David Bowie: Does Anyone Know If "Is It Any Wonder" Will Ever Be Available for Purchase?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by moomoomoomoo, Feb 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

This puzzles me (not doubting you though). I'm basing my impressions on the vinyl and that one track is a horrible, horrible mess and miles worse than Reality or Blackstar. It sounds 'faulty'. Perhaps my copy is...

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

No, it definitely has a wildly different sound and feel to the other tracks...I can definitely hear the compression, especially in the bass drum. But it also sounds like it was that way at the recording or early mixing stage, not necessarily from the mastering stage. (Kinda like how Foreigner's "Dirty White Boy" sounds like crap because the original tracks are squashed well before it reached mastering)

3. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. Everybody's got bigger fish to fry at the moment than my CD order.

Cat People, chickendinna and Sedwards like this.
  4. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo Thread Starter

The Flac dl is listenable on my pc (decent lo-fi system). Haven't played it on my main stereo as of yet.

5. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Um, except they published the pressing numbers for both formats when the pre-order went up.

Colocally likes this.
  6. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

Looks like I'm not in the same boat wondering where mine is too ...

I preordered the CD, got a confirmation email and everything when I did on the 14th of February, got an email three days ago now saying it was shipped, but no updates whatsoever on either of the tracking numbers they gave me (the one from DHL says en route, the other one from USPS says currently awaiting package). Hopefully it's still coming ...

7. moomoomoomoo

Here's the DR from Foobar for the flac download. Baby Universal is worse than the others, but this still blows away any Bowie release in years other than the 192 hi-res box sets from a DR pov.

DR10 -2.82 dB -15.49 dB 4:02 01-The Man Who Sold The World (ChangesNowBowie Version)
    DR13 -0.04 dB -17.09 dB 5:29 02-I Can't Read '97
    DR14 -0.02 dB -15.33 dB 7:31 03-Stay '97
    DR9 -4.30 dB -15.17 dB 3:13 04-Baby Universal '97
    DR10 -2.91 dB -17.70 dB 5:22 05-Nuts
    DR12 -2.65 dB -16.76 dB 3:35 06-The Man Who Sold The World (Eno 'Live' Mix, 2020 Remaster)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks: 6
    Official DR value: DR11

8. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Vinyl download code? I don't see it on HDTracks..

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Got my horribly overpriced copy from Rhino today.

Glad I have it but not sure how much I'll actually play it! :help:

10. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

My copy from Music Glue arrived today.

Sent home from work for two months this morning, so plenty time to listen to it I guess.

11. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

It’s a limited pressing that was only available through mail order, that was made clear when the release was announced.

MGW, aphexj and dtuck90 like this.
  12. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I didn't realize this was a limited pressing. But with things being the way they are right now, that may change. Who knows.

13. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The vinyl version is still available in the Rhino store, don’t hold your breath on it being available anywhere else except by flippers in the usual places.

14. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I also got my copy today, and I’ve played it three times already. I rate it.

_David_, vonwegen, Oatsdad and 2 others like this.
  15. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

It would be nice if mine would show up. It says shipped but according to the link it appears that it's stuck in pre shipment, been that way since Friday.

16. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Yes, I found it surprisingly enjoyable too! ;)

aladdinziggydogs likes this.
  17. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

The vinyl is still available from rhino uk

18. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I’m enjoying this ep a great deal, and it’s one of the better releases from Parlophone. It has three excellent tracks; Baby Universal’97, Stay’97, and the reworked The Man Who Sold The World. The only track I’m not that keen is the I Can’t Read remake, but I can live with it. A great ep, and deserves a wider release than this limited edition.

Zongadude, _David_ and croquetlawns like this.
  19. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

My lp and cd has been delivered to the office, security sent me an email to tell me it had arrived.

I'll pick it up when things get back to normal and we return.

TonyCzar and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I haz David Bowie CD!

(Apparently did not order to my PO Box.)

Now to figure out how to open a package in time of plague. (And we looked at places with airlock rooms and thought, "Too much.")

HA! He's shown with a cigarette on an EP titled "Is It any wonder?"

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    mishima's dog likes this.
  21. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I love this EP. Wonder how much more of this kind of quality lurks in the archives?

Tim

_David_, johnnyyen, MGW and 1 other person like this.
  22. moomoomoomoo

TONS

MGW and onlyconnect like this.
  23. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

We can but hope, but Baby Universal '97 aside, and even that is interesting, I have really enjoyed it.

24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I received my CD yesterday from Rhino. I have to agree about that first track, Baby Universal '97. Really compressed, but not loud, volume-wise.
    Where is this FLAC download that others have mentionned?
    The CD is still available on Rhino's website:
    Is it any wonder? (CD)

For what it's worth, I played it in the car this morning and I had to turn the volume up on Stay '97. :shrug:

25. moomoomoomoo

I finally played this on my main system last night. I'm very pleased with the sq; even Baby Universal has better sound on my system than Next Day & Blackstar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.