David Bowie 50th Anniversary Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Nov 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Personally, I hope as unlike the Queen remasters as possible. They were a total rip off. The very short bonus discs included tracks from their Greatest Hits and other live albums. Also, incomplete BBC Sessions, instrumental backing tracks and isolated vocal tracks. The demos on the debut album are good, but there was only one previously unreleased song across the entire lot and that was the forgettable 'Feelings Feelings'. The discs were all full price.

Ludger and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

Yeah I know. It's more the idea and format I'm talking about. The content could be better ofcourse. I'm just hoping that once there will be a uniform series with good, consistent mastering all throughout with bonus non-album singles, B-sides etc. Not a fan of remixes and outtakes so this could surely be on one disk (certainly for the 70s albums) with an extra DVD for videos, live footage, hi-res formats, multichannel mixes... So you could have the albums together with the extra tracks you like without having to buy all the boxsets.

3. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

David bowie 50th special limited editions with even less care and more compression than the useless boxes we’ve been pushing out! Buy it now before we make them sound even worse for the 60th!

4. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Do we know when the current Bowie / Parlophone deal is due to expire?

5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

If they do start to appear and are the most recent remasters, I will be very frustrated. I think a rarities collection would be a better idea for now. I don't think either will happen though, until after the box set series is finished, so I wouldn't bet anything on it.

6. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

If they (Bowie's publishers) do nothing the decision will be made for them.

Every year that passes, Bowie's imprint in the musical consciousness diminishes.

His music is never ever going to gain a significant number of new fans.

The music either gets released soon when there is still a small-but-significant market for it (a market that is dying); and his family and estate can benefit;

or

it's gets kicked down the road until its market value is essentially nothing and its not worth releasing.

40th anniversary records were interesting to many; 50th to some; 60th will be interesting to hardly anybody. Who wants to wait to see this stuff on crappy shopping channels flogged like the music of the rock and roll era to old gits in nursing homes pissing their pants?

7. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

Didn't they already transfered it so many times the tape is hanging by a thread? I think 2015 transfer had more noticeable tape damage than 2009. And 2009 sounded pretty good anyway.

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Even so. They could do a much better job of the digital repairs than the 2015 did, the 'fixes' on that probably sound worse than whatever the damage was

WeeSam likes this.
  9. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Just do a Bowie anthology type thing, I think the 40th anniversary was the last chance to give the people want they want.

As great as the White Album deluxe is I think they did it 10 years too late, time moves on and there are less and less people around who want this....let's see if we get a 50th deluxe box of Beyonce's 4 album or Adele's 19, you never know!

Bowie has plenty in the can that could come out but I think should be a stand alone release and seems more value.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    WeeSam likes this.
  10. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

hence use the best available lowest generation source.

Need not necessarily be the original master if that is damaged beyond digital repair.

Though digital restoration (using mint LPs and CDs as a reference) by a competent engineer, is possible in very many cases.

The tools available to audio engineers are incredible. It beggars belief that recent releases have been plagued by hiss, energy drops and glitches. Absolutely NO need for this. It's possible to get very close to the original sound and make it as clean as possible without reducing quality in any way.

11. Tluc455

Tluc455 Member

Any advice for best bang for the buck Bowie?

12. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

I need the same BUT on vinyl 2xLP or 3xLP. Please release it, i am a buyer :)

13. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

That's what surprised me about the Bowie album box set collections of the last few years - none of the existing 5.1 mixes were included.

14. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.