David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

The rumor was that it was planned for a b-side back in 2000/1. I assume it wasn't destined for the LP because it doesn't carry a Bowie songwriting credit. I agree that it's a ton of fun - definitely the wildest rearrangement for Toy.

2. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

I'm glad there's one version of "Liza Jane" on the "Toy" box but I can understand why it wouldn't have made the album - it's the only song not written by Bowie.

aphexj likes this.
  3. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

Still, it's Bowie’s 1st ever single (correct me if I'm wrong). Of course not under David Bowie.

...its composition remains unclear, but DB must have felt special about it since on top of including it in the Toy project, he played it live in 2004 (at least once)

bluedemon25 likes this.
  4. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

It's composition isn't unclear though, it was written by Leslie Conn.
    I'd imagine the whole point of "Toy" was a collection of the best of the early songs he had written. "Liza Jane" doesn't really fit the bill.

5. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

Only refering to what N. Pegg has to say about it.
    He mentions a more complex reality.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    Markyp and 22 ziggies like this.
  6. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I just got the BA Vinyl box on Saturday. Came untethered in a gigantic Amazon box but thankfully it was totally unscathed by the process. I have just finished playing all the discs and there are no issues on any of them. There was a skip on Strangers on the Buddha album but after a clean it was fine. Really enjoying it although I find the lack of gatefold sleeves quite annoying especially for Re:call and the BBC album. A huge amount of weight on such flimsy covers.
    I really miss not having any of the original versions of Telling Lies on the box, yet they have quite pointless edited versions of so much of hours... on Re:Call. Telling Lies was an historic release for Bowie, yet it is only in its' album form, yet other single mixes of tracks are on this. On the whole though, I am very happy with the box, this is the first of the boxes I bought on vinyl, I have them all on CD, but for this one I could justify the box as apart from Toy, I didn't have any of these albums on vinyl, I just had 12" singles from BTWN, Outside and Earthling. These now complete my Bowie Studio albums on vinyl collection

zither, heavysoul, chaz and 2 others like this.
  7. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I'm buying this soon. I've got "A New Career In A New Town".

GentleSenator likes this.
  8. smithwhite

smithwhite Forum Resident

I had one BA vinyl box turn up from Amazon without the original protection, in little more than a gigantic envelope, predictably with box torn. Immediately, I set that to be returned for a refund while also ordering another box with Prime for the next day. That one turned up with the whole polystyrene cage, no external imperfections at all BUT Re:call's four discs had unsurprisingly burst their flimsy sleeve. It was great to have two boxes around so I could swap out that bad one for the flawless one from the damaged box. Might even consider routinely ordering two boxes in future!

Markyp and Colocally like this.
  9. Innocent Smith

Innocent Smith Always crashing in the same car

I had a small discovery on PPL today. Looks like a Little Wonder remix release is planned sometime soon? Maybe it's related to the speculated 'Brilliant Remixed Adventures' set?

DAVID BOWIE Little Wonder [Danny Saber Mix, 2022 Remaster] USJT12100125 Parlophone Records Limited 1997 3:09sec
    DAVID BOWIE Little Wonder [Danny Saber Unplugged Mix] USJT12100126 Parlophone Records Limited 2022 3:03sec
    DAVID BOWIE Little Wonder [Danny Saber Dance Mix, 2022 Remaster] USJT12100127 Parlophone Records Limited 1997 5:34sec
    DAVID BOWIE Little Wonder [Danny Saber Dance Mix Instrumental] USJT12100130 Parlophone Records Limited 2022 5:36sec

10. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Well, it says:
    Released 27 January 1997

So all the brilliant SHTV mathematicians will know straight away:
    [​IMG]
    25th Anniversary !!!!!!!

Yoo-hoo ... I predict a limited edition 10" single on coloured vinyl (or maybe even a double 12" with one track per side, or preferably a box set with several 7" singles).

RockNRod likes this.
  11. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Never has a greasy spoon in north london received so much attention.

12. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I doubt that would be a thing. Has anyone heard any rumours other than on this forum?
    I did suggest it back here 2021's David Bowie box set 5 (Speculation Thread)*
    but a complete guess to be honest.

13. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Please god NOOOOOOOO...

I'm still working my way through my vinyl box. So far, apart from some minor non-fill type artefacts on BTWN (don't care enough about the album to return it), it's all been fine. But I'm getting quite excited now, because after one more BBC LP, I should be on to TOY later today, so I can scare daughter with the cover pic! I think I only listened twice at most to the version I downloaded back in the day, so this will be fairly new to me...and in the interim, I finally got around to familiarising myself with his pre-Deram stuff around 10 years ago, and I really like those songs :edthumbs:

Fabrice Outside likes this.
  14. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

15. Roxy6

Roxy6 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  16. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

With the official video for the I Dig Everything, BBC Radio Theatre being released (linked here), is it possible that we will be getting an official release of the entire show in a video format?

The ending of the video waits until quite a but after the track has finished, almost as if it is waiting for the next song to begin, which would seem to indicate that it has been edited into sections (like you would get on the track select option on a DVD).

I would love if this were the case as BBC Radio Theatre is one of my favourite live albums from later years (perhaps even beating Ouvrez Le Chien) and so to get a video release for it would be amazing.

17. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I would definitely welcome that. I doubt we will get a completely unedited version of the show given some of the vocal he experienced on the night, especially towards the end, but I would welcome a video version of the album that was released on the Brilliant Adventures set.

Markyp, pobbard and Azorbz like this.
  18. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

I agree. Whilst I would prefer the unedited version (with all the in-between conversation as I found that to be very interesting), any video release of the show would be amazing.

I find it interesting that they released three videos for the Something In The Air live album. I didn't think that this was odd until they released the Can't Help Thinking About Me performance from the show instead of something from BBC Radio Theatre in the run up to the release of BA. It isn't much evidence to go by, but I would be very happy if that indicated that we might be seeing a few live shows in video format. If I had to choose one though, it would be BBC Radio Theatre.

Markyp, pobbard and Bink like this.
  19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Oh I think they could include the conversation between songs as they did when they originally broadcast the show. But I think they would only include the performances that were included in the box. I wouldn't expect them to include where he had to abandon a song halfway through etc.

croquetlawns and Azorbz like this.
  20. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

I can't recall many people complaining about non-fill, but I played TOY yesterday, and there were several examples, most ruinously at the start of Shadow Man...so, after thinking I was prepared to accept several non-fills on BTWN (and one other album, I forget which), I plucked up courage to contact Amazon France to request a replacement.

Man, those French...my 1st chat comment was 'pourrons-nous parler en Anglais, svp?' Et la grenouille a repondu: 'Non'. Not 'sorry, no' - just 'No'. Typical, heads up their a's assuming everyone in the world speaks their curious little lingo! Fortunately, I managed to make myself understood, dragging myself back mentally 40+ years to my A-level French studies, which was the last time I spent much time speaking their 3rd World language. Zut alors!

Azorbz likes this.
  21. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Come on now. At one time French was in competition with English as the international language. It’s true, though, that the French have had a hard time accepting the change to not being the “lingua franca” anymore. We may be facing a similar problem in the future with the rise of China.

l-l-d likes this.
  22. mmart1

mmart1 Forum Resident

Finally getting around to this Bowie box (vinyl edition). I got two copies of Re:Call LP2 and zero copies of Re:Call LP1. Argggghhhh.

And of course, the Amazon return window is closed. Any advice?

23. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

It's just an audio ding.

24. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Order another and return the original against the newer order?

25. mmart1

mmart1 Forum Resident

I feel like an idiot for not thinking of this myself. Thanks!

Markyp likes this.