David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Do you really think Bowie personally authorized every last US edit that's been included (or the hilariously truncated French 'Station to Station')? The criteria is very clear: stuff that was released on singles at the time (loosely defined as 'while Bowie was contracted to the label'). 'John I'm Only Dancing Again' was also delayed, but that doesn't mean it wasn't released as a single and shouldn't be included. An outtake slipping out on a b-side a few years after it was recorded is in no way the same thing as one unearthed for a reissue campaign on a completely different label a couple of decades after the fact. If they violated their own internal logic, sure, take them to task; if they violated yours, who cares?

MadamAdam and Scott Michaelsen like this.
  2. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Very unlikely IMO - Bowie/his estate doesnt own it, and it was never a Bowie project to begin with - he was hired to do it (he was the producer's third choice IIRC) and the only reason he did do it was as a Christmas gift for his son.

Also I have a feeling Little Drummer Boy will be excluded - that is if Bowie's wishes are respected. He hated the song Little Drummer Boy - the counterpoint ("Peace On Earth") was IIRC written for him to sing so he wouldnt have to sing "Drummer Boy" - plus IIRC its never seen a Bowie sanctioned re-release, post RCA putting it out against his wishes back in the day. (I've never personally seen it on any Bowie compilation track listing anyway). Also it was recorded specifically for the TV show, and not for record release, so one more reason to think it probably wont be included.

But now that he's dead and can't veto it - anything's possible I guess.

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

That's more of an acting job than any part of Bowie's catalogue of music.

4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

What do you think is newly recorded on All Saints, Some Are, Abdulmajid and I Prey Ole? Joe the Lion and Sound & Vision were bonus track remixes and Look Back in Anger is a Tin Machine era recording.

Carlos Alomar once made an off hand remark that some of the Berlin outtakes on the Ryko release were new to him or he didn't recall them.

Earlier this year Philip Auliac's soundcloud had an unheard Low outtake that got yanked a couple days later. Ambient and a bit of a non event but very cool to hear.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    sunspot42 likes this.
  5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I still think there's a chance Christiane F will be in there.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  6. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

It has.
    David Bowie - Illustrated db Discography > Compilations: CDs (1989-1999) »
    The Singles 1969 To 1993 (Featuring His Greatest Hits)
    (RYKO RCD 10218/19), December 1993 (US)

Space Oddity/Changes/Oh! You Pretty Things/Life On Mars/Ziggy Stardust/Starman/John I'm Only Dancing/Suffragette City/The Jean Genie/Sorrow/Drive-In Saturday/Diamond Dogs/Rebel Rebel/Young Americans/Fame/Golden Years/TVC 15/Be My Wife/Sound And Vision/Beauty And The Beast/"Heroes"/Boys Keep Swinging/DJ/Look Back In Anger/Ashes To Ashes/Fashion/Scary Monsters/Under Pressure/Cat People/Let's Dance/China Girl/Modern Love/Blue Jean/Loving The Alien/Dancing In The Street/Absolute Beginners/Day-In Day-Out/Never Let Me Down/Jump They Say.

The US edition of The Singles has the 7" versions of "Heroes"/DJ/Ashes To Ashes/Fashion/Let's Dance/China Girl/Modern Love/Absolute Beginners/Jump They Say and a unique edits of Space Oddity/TVC 15/Loving The Alien/Dancing In The Street/Day-In Day-Out. The first 40.000 pressings came with a bonus CD-single containing 'Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy' (duet with Bing Crosby).

Christian Hernandez likes this.
  7. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

...and add to that- even chronologically SM (1980) is much closer to what came before Lodger (1979) than what came after Lets Dance (1983)

Also there was quite a bit of non album songs released in between and if SM is on the same box as Let's Dance then ALL of those stray tracks MUST appear on that box, but if SM goes on the Berlin era box then they can split the 1981/82 stray tracks however they want - for example put 81 stuff on the Berlin Box and 82 stuff on the 80's box (for example)

8. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Why would it? Isn't there like zero exclusive material on it?

scobb and MadamAdam like this.
  9. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Simply because of how it's been reissued on CD as part of the core catalogue. I could be wrong, of course, but it wouldn't surprise me

andrewskyDE likes this.
  10. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

As clear as mud.
    What about the All The Madmen promo? How is it that they released Nassau? The Gouster tracks included mixes that were only previously released on Absolutely Rare. They spent a lot of effort artificially recreating single edits for who's benefit?
    Wouldn't you rather they ditched this rather pointless and incoherent policy and just released Alternative Candidate, Some Are and After Today?
    Who cares whose logic they violated? Just rerelease the Ryko tracks.
    What's the point?

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  11. SoundAdvice

https://www.discogs.com/Bowie-The-Singles-1969-To-1993-Featuring-His-Greatest-Hits/release/437665

Bowie approved this release in 1993.

12. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

Almost correct: Re;call 1 & 2 have only included tracks that were recorded during the timespan of the box and originally released by the record label that held the contract during the period the box covered.

Hence the Philips and Mercury edits, of 1969/70 tracks, and the inclusion of RCA period tracks first released after the box dates.

Velvet Goldmine was recorded in 1971 and released by the company (RCA in 1975) it was recorded for. It was the last of the four tracks mastered for the original Ziggy lineup, removed and then later released as a b side. The others, all on Re;call 1 were Round and Round, Amsterdam, and Holy Holy.

Certainly some press and publications reported that it was released without 'approval', but without being privy to the RCA contract, and given that it was already mastered and held by RCA, who knows if it was 'legal/contractual' or 'moral' approval/consent.

The only RYKO bonus tracks that have appeared on Re:call 1 or 2 are those tracks that appeared previously on 45s as released by the then current label.

13. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Hasn't Lodger already been remixed, and is ready to go?

There are two tracks according to Paul Buckmaster; an early version of Subteraneans and a ballad called Wheels. Unless Bowie signed off this box before he died, I'd be more hopeful of a release, but it is David Bowie, therefore expect the expected (as far as reissues are concerned).

14. Squealy

Aren't they instrumentals Bowie and Eno worked on together, rather than tracks with the band?

15. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

What about the previously unreleased new edit of Cygnet Committee and the new Digitally Enhanced Mix of the 1969 album?

16. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

What parts? Specifically? No idea. But I accept the widely held notion that at least some new work (late 80s) was done on at least some of them.
    Carlos's recollection isn't definitive proof on the matter of course, but it does offer some support to the notion.

On those other Ryko new remixes - Joe the Lion and Sound & Vision (which I'd forgotten about) as well as the bunch of Fame remixes tied to the Pretty Woman Soundtrack and the Ryko version of ChangesBowie, would also have no place on these "complete albums and contemporaneous singles" boxes either.

17. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

More likely to be a standalone release as was done for ChangesOneBowie?

(Then everyone can go wild about clear/coloured vinyl, etc)

18. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

80's Crud is the name of the box set scheduled for September 2018, let's not get ahead of our selves here. ;)

19. SoundAdvice

All Saints and I Prey Ole sound like Carlos. Carlos has also said he'd do hours of stuff and it would be until he bought the record until what parts he did would be heard or not.

I've wondered if Reeves Gabrels is playing on top a Lodger backing track for I Prey Ole. Bowie's lead vocal on that might be TM era as well. Gabrels is the guitarist on Look Back In Anger 1988.

20. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

How on earth do those examples relate to the programming logic of the Re:Call discs, which is what we were discussing?

I can't keep track of the location of your imaginary goalposts.

21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Hopefully this one will be a better value than the 1974-76 set. So much redundant, repeated stuff to drive the price up way past what it's worth for 3 studio albums.

Zach Johnson likes this.
  22. Astralweeks

Astralweeks Diamond Dog

I think Look Back in Anger would be a fantastic name, they probably won't use it because it's somewhat of a deep cut

23. Squealy

Ok, I haven't heard those for a while...
    Wiki says (based on credits) All Saints is all Bowie and Eno but who knows.

24. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Details of a lot of sessions & tracks that Alomar played can be found online, with some pretty surprising later ones and really early tracks too. Some on his website > scroll down
    Discography »

25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Good point!