David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

That clears things up. Could you talk a little bit more about this loophole you refer to?

2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I don't know all the details but it seems they took a Japan-only licensing agreement with a defunct label now absorbed by Sony Music, and took it as carte blanche for worldwide reissues...

Demiurge88, croquetlawns and Azorbz like this.
  3. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

Via Paleblinds at illustrated db:

"When Victory wound up in 94 (just distributed by London and Polygram) the ownership of the masters and right to reissue Tin Machine II and Oy Vey would have been an asset.
    Bowie does not seem to have purchased them back (unless he did it to bury them).
    If members of the Band don't own them then whoever does has the right to reissue.

In 2006 there was the Japanese CD Reissue by Victor Entertainment Inc. This is a subsidary of JVC as was Victory so it would seem the JVC group retained their options."

Illustrated db Discography Forum • View topic - Tin Machine II MOV Reissue

4. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

yup only 5 tracks on that dvd. I have the dual disc version as well for the surround mix.

5. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

After earlier praising the appearance of the HD pic disc, with the alternative image on b side and the smashing poster, finally got round to actually hearing it - made the mistake of playing the damn thing. Terrible, even for the standard picture disc quality. Loads of big jumps, clicks and that flutter and wow sound, of course. Why do they bother?

Now there's a handsome looking ZS version knocking around for an inflated price (I waited til HD fell to reasonable prices) and we are supposed to want to purchase it, to just look at it? I really don't get the marketing principles of supplying something can only be for visual purposes at such a cost...

6. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

I should preface what I am going to say with the fact that, other than the 40th anniversary singles, I only have the Space Oddity and Hunky Dory picture discs (I will get Pin Ups and The Man Who Sold The World, and I already have ordered Ziggy).

I found that my Hunky Dory disc plays surprisingly well for a picture disc, whereas there is a fair bit of noise on my Space Oddity disc. It is possible that I was just lucky with Hunky Dory, but I feel like some risk is inherent when purchasing a picture disc, because of their methods of production. Picture discs, obviously, aren't as simple as changing the material you're using to press it with to change the appearance so it is probably a lot harder to have consistency over the batch. Obviously, this doesn't excuse poor production of these discs, and I'm sure there are things they could have done to make them more consistent, but I do feel like picture discs shouldn't be your main method of listening to a record.

markreed likes this.
  7. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

The individual cd’s are usually released around February following the previous fall release of the box sets. Has there been any updates on when the albums will get a standalone release?

Curious if they will fix that glitch during the track “Outside” for the standard release? Unfortunately, that track doesn’t have the clout of a “Heroes”, so a replacement was never issued.

8. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

There have not been any updates, to my knowledge, but it is understandable why it was not a February release. The box came later in the year than the previous ones had, although LTA only had four months between the box and the individual releases, which does not explain why they are not out yet. I would imagine that there are some complications with regard to pressing them (the same reason I suspect BLA has not been reissued, despite the promise to). They are probably focusing on smaller releases (RSD, Ziggy discs) until they can resolve these issues.

croquetlawns and ShockOfDaylight like this.
  9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

TonyCzar likes this.
  11. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I could make short work of a "Hunky Dory" birthday cake.

croquetlawns likes this.
  12. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

TY.

The DJ playing it said it was from "Outside", so I guess the next question is whether she was possibly playing the box set "Outside" and if "Oxford" is identical to the old album.

13. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Azorbz, TonyCzar and croquetlawns like this.
  14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

TY. Not much of an improvement, IMHO, and certainly not radio-friendly, I think. One new vocal tic, but that beautiful bassline is just about buried.

(New ETA on the CD: Today!)

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

[EDIT] But there are neat new bass tricks. Nice.

16. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

The BA EP is certainly more interesting to the ear than the Toy EP in my opinion - the versions of plot of land and my death are lovely. Wonder if we will hear more from that show.

scenescof, croquetlawns and Azorbz like this.
  17. Transience

Transience Forum Resident

I think the 2 tracks are the full performance, during the spoken intro to A Small Plot Of Land Bowie states that he is going to do 2 songs.

18. Daniel Plainview

Yeah, that particular side of music may be my favorite thing of all posthumous Bowie releases thus far.

Cat People and scenescof like this.
  19. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I just find Garson a little overpowering.

Cat People, scenescof and Markyp like this.
  20. Justin Case

Justin Case Forum Resident

According to Setlist, he also played Outside.

paulybauls and gamuzajoe like this.
  21. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

That's one aspect of his style imo, very different compared to Wakeman

Doesn't always work, still Aladdin Sane might be my favorite album

22. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Yes, dare I say it a little ‘heavy-handed’ on this.

23. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

On Aladdin Sane it is perfect, sometimes however he needs to let the singer be the star.
    Last week I called him the Mariah Carey of pianists.

24. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Why play one note when 1,417 will do?

25. Daniel Plainview

I like it.

Azorbz likes this.