David Bowie DIVINE SYMMETRY (The Journey to HUNKY DORY)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Curious. Can customers call Amazon and request improved packaging?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Don't understand the question.

I called Amazon - not sure why you put "call" in quotes since I did make a phone call - and wanted to know why my preordered copy would arrive 3 weeks after street date whereas someone who ordered the album that very moment would get it on street date.

Amazon claims to send in order of order date, so earlier order goes before subsequent order. That clearly wasn't the case here.

Also, I pay for Amazon Prime, which should mean expedited delivery.

I didn't request "improved" anything.

I called to ask why I wouldn't get what Amazon promised.

3. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

I guess my post didn’t translate well. I once called Amazon about a severely damaged item being shipped in an envelope instead of a box but was told the packers themselves make the decision. Customers cannot make a request, which is unfortunate. I, and many others, would have paid extra for more secure packaging. Millions of dollars lost daily at Amazon? I hear about damaged items often.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My call to Amazon had zero to do with the quality of how they'd pack the item. I'm not worried about that - I've had like 1 or 2 items damaged over the years.

So the topic you address wasn't on my radar. I made no attempt to get Amazon to ensure snug, secure packaging - I just want the stupid set NOW! :D

sunspot42 likes this.
  5. dumaisaudio

dumaisaudio Forum Resident

I ordered on 9/30 and got the $69 price. My order says arriving Wed Dec 14. When I go to the product page, it's listed for $103 and says one day shipping arriving tomorrow. WTF is going on? I'm tempted to place another order, and then just return it once they ship the discounted box set so I can get it now for the lower price I paid.

EDIT - Strangely enough, my order does show it has shipped.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  6. DGC

DGC Well-Known Member

That's strange - Amazon Canada's pre-order policy is that you will be charged the lowest price listed for the item up to midnight on the release date, and if you are initially charged a higher price because it shipped before a price drop on the release date, you'll get a refund for the difference:

The Pre-order Price Guarantee - Amazon Customer Service

Surprised to hear that the policy is different in other countries.

7. DGC

DGC Well-Known Member

I started listening on Spotify this morning, and noticed not just this but two other tracks where the title doesn't match the song:

- "Looking For A Friend (demo)" plays "Quicksand (San Francisco hotel recording)"
    - "Waiting For The Man (San Francisco hotel recording)" plays "Looking For A Friend (demo)"
    - Quicksand (San Francisco hotel recording)" plays "Waiting For The Man (San Francisco hotel recording)"

Hopefully the physical release doesn't have the same issue!

moomoomoomoo, Azorbz and mcnof like this.
  8. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

It does

9. DGC

DGC Well-Known Member

Well, that's disappointing, especially for a release like this that you'd assume would go through a couple of rounds of QC before going into production.

Ah well - I rip all of my CDs into my Plex library and do most of my listening from there, so I can correct it. But still a pretty annoying blunder.

sunspot42 likes this.
  10. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Fortunately it's only 3 songs and it's fairly easy to correct that metadata. I use Plex too and love how versatile it is.

DGC likes this.
  11. AndyP19

AndyP19 Forum Resident

Going to wait until this comes down in price.

HOWEVER Juno Download UK are doing the 16 bit FLAC or WAV for (you won’t believe this) £16.99 for the 72 tracks.

TonyCzar, AlbionBoy, swedgin and 2 others like this.
  12. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up on this - that’s a steal! Can’t really afford the physical set at present, so appreciate your post! :D

TonyCzar, AlbionBoy and AndyP19 like this.
  13. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Well, after streaming Divine Symmetry it definitely is more of a “for historical purposes” release. I actually cancelled my order (with the $70 price). I just don’t see myself coming back to it too often. Though, I did feel a bit conflicted. That said, I’m happy it’s out there, and the packaging with the book does look nice.

I enjoy the demos the most. Was a little disappointed in the Friars 71 show, though I’m sure they did the best they could with it. Overall it sounds pretty good, minus some of the splicing, but when the band really gets grooving it just sounds too “boomy”.

I was initially on the fence with Width of a Circle, and that one really grew on me, and I listen to it often…it’s possible the same may happen with this set and I’ll revisit purchasing in the future if the price drops again, as it did later with Conversation Piece and Width of a Circle. However, as these album sets start covering the more popular records, the chance of them being available later on will probably be less so.

Also worth mentioning, for me Hunky Dory is an album I like but it’s not one of my favorites. I’m not sure I need multiple versions of Kooks and Song for Bob Dylan, etc. , nice enough songs as they are. My favorite tracks such as Quicksand and Andy Warhol, I already have alternative versions on other releases to turn to, along with the original album. A Ziggy or Aladdin set presented the same as Divine Symmetry, would be a collection I would enjoy diving into much more.

I’m sure this set will still be a lot of fun for those whom Hunky Dory is one of their favorites.

14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Thats good to hear . I wonder if you can just buy the demos?

15. AndyP19

AndyP19 Forum Resident

You can at £1.69 per track for Flac/Wav

TonyCzar and mr.datsun like this.
  16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Ok so it's cheaper to buy the whole thing. Thanks.

TonyCzar and AndyP19 like this.
  17. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’ve downloaded from them. I always check them first for Bowie releases after they sold the Loving the Alien boxset for £9

TonyCzar, Jonpd and AndyP19 like this.
  18. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Amazon has really gotten messed up in the last year.

19. moomoomoomoo

Question for us in the USA is Juno licensed to sell it yo us? I never figured out what country Juno could sell the Cactus box download to, but it is NOT the USA or Australia.

20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

You could try a VPN?

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  21. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

That's a huge disappointment. At least it is only for three tracks, I guess. For the price, I'd expect better though.

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  22. moomoomoomoo

If the blu-ray was available for download (so far I haven't found it; I would definitely cancel based on posts above & the really slow delivery. I ordered mine almost 2 months ago & it's scheduled for 12/24 delivery. That's ridiculous when they are shipping new orders today.

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I've listened to disk one and the half of disk four. I'd really recommend people hear this set before buying the physical version.

croquetlawns and innuendo141 like this.
  24. K52046

K52046 Forum Resident

I’ve just doubled checked my CD and it plays the correct songs in the correct order.

EDIT: It’s also correct on the Qobuz stream.

Azorbz, Fabrice Outside and DrJ like this.
  25. moomoomoomoo

I also called Amazon & got the same runaround you did. The rep had no explanation and said unless I wasnted to pay $30+ extra she couldn't do anything.

If it wasn't for Kindle (I have hundreds of Kindle books) & Prime video I would stop using them.

Since Bezos left. Amazon has turned into garbage.

TheLoveDrags and bluedemon25 like this.