David Bowie DIVINE SYMMETRY (The Journey to HUNKY DORY)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 27, 2022.

1. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I don't have a list I can post. They are there in my iTunes and logged with last.fm.

You need to read the whole thread but here's something: David Bowie bonus tracks on CD

croquetlawns likes this.
  2. libertine90

libertine90 Forum Resident

yeah I’ve been reading the whole thread and I’m a longtime Bowie fan myself. I was just curious to see how you might have those playlists assembled.

BruceWayne likes this.
  3. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Perhaps it was mentioned before but are there plans to make a cd version available instead of blue ray?

4. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Follow DB official for that

TonyCzar and Cat People like this.
  5. dumaisaudio

dumaisaudio Forum Resident

I think doing a "Berlin trilogy" box set would be a good fit. I agree, there can't be much left laying around for those records. The Ryko reissues probably used the best of what wasn't used. Station probably doesn't have anything laying around, as it's already a short album. Scary Monsters definitely has demos, so something could be done with that one.

bluedemon25 and croquetlawns like this.
  6. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

It was interesting (and sad) to read that due to the cost of tape, they often taped over earlier versions of songs during the recording of Hunky Dory. I guess we're lucky to have any alternate takes given that practice. One of the things that got me excited reading the book is the mention, several times, of some of the same songs that were tried out with the Spiders but not released. I hope some (all?) of those turn up on a ZS box in the future.

7. Gfreesh

Gfreesh Forum Resident

Agreed at wanting to hear any and all songs recorded with the Spiders lineup. Really wish all of these legacy artists of Bowie's stature would follow Neil's lead and offer everything for subscription streaming. Can you imaging if Bowie's stuff was offered like that? Live shows, videos, all recorded music? I'd pay good money! *drools*

I'm surprised how much I'm digging George Underwood singing Song for Bob Dylan in the BBC/Peel session. Plus, he's quoted saying that they recorded a studio version with him singing (!) and that there are also studio versions of Hole in the Ground and We Should Be On By Now (!!). Presumably with George singing those as well? Gah!! Give them to us!!

8. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Th remixes are all interesting, and have an idea behind them. I agree with Ken Scott that the Song For Bob Dylan mix is actually an improvement. It sounds like the Spiders now, very Ziggy, plus Wakeman joining in. More post-sixties. Gives it a different feel than the HD mix which sounds more like a Dylan impression, though the chorus does now sound more Blonde on Blonde in the new one.

TonyCzar, Azorbz and CBackley like this.
  9. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

It's easy if you try :agree:

Mr Jones has had very dedicated fans throughout his entire career so a lot of what you're mentioning has been available to those seeking it out for a long time, except for archive exclusives.

The Bowie organization needs to be commended for not aggressively trying to shut those places down, but my guess is it would've been David's personal wish for true fans to have some places to exchange views, find information and more.

After all he was one of the first major artists to fully embrace the internet and be a bit of a pioneer with Bowienet and his thoughts about the shifting of copyright importance.

Still, for some of the lesser quality material exclusive to the archive an online subscription service could be great for fans. If the Estate is clever they'll include numbered free month membership coupons with physical releases.

Unless of course if they've signed almost full power away to Nigel N.Q.C. Reeve and his buddies at Warner Music for big bucks.

sortvinyl, libertine90 and Gfreesh like this.
  10. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

I am looking forward to hearing a Spiders version of Looking For A Friend, as mentioned in the book, in particular.

Do you mean something like the Springsteen live albums? I'm not a huge fan of Springsteen, but I picked up a few of the live albums (mainly ones with my favourite Springsteen song, It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City). The amount of albums available is astonishing, and it would be great to see Bowie live albums in a similar quantity. My issue with the physical releases is that they feel very cheap, with the covers glued onto a cardboard sleeve. If we could get physical releases at the same quantity as Springsteen but at slightly better quality (perhaps in the BLA style sleeves) I would be very happy. Of course, the lack of LP releases in this style would be disappointing, but I would accept it for more releases.

Considering the direction Bowie releases seem to be taking, I can't see this happening. They seem to want to make everything limited in order to drive up sales.

11. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Thanks for the reality check. I thought for sure that I had offlined it at some point, and would have a reference, but no. I only put it in a short playlist which I streamed a lot.

12. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

I know this question is late, but I was looking back through the thread to find the answer and didn't see it. What San Francisco Hotel demos are missing from the set?

13. LesMcQueen

LesMcQueen Forum Resident

One is an unreleased song (or an unrecognisable one anyway) but I forget the name.

Azorbz likes this.
  14. mythnormadman

mythnormadman Someone has to smoke the sky

Remaining tracks
    Moonage Daydream (instrumental), Oh! You Pretty Things, Hole In The Ground, (acoustic guitar), So Long Sixties (parts) and So Long Sixties

15. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

That's a really interesting set of songs. I'd never heard of So Long Sixties before. I'm particularly interested in hearing Hole In The Ground. Is it likely that these will be in a future set?

16. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

A version of Hole In The Ground was on Conversation Piece.

My copy came today. Canada Border services charged me $21 including $10 handling fee. :(

croquetlawns likes this.
  17. Innocent Smith

Innocent Smith Always crashing in the same car

It’s possible the instrumental Moonage Daydream could show up in a Ziggy set and maybe So Long Sixties if it was actually just an early version of a song he later released. Other than that, I really doubt it.

18. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

I'd heard the Conversation Piece version of Hole In The Ground, but, considering that this was 2+ years later, I am interested in seeing how the sound changed.

19. Just finished listening to the 'Alternate Hunk Dory' on the Blu-ray disc. Really enjoyed it especially with the inclusion of 'Bombers' as an album track.

jhm, GRompre68, Azorbz and 1 other person like this.
  20. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

21. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

Really wish this set was less expensive so that the non-hardcore fans could have an opportunity to enjoy it especially when considering the initial Amazon price that was walked back. Frustrated.

sortvinyl and scobb like this.
  22. LostWilbury

LostWilbury Forum Resident

Streamed it and really enjoyed it, but i cannot see myself returning to it enough ( especially with so much repetition of songs) to margin a purchase of the set. But god i would love to read the book/linear notes with this one. I feel that way a lot these days. Would pay money for a digital download the book if that was possible.

LesMcQueen and croquetlawns like this.
  23. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

I took my time going through it as I tend to do with box sets where there are multiples of the same songs.

Yes it is expensive and yes it is worth it. If it comes down by say a third in price it will be a snip. I had heard the BBC stuff before in varying quality and I had also heard the BowPromo but I am sure grateful to have such a well curated release where some thought went in to sequencing on the cds and the blu ray. The live concert is lo fi but I have bought deluxe editions before containing audience recordings so the inclusion of what is to me an unreleased board recording is another big plus.

jhm, Tingman, croquetlawns and 2 others like this.
  24. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Do you stream or buy digital downloads?

25. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

Yes I stream on Apple and have it in my library on Apple.