David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Totally agree - they are releasing a 3 CD box, so just give us everything Toy related! Omitting two tracks that are known to exist is crazy.

Rob Byrne, Roxy6, Azorbz and 5 others like this.
  2. Haecate

Haecate Forum Resident

Liza Jane is on the second CD of the Toy Box.

Curveboy and aphexj like this.
  3. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

"Liza Jane" was earmarked as a b-side, at least at one point, which may be why it's not on Toy "proper".

David Bowie - Illustrated db Discography > Toy

Then again, according to this same source, so was "The London Boys", so... :shrug:

Azorbz, johnnyyen and aphexj like this.
  4. falldog

falldog Calmer Man

While you're waiting for the delivery, you won't regret spending an hour with the Musikladen show:

It's obviously not 5.1 and is a TV show, but this is a decent quality version of it and it's a fine performance.

5. GungaLagunga

GungaLagunga c̶r̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ lunch time

Thanks folks (fluxkit, weeSam, and falldog). Cheers!

fluxkit likes this.
  6. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

Bowie’s Live Aid performance is also well worth seeking out. The BBC had a cameraman following him around the stage so you’re up there with him as he performs to a packed Wembley stadium.

7. croquetlawns

Totally - I'm referring to the missing Afraid and Uncle Floyd, not to mention the streaming only alternate Silly Boy Blue. With three discs, everything should really be included.

Roxy6, WeeSam and Bowie1979 like this.
  8. paulybauls

paulybauls Forum Resident

Depends who sings it I suppose

9. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

But what do we know about the original track listing that was " ready to go " and then shelved ?

aphexj likes this.
  10. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

Unless those 2 tracks were put aside for yet another release ?

I mean Heathen back then

11. croquetlawns

I think the majority of fans would like to have the Toy-era versions officially released with, say, Toy!

Max Florian, Roxy6, johnnyyen and 4 others like this.
  12. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

I've yet to hear a rock n roll version of the song.

13. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Not understanding the dislike for KM & SBB. I mean, they are what they are - mediocre 60s compositions. The original KM wasn't much cop; what would we prefer, a slavish recreation of its mehness? And SBB sounds fine to me.

There's far worse stuff than this on the Brown Trilogy.

14. WeeSam

WeeSam Forum Resident

well there's a false dichotomy if ever I have seen one.

15. Oogie

Oogie Forum Resident

Not just liza Jane, in the heat of the morning is also missing from the toy album proper.
    Those 2, plus floyd & afraid. But we get extra with karma man & can't help thinking about me.
    Quite clearly the running order is new & decided by plati as he talks about I dig everything and your turn to drive bookending the album as the toy title track came out of a jam of track one.
    So it's not the proposed original running order.
    We don't know if toy had been released whether uncle floyd and afraid would have made the final cut for sure. My guess is no I think very early on those tracks had been earmarked for heathen. The leak was a very early draft of toy and were probably dropped by its completion.
    Mark plati's comments about them being from a different headspace kind of points towards that.
    But we may never know for certain.

16. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I have to admit I’m not sorry about the exclusion of “uncle Floyd.” The long spoken word introduction always put me off. I love “can’t help thinking about me,” so I’m glad it will be included. He did a great live version of it.

17. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I feel the same - I usually skip Uncle Floyd and Afraid when I play the leaked version.

I did think the spoken part in Uncle Floyd worked well on the Reality Tour dvd version of Slip Away.

Roxy6, aphexj, pobbard and 1 other person like this.
  18. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

We don’t really, just the tracks on the leaked version. It’s this version I have listened to over the years, but to my knowledge, there has never been a final track list, nor a proper master. It does come as a surprise that Uncle Floyd and Afraid have gone. Maybe Plati is correct, that they were recorded during the sessions, but never earmarked for Toy, it just seems odd those two tracks appeared on the leak. And as I said before, Uncle Floyd makes such a brilliant opening track, it’s a shame it has been omitted. I’m not too fussed about Afraid; I think the best version is on Heathen, and I’d expect these two tracks to appear on the next box, as part of Heathen bonus tracks.

Roxy6, croquetlawns, Azorbz and 3 others like this.
  19. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

It is a shame they couldn't have at least been on one of the bonus discs in the Toy:Box, but the Bowie releases never make things simple. I hope they at least make it out eventually, there is always the 30th anniversary of Toy in 2031....

20. Innocent Smith

Innocent Smith Always crashing in the same car

Due to their status with Heathen, I'm wondering if there are rights issues with Uncle Floyd and Afraid? Since Sony still has Heathen? Then again, they managed to include the Toy tracks that were released as b-sides so who knows?

21. Colocally

Nope, Warners has the worldwide rights to everything from Space Oddity to Blackstar now.
    David Bowie Estate and Warner Music Announce Landmark, Career-Spanning Partnership

Azorbz and croquetlawns like this.
  22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

23. Colocally

They would have known though. Besides, the box set is not out til January, some of the Toy songs were already released by Sony in forms that are going to be in the box, so none of this would stop Uncle Floyd nor Afraid from being included except for some cockamamie reason on par with the stupid "20 year rule" as to why the box was delayed.

croquetlawns likes this.
  24. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

There's a certain charm to the originals. The remakes are garbage. Toy would have been a crushing disappointment had it been released after the dull hours.

footstomper and Steve Carroll like this.
  25. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

This thread's coming up to 100 pages shortly...(taps fingers and hums) :doh: