15. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

If he was, there aren’t many pictures of him smoking. Usually there are tons of pictures if a person is a heavy smoker.

warewolf95 and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

He was in the early days of Megadeth. I'd say up until 1989-1990.

17. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

I'm glad to see that Dave has so far beaten the cancer. Was he an alcoholic? Heavy alcohol use can also contribute to throat cancer.

18. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

"Was he an alcoholic?"

Dave Mustaine was THE alcoholic. He got kicked out of Metallica for being a mean drunk.

He spent the advance on the first Megadeth album on crack and heroin.

His history of substance abuse was well documented even back then, he was known as someone who would drink, smoke and shoot it all.

19. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

Yikes!

warewolf95 likes this.
  20. manco

manco Forum Resident

Too bad the 1980s rampant drug use was not sustainable. Definitely the coolest era. Too bad Gar Samuelson had to die early. Well at least he left a good looking corpse.

21. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

[​IMG]

This pic was obviously taken before he got kicked out of Megadeth because he was repeatedly pawning band equipment for drug money...but he was already jaundiced and emaciated before leaving Megadeth.

I highly doubt that liver cancer at 41 due to a massive and sustained hard drugs and alcohol intake leaves anyone's idea of a "good looking corpse", Broham.

22. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

the same has been attributed to Poland. who knows if either is true.

23. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Well, Poland turned himself and his life around and has admitted as much, but Mustaine worked with Poland again, tried to work with Gar and Nick Menza but neither one would pull it together...

Drummers.

24. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I was going to say, I thought it was Chris Poland that pawned the equipment off to feed his habits. I believe Dave wrote the song "Liar" about him off of 'So Far, So Good...So What!'. Gar was just unable to perform live under the influence so both were kicked out at the same time.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

To hear Dave Mustaine tell it, he's been surrounded by some of the worst people who ever lived. Almost exclusively. I'm sure he's rubbed elbows with a fair number of junkies in his time, but given the 6000 or so people who've been in Megadeth over the years, I'm sure at least some of it is down to him.

Spaceboy, NudieSuitNezHead and JCRW like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.