David Bowie - Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) [Box set #5]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Sep 17, 2021.

1. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

Great point. Toy is all you really hear about, when it's quite frankly the least "musically interesting" part about this entire release. Hopefully once everyone has heard it (whether they actually enjoy it or not), we can move on to the re-appraisal of Buddha, Outside, Earthling and the rest.

2. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

That’s why Toy shouldn’t have been part of this box. They overextended the range by including it anyway.

3. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Tbh the mud of credits for toy has already bored me to distraction. And don’t get me started on the what was meant to go where stuff. I’d like some facts. Separately, it’s new(ish) db. How cool is that. X.

Fabrice Outside likes this.
  4. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Didn’t even realise this until someone pointed it out , Uncle Floyd and Afraid are missing , why ?

croquetlawns likes this.
  5. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Either because:

1. DB never intended them for Toy, despite what the 2011 leak may have led us to believe (that 2011 leak didn't include "Karma Man" or "Can't Help Thinking About Me", so it's unclear if it was an alternate mix of the LP or just a collection of tracks from the sessions), or

2. DB did intend them for Toy, but since both tracks were re-recorded and/or reworked for Heathen, those are the now considered the "definitive" versions, and in general, the DB camp has never been keen on releasing early/working versions of songs (admittedly with a few exceptions, like The Gouster and some of the Conversation Piece material, so hopefully this list will grow in the future).

6. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

?

Markyp and Azorbz like this.
  7. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Erdal, is that you?

8. OneLife

OneLife There’s Bowie, & then everybody else

Sorry probably shouldn’t have added that just my little in joke. There’s a lot who thought Erdal Kizilcay should get a bit of credit for the writing. I’m sure Bowie used him a lot (like he did everyone!) but yes it’s certainly a Bowie album and one I like a lot.

Bandersson and croquetlawns like this.
  9. Harry Baleson

Harry Baleson Forum Resident

Cancelled and walking away.

The price.

10. Nihilmatters

Nihilmatters Well-Known Member

Preordered and waiting.

The music.

11. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

DB official are moving on to ....hours. Some info regarding the writing and mixing process

Dbstay, Cat People, Starmix and 2 others like this.
  12. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

I wonder if Alex Grant is still a fan.

scenescof likes this.
  13. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Of publishing royalties? Certainly

Dbstay, mythnormadman and scenescof like this.
  14. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I'm definitely getting it. I find most of the complaints bizarre. These titles are getting re-released as stand alone. The only gouging is a BBC show and RECall, which is pretty normal for any box set. They are even releasing Toy separately.

I understand that some of us will basically be buying Toy twice.

I'm going CD box. Misc standalones on LP next year. The only vinyl I would be missing is BBC and Recall, which isn't a deal breaker to me at all.

15. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Exactly my position. Am getting the box, the book the cd remasters, the cd new box bait for under a 100 squids, so it seems the logical way to collect the new items. Will also pick up the buddha and black tie vinyl when they break out. Done!

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What about Rock Opera- Ernie?

17. alexpop

Stand alone Toy LP... suitable Album sleeve.. I’ll buy( not good art design.. pass):

ShockOfDaylight likes this.
  18. Jepsom

Jepsom Forum Resident

In my humble opinion the outrageously out of the ordinary Toy cover is what Bowie was all about...shocking, different, genius and outrageous.
    The bootleg Toy sleeve is a good picture of a very charismatic performer, a little similar to the Heathen look. So why have something safe
    when you can have a terrific conversation piece. Besides with this official Toy cover, we all technically now have a Bowie album cover shot
    from the 1940`s. Way to go, Mr. B.!!!!!

jacden, aphexj, Oogie and 9 others like this.
  19. Jmetamatic

Jmetamatic This is the end of our oxygen supply.

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

:laugh:

21. Jepsom

Jepsom Forum Resident

It also brings full circle the baby arm of Lexi from the Mother single.
    A sort of baby of generations...very poignant.

22. Rob Byrne

Rob Byrne British, music lover

With regard to the absence of Afraid and Uncle Floyd from the upcoming Toy release, Bowie & Plati performed a semi-acoustic version of the former song on BowieNet in 2000, with Bowie introducing it as the forthcoming first single from Toy, due to be released “next year”. Here’s a very poor quality YT video of this. I have seen a better copy somewhere and if I can find it I’ll post it.

23. Rob Byrne

Rob Byrne British, music lover

Here we go - this is the better quality version in which it’s much clearer that Bowie says Afraid will be the first single from Toy. And he says it with Mark Plati sat next to him.
    https://youtu.be/_Uaxb9lyew0

24. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

Which would indicate it was felt too strong to just let go and was instead earmarked for the next actual release.

scenescof, croquetlawns and aphexj like this.
  25. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

If it had been released at the time, Toy would now be seen as an act of deliberate self-sabotage, and - almost - as bad as Tonight. Telescoping the box to include 2001, instead of clearly ending in 1999 at the end of the decade/century/millennia/time etc really hurts the concept of this as "Bowies wEIrd ARt YEars" and they could have - for boxset bait - included an Omnikron / Leon / Hours : Reeves Remix and kept Toy for the 2000-2005 box.