David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

That's a great little story to read. Even as a seasoned Bowie fan, I use the boxes to reassess, which means I try to hear for the first time, in context. At this point, the boxes themselves are a "thing" or release, sort of like an extended "greatest hits" for whatever period it covers. It also allows you to ease yourself along the discography.

That said, if you're going in totally blind, you're in for perhaps some of the most jarring of moments for Bowie. I look forward to hearing your opinion of the albums once you get a chance to explore.

Markyp, Colinjpush and Curveboy like this.
  2. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Forum Resident

I sort of wish I had written out my thoughts and first impressions of the earlier box sets as I listened to each of them for the first time.

When the Five Years set came out, I’d only heard Changes, Space Oddity, and Nirvana’s cover of The Man Who Sold the World. Oh, and the snippet of Moonage Daydream that’s in Guardians of the Galaxy. But that’s all I’d heard before starting on that set.

With the later releases, there were even fewer songs I was familiar with. Looking back it would’ve been fun to post about my initial experiences with the songs and albums as I’d heard them for the first time over the last couple of years.

I can try to do that with Brilliant Adventures. I’ve purposefully avoided the later albums, waiting for new box sets.

3. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Please do! This is the first era of Bowie I remember "as it happened", so it would be interesting to hear from someone who's first impression is of taking it all in at once...

BruceWayne likes this.
  4. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

That's special, unless of course you were born after the mid 80's commercial Bowie albums, never watched MTV and since then you've only heard those tracks on some old school classic rock radio station ?

tBG likes this.
  5. BruceWayne

I think I first heard Space Oddity in a movie. I really don’t remember except that I knew of it already. I’d probably heard Changes on the radio. Same with the sprinkling of other Bowie tracks I’d heard (like “Heroes” and Let’s Dance…a couple others I didn’t mention because they aren’t on the Five Years box).

I grew up with 90s alternative rock and just wasn’t very familiar with Bowie. Parents had a **** ton of albums but none from him.

6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

If I may ask without having to go back through this thread. Huge fan and have the vinyl box set in my cart and ready to preorder. I will gladly pass on RSD BF this year to get this. Is this limited and does anyone know who mastered/cut the vinyl box? Thanks in advance...

7. BruceWayne

Time is my favorite Bowie song. Listening to it now. Just a masterpiece.

8. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

He really went far out with the lyrics on that one :angel:

Mikewest likes this.
  9. depe

depe Forum Resident

10. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

Japanese edition ordered. Can't wait for christmas.

fluxkit likes this.
  11. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

I was just looking at CDJapan and saw the Japanese edition of the cd box is now listed, but that they notify that the discs are not Japanese made, so no special blu-spec or anything, and there is no mention of anything unique to this box in the Japanese edition. They do charge 10 dollars more for the Japanese edition though, but it just sounds like it is the same as the regular edition, except it probably has an Obi strip on the box, I guess. Oh well. I was curious if they would have anything else.

12. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

The previous boxes all had two additional photo booklets. I'm sure this one will be no exception and details will be revealed soon.

croquetlawns and fluxkit like this.
  13. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

I will keep an eye out then to see if they announce more content. Thanks.

14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Qobuz pre-order does NOT have a 24-bit version of BA available. Everything Has Changed.

15. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

Looks like a great cash machine

16. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

There wasn’t a 24 bit version of Loving the Alien either. It was only when they started putting the albums out individually that they did 24 bit versions

CBackley, croquetlawns and TonyCzar like this.
  17. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Thanks. I was looking forward to "Outside" and "Buddha" in 24-bit. I can roll my own ReCall based on all the odd things I acquired in those years. Qobuz wants $90 for the 16-bit box, which I'd be getting tor BBC and ReCall, so $90 for basically a rip of 5 CDs (I don't want super-squished 16-bit "Outside", thank you.) didn't seem like a good proposition to me.

CBackley, OneLife and croquetlawns like this.
  18. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

That’s the same situation I’m in as well

CBackley likes this.
  19. Steve Carroll

Steve Carroll Forum Resident

BTWN is, IMO, lyrically appalling. The title song is excruciating heavy handed. It makes Tin Opener's 'Under The God' read like "Life on Mars'.

WeeSam, scenescof, Mikewest and 2 others like this.
  20. Steve Carroll

If you're going to rehash the London phone box as a Bowie gimmick, the classic K9 design from Heddon Street, at least do it properly. "Oh let's stick an American pay phone in there ... cool!". Nope, lame. You can pick up a K2 dial and receiver unit for a couple of hundred quid. I saw one at the weekend for 75 quid, complete with old London area code.

WeeSam likes this.
  21. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

Dead Man Walking also received a video upgrade!
    Not as impressive as the I am afraid of Americans 4K video but still nice to see!

22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I liked the straightforward nature of UtG: "You're dead. You just ain't buried yet."

23. Steve Carroll

I'll give you that is better than "Getting my facts from a Benetton ad' / Lookin' through African eyes / Lit by the glare of an L.A. fire". :)

WeeSam and healter skealter like this.
  24. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

With all these upgraded 90s vids coming out, it was a missed opportunity for the Bowie camp to throw together an official edit of the unreleased “Pretty Things Are Going To Hell” video, but I’m not gonna lose sleep over it. Hopefully someday when they rerelease all his videos into a new, upgraded blu ray set similar to the incredible Best of Bowie 2DVD set. It’s always intriguing to me to hear of unreleased music videos and the like. The edit on YouTube of the “Pretty Things...” vid in VHS quality leaves a lot to be desired but interesting concept nonetheless. He must’ve felt somewhat strongly about the video given he kept the puppets that were made specifically for it.

Bink and croquetlawns like this.
  25. Steve Carroll

... and one of the better songs on the tepid 'Hours'.