David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i read that too but i couldn't hear anything untoward when i checked.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  2. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

How do you see that? When I go in on Amazon UK, it is still there!
    Just curious...

3. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

that's the single edit, so the "dolphin" verse is the opening verse. it doesn't drop in volume.

Mistermono likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

8-Tracks.

Merrick likes this.
  6. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

But you profess to dislike needle-drops, and even more so "fake" single edits from superior sources simply cut up to "match" the original single. What were the producers' options, then?

Thanks for the tip on the source. I thought it sounded great on Tidal. Absolutely deserves the place of honor it got on the CD sequence.

7. Wipeout

Wipeout Forum Resident

It is indeed heartening to know that over on the Amazon US website someone identified as "Dingleberry" has voiced his/her reservations and left another solitary star amongst the fetid collection of aghast reviews and faint praise for ANCINANT. It might be said that there is little bit of Dingleberry in many Bowie fans as of last Friday.:rant:

DHamilton and Django216 like this.
  8. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. It's just bizarre that no one caught it. I mean, did the mastering engineer step out for a beer and leave the intern in charge? Or was this simply the result of sloppy, rushed work from having to meet a tight deadline?

9. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

um, when did i profess to dislike needledrops? i profess to dislike BAD needledrops, and yes i dislike fake single edits if they are inaccurate as should anyone who gives a sh1t. this one is inaccurate. hence i singled it out among the list of noted flaws.

10. LCM

LCM Active Member

no buzz in the RCAs nor my orig LP ; but the electronically processed sax (?) is anemic and emasculated there + the buzz in ANCIANT is clearly modulated by the playing of the instrument (vs would be constant if carelessly splice added ) : I think the 24/96 is true there.
    Not sure about the intentionality regarding Heroes but I kind of like the way the fading forces me to switch my attention to the instruments and wizardry behind. And it would make sense in the context of that album where my favorite track is Moss Garden.

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It's still available on Amazon UK. In fact, they've increased the price. :D

12. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Amazon themselves aren’t selling it. It’s all third party sellers

Vaughan likes this.
  13. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Ah, thanks!

14. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

It's a welcome miracle and weird they got the other 45 edits and Oddity 1979 right, yet seemingly nobody checked the set's actual audio.

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Okay. Just talked with Amazon. You're correct - Amazon UK says they are "out of stock", which one must assume is a euphemism for "it's pulled".

The only option offered me was a return of product and a refund.

Here's hoping, if and when a new product ship, it's easily identifiable. There's going to be a lot of faulty sets knocking around the secondhand market....

16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I noticed that on headphones, it's less pronounced. Over speakers it's unmissable.

17. sammy davis junior

sammy davis junior Forum Resident

I was also thinking it would be good to leave comments all over online reviews from uncut & mojo etc... asking why they missed the errors. At the very least it could make them feel slightly guilty for 2 minutes for not actually bothering to listen to the set.

I think with amazon uk pulling it, the people who can do something about it know about it by now. To a certain degree it depends on what amazon do now, if they leave it pulled it will get fixed, if they don't it will be interesting to see what they do about people complaining still. They won't want to keep giving out 20 or 30 percent refunds to everyone that sends them a message.
    When it comes to it, they are only ever going to deal with heroes, though - there isn't a hope in hell they will re-remaster the whole set again. Or maybe they can call it a demaster and just press the rca masters to vinyl and cd. How were they able to use the rca for the station to station box set - did they have to license it?

18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Before we sing any praises to Amazon UK, note that in my last post I had spoken to them. They didn't offer a discount, only a return and full refund. Personally I'd much rather keep the set, and get replacement discs, rather than return the entire thing.

19. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

Wo actually did the remastering on this one?

art likes this.
  20. PeterVanDoffs

PeterVanDoffs Active Member

Oh! You pretty things

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Se Görmän Amazon sait häs also pulled sis box änd häs listed it wis ä Oktober 6 däte.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Aren't they all done by Visconti? We don't know yet how the Heroes error happened though, it's likely somewhere in the hand off to manufacturing (wrong master handed over). As for complaints about the likes of Low - I personally don't think there's anything wrong with it.

23. sammy davis junior

sammy davis junior Forum Resident

i wasn't praising them, i was saying they are the key to whether or not something will get done. them offering only a refund now shows they aren't prepared to keep giving discounts, as i said - now it's whether or not they are going to put it back up online and refuse anything other than a return. hopefully they won't put it back online until they get some information about fixing the problem from the record label.

also, i think holding onto the set is the best option - like you say - as apparently someone on amazon told a buyer that there is 1 year warranty on it, so if the record company redoes the whole set you can return it later down the line, and if they only replace 1 disc then you just get sent that one disc. although, returning it does give more weight to people's complaints.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

One would hope someone involved with the product would soon make a statement. It's too big to ignore at this point, imo. In this environmentally conscious age I'm surprised they simply didn't offer waiting for replacement discs. We all know there will be a colossal mess in the future where the good and bad sets are difficult to differentiate. Why? Coz.

25. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

If you haven't returned much, you will likely be more successful...