David Bowie CONVERSATION PIECE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

I bought a stones box once and although a track was listed it didn't appear on the set

2. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

3. nick jones

so , there's a possibility of a more polished demo recorded in later sessions and unreleased, like a demo called We Should be on by Now (Time early lyrics)

4. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I feel that way too. I wish the post-75 stuff got the same amount of love.

But the good thing is that the copyright extension law will apply to the later albums as well since what I really want is unreleased material from Station To Station, the Berlin trilogy and so on. Glam Bowie is great but it's not "my" Bowie.

5. nick jones

maybe in the next 7'' box

6. 100%. Labels want to secure copyright primarily for future possible streaming revenue.

RockNRod likes this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I wonder though. If you think in terms of copyright, then we're only talking the demo material, and honestly, as much as I love Bowie, I can't see that having a huge commercial value. Also, wouldn't simply putting it on a streaming site also qualify?

I'm not saying it's not about copyright, but I think it's fair to say they're going the extra mile in making it worthwhile for fans.

Dieu likes this.
  8. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I need to go through my set properly and I will keep the older 2cd deluxe of David Bowie (Space Oddity) but does this set hoover up all the already released outtakes?

Also in case someone from the Bowie camp is viewing this thread. The first Bowie album I bought on vinyl was Ziggy back in 1972 along with the singles issued from Starman on wards. The David Bowie album known as Space Oddity and Man Who Sold the World I bought on RCA records late in 1972 with of course the different Ziggy and kick covers. How about putting the albums out again in those covers? In fact for Man Who Sold The World do the original German and USA covers as well.

CBackley likes this.
  9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

On the Home Demos disc, be very careful setting volume levels. Of course these sound rough - but man, the first track "April's Tooth of Gold" is probably DR 4. Just a tip. It settles somewhat after that.

Aaa3 likes this.
  10. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

As a skeptic when this set was announced (someone who pre-ordered and then canceled and then ordered again)...

I am pleasantly surprised. While not inexpensive, neither is the set a cash grab. There is much that’s new to me, and the packaging is first-rate.

11. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Man this Hole In The Ground reminds me of something. Can anyone help?

12. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

While we’re on the subject, I noticed that the remixed album proper has the song “Space Oddity” listed as “single edit,” yet it has a running time of 5:20 and is in stereo. The original single was in mono and was shorter. What’s going on here, and why wasn’t the album version of the song used? Or was it, and this is just a mistake in the text? The playing time is very close to the album versions’ 5:16 - basically looks like a match.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    TonyCzar likes this.
  13. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

Well, Bowie re-recorded it for 'Toy' and it's on the leaked version of that, so maybe that's where you've heard it,?

Chris Bernhardt and Colocally like this.
  14. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Like many here, I went into this set with a bit of, oh no Space Oddity again disappointment, but I have to say after listening to the remix on Tidal, I am really impressed and will probably purchase this set. This is one of Visconti's best remixes to date and in my opinion what a remix should be. He manages in many places to lift this album out of its hippy-trippy time (no not on every song), and give it more edge, depth and detail. I really like his panning, eq and reverb choices. Very Nice!

Tojo, pablo fanques, akmonday and 4 others like this.
  15. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

what does DR 4 mean? Is it not very clear?

16. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Now that the releases appear to be taking copyright extension into consideration, I wonder if they will release boxsets of live recordings in the style of Bob Dylan's 1966 boxset for example.

17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes. The remix has grown on me by today. Im enjoying it.

pablo fanques and TeddyB like this.
  18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

To my ears, they've done something wrong with it. The rest of the disc isn't like it, but that one track sounds compressed to hell. It's only that one track, and the source wouldn't have been great, but with this track I think they could have done better.

Aaa3 likes this.
  19. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

John Lennons 'Bring On the Lucie' which came out a few yrs later?

20. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

very good

pablo fanques likes this.
  21. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I pre-ordered two copies; one from Amazon and another from What Records who stated something along the lines of, although they couldn't guarantee it, they were confident that early pre-orders from them would more likely be coloured vinyl...

Both copies have arrived. The silver one was actually from Amazon. The one from What Records was... black!

I guess someone more unscrupulous might send the black vinyl copy back to Amazon for a no quibble refund. But I'm not that guy.

And anyway, how could I reasonably justify returning the black vinyl copy to anywhere? It's not as if I didn't know the odds and it's not as if I've received something 'defective'. Nope, I'll probably just sell it on (at a loss) on Discogs...

Arndur and Markyp like this.
  22. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I really looking forward to hear the remixed album with the lovely Conversation Piece inserted so I ordered a copy of the single CD today. Have the 2 CD set from 2009 and the older Ryko disc.

mr.datsun, pablo fanques and Curveboy like this.
  23. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

The single released as part of Spying Through A Keyhole was pretty ropey for that song anyway.

24. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Bet that Austrian grocer never thought he’d get this much attention ;)

25. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

I feel that they should have tweaked the speed of the demos. The version of ‘When I’m Five’ is obviously too slow. Bowie sounds like Arthur Mullard! ;). I also think that the Mercury demos are running fractionally fast. Bear in mind that I am listening to the streaming versions although I assume the CDs are the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.