David Bowie - Brilliant LIVE Adventures (1995-1999)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Oct 1, 2020.

1. So are these all individual CD’s, À la cart, no complete box set with all. I guess I’m a little confused?

2. That was the phrase that convinced me they will be individual releases.Hopefully limited means like era box sets limited rather than like RSD limited.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  3. Whatever it is, I’m in for all five. I wound up buying both RSD CD’s online (from a seller in Italy) with very little effort at a decent price. Hopefully these will be a little more plentiful though and easy to buy in the US.

Maurice and croquetlawns like this.
  4. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

Perhaps this is a well chewed over topic in Bowie forums on SFH, but I've always wondered why the 50th birthday concert has never been released. The boot is superb. I know that it would require a lot of other artists to sign off, but I would have thought it might be something folks would be proud to be part of.

Halloween_Jack and croquetlawns like this.
  5. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

It is released on record store day: ChangesNowBowie. Only they omitted the interviews.

6. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

You answered your own question: performing rights. I would imagine that with Lou Reed dead, his estate would be one of the sticking points.

7. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

ChangesNowBowie isn't the MSG 50th Birthday concert - the latter had lots of guests joining Bowie like Lou Reed and Frank Black.

8. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

The OP meant the concert with all the guests like Lou Reed and Billy Corgan etc. Not the intimate radio set. The Big Show would surely be a strong seller and I can’t imagine why any of the guests would cause any rights issues. It’s a cracking gig from all concerned.

9. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

OK thanks, didn't know that one.

screechmartin and croquetlawns like this.
  10. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

This looks like an interesting set if releases. I am definitely looking forward to seeing which shows they will include - I hope it includes one of the 1997 shows with the full Tao Jones Index set (eg the Hannover Grand show).

As a fan of concert films, I would like a blu ray / dvd component to this.

11. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

We need a full release of one of the late 1997 gigs. Lots of interesting songs resurrected for this tour. A long keyboard heavy My Death, Always Crashing In The Same Car, that storming version of O Superman, opening with Quicksand, great concerts.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

Well, I'm a big Bowie fan. And also a big fan of the Outside album. But I'm only a very occasional listener/buyer of live albums. I think I only bought Welcome To The Blackout from Bowie's live albums. Mostly because it is my favourite musical period of him.

But now a live album of the Outside era seems interesting. How was that tour received in general?

Also not a fan of Earthling and Hours. But I see Liveandwell.com has a lot of tracks from Outside on it. Is this generally considered a good live album? Streaming it on Youtube now.

13. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

This actually could be my David Bowie dream becoming true...
    I finally could own one or even two live albums from the Outside Tour and maybe even a live recording of O Superman...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  14. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more on both counts!

Django216 likes this.
  15. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

O Superman is long overdue for release. DB and Iman were good friends with Laurie and Lou.
    GAD turns in a cracking vocal on this track (as she always does), and despite being spiffed up with a stomping rhythm track, (and accepting that Laurie Anderson's version is always going to be unbeatable) it still retains the mystery and eeriness of Laurie's original. Love this one.

16. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

These aren't anything new; they were put on sale the same time these 3 albums were released online via streaming.

17. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Laurie had no problem replacing Mickey Rourke on that fabricated remix. They we're personal friends.

Tim Bucknall and scenescof like this.
  18. stepeanut

I am aware of all that. I am hardly a newbie, as you know. Things can get weird where rights and money are concerned, especially when the principals are no longer around to sort things out themselves. It has long been stated that performance rights are a sticking point in the release of this particular show. If Reed’s estate is not a factor then one or more of the other guests that night could be.

Given my experiences that day, no one is more hopeful of an eventual release for this show than me. If they’ve finally sorted it out, brilliant. We shall see.

19. croquetlawns

Reminds me of Jimmy Page not liking his pants and vetoing his track from the Ziggy Stardust concert film and album!

Putrifiers II likes this.
  20. gamuzajoe

gamuzajoe Forum Resident

Worst thing is even with 6 CDs we won’t be seeing a full NIN/DB live recording.

21. stepeanut

Jeff Beck.

DTK and AlienRendel like this.
  22. croquetlawns

Oops, wrong guitar god! Still an annoying decision :p

Putrifiers II and stepeanut like this.
  23. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Since they're six probably separate releases I sincerely hope the Estate/Parlo will put some effort into the artwork and packaging this time, especially for cd buyers. The RSD cd versions were real cheapos and Bowie should be better than that. So no unprotected discs in cheapo digisleeves please, some liner notes, all perfectly readable. And photography sourced from professional photographers, not Blammo, not Iman, not fans.
    Judging by the quality of the promo video this may already be too late. A fan like Nacho would have made that look five times better, let alone a pro.

If these albums are done with quality in mind they can be a series of true gems in every Bowie fan's collection. It'll be a Reeves fan's wet dream :agree:

Fingers crossed for TAO Jones

24. zgredzik

zgredzik Well-Known Member

Recently Bowie estate released (on Spotify): Something in the Air (1999), Ouvrez Le Chien (Dallas 1995), Liveandwell.com.. Those 3 will be released physically for sure, by the first time. But what else?

25. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

I guess another three albums from the same three tours? Or were there some special shows/performances in between too?