David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015 12CD or 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Jun 22, 2015.

1. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

Any idea yet on how much will this set cost?

2. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

• DAVID BOWIE

FIVE YEARS 1969 – 1973

The first in a series of David Bowie Box Sets to be released on September 25th.

June 23rd 2015 London

On this day in 1971, David Bowie performed for the first time at what was then known as the ‘Glastonbury Fair’. Today in 2015 as the Glastonbury Festival approaches once more, Parlophone Records are proud to announce DAVID BOWIE FIVE YEARS 1969 – 1973, the first in a series of box sets spanning his career.

The ten album / twelve CD box, ten album / thirteen-piece vinyl set and digital download featurs all of the material officially released by Bowie during the nascent stage of his career from 1969 to 1973. All of the formats include tracks that have never before appeared on CD/digitally as well as new remasters.

Exclusive to the box sets will be Re:Call 1, a new 2-disc compilation of non-album singles, single versions & B-sides. It features a previously unreleased single edit of All The Madmen, which was originally set for a US release but was never actually issued. Also included is the original version of Holy Holy, which was only ever released on the original 1971 Mercury single and hasn’t been available on any official release since.

Also exclusive to all versions of Five Years 1969 – 1973 will be a 2003 stereo remix of ‘The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars’ by the album’s original co-producer, Ken Scott, previously only available on DVD with the LP/DVD format of the 40th anniversary edition of the album.

The vinyl box set has the same content as the CD set pressed on audiophile quality 180g vinyl.

The box set’s accompanying book, 128 pages in the CD box and 84 in the vinyl set, will feature rarely seen photos as well as technical notes about each album from producers Tony Visconti and Ken Scott, an original press review for each album and a short foreword by legendary Kinks front man Ray Davies.

The CD box set will include faithfully reproduced mini-vinyl versions of the original albums and the CDs will be gold rather than the usual silver.

An alternate cover has been created for the 2003 mix of Ziggy Stardust by Ken Scott, which features an outtake from the original Heddon Street photo session. There is also newly originated artwork for Re:Call 1 featuring a 1973 in-studio image from renowned photographer Mick Rock.

DAVID BOWIE FIVE YEARS 1969 – 1973

6 Original Studio Albums:

David Bowie AKA Space Oddity*

The Man Who Sold The World*

Hunky Dory*

The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars

Aladdin Sane

PinUps*

*New 2015 Remasters.

2 Live Albums:

Live Santa Monica ‘72

Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture Soundtrack

Exclusive to the Box Sets:

The Rise and Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (2003 Ken Scott mix)

Re:Call 1 (2CD set)

Re:Call 1 tracklisting

CD1

Space Oddity (original UK mono single edit)*

Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud (original UK mono single version)*

Ragazzo Solo, Ragazza Sola

The Prettiest Star (original mono single version)*

Conversation Piece*

Memory Of A Free Festival (Part 1)

Memory Of A Free Festival (Part 2)

All The Madmen (mono single edit)* previously unreleased

Janine*

Holy Holy (original mono single version)* only ever issued on original ‘71 Mercury single

Moonage Daydream (The Arnold Corns single version)*

Hang On To Yourself (The Arnold Corns single version)*

CD 2

Changes (mono single version)*

Andy Warhol (mono single version)*

Starman (original single mix)

John, I’m Only Dancing (original single version)

The Jean Genie (original single mix)

Drive-In Saturday (German single edit)

Round And Round

John, I’m Only Dancing (sax version)

Time (U.S. single edit)

Amsterdam

Holy Holy (Spiders version)

Velvet Goldmine

All tracks stereo except *mono.

The vinyl box set has the same content as the CD box set pressed on audiophile 180g vinyl.

Formats:

CD Box Set 0825646284085 (UK Cat No: DBX 1)

Vinyl Box Set 0825646284092 (UK Cat No: DBXL 1)

Digital download 0825646070602

DAVID BOWIE FIVE YEARS 1969 – 1973 is released 25th September on Parlophone Records

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

well, I hope David was listening to the Roxy Music set and liked what he heard

vapor minor, Solace, hotsoup and 5 others like this.
  4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Omfg. This is one of my last two "holy grail" vinyl reissue catalogs (the other being Pink Floyd). Truly a dream come true!

richbdd01, JoeRockhead and Bowie Fett like this.
  5. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Can I be first to complain about the inclusion of the slightly shorter version of Santa Monica and the possible wrong version (again) of Starman on Ziggy even though I haven't heard any of it yet and may be wrong?

6. MHP

The 'wrong' version? Isn't that the same as the single version? That one is included on the bonus disc.

This looks extremly promising. If the remasters are of the same quality of those released on Nothing Has Changed, it will be a great set. Those remasters were, IMO, the best so far.
    I also like that they have stripped it for outtakes and only included what was originally intended. Back To Basics is always good! And finally we will be getting 'Holy Holy' in it's single version!

JoeRockhead and qtrules like this.
  7. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

If this means that the 100% analog and glorious sounding 40th Anniversary Edition Vinyl of The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars is going to be available again, it's great news, even if all the other LP's in the box are not produced to the same high standards. ;)

8. ognir rrats

ognir rrats Forum Resident

Yes! I can't wait! I hope all of the discs have the same great mastering as the Ziggy vinyl from a few years back. I have been waiting for the original version of "Holy Holy" to come out on a reissue for ages. Nice to have all of the bonus stuff together too.

9. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

The next one will cover 1974-1976.

MadamAdam and drasil like this.
  10. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

The UK single and Album version is the right version - with the loud morse section. The 40th Anniv. fell at the last hurdle in this regard, unfortunately, and had to be shot. Unless the single version had a slightly different mix or length then we're getting the loud morse 'Starman' on the bonus disc - but it should be on Ziggy - and I've now convinced myself it won't be. Ah well!

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  11. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Well, the re-call set is a bit of a disappointment. Much of the material on there has already been released (except the 1st version of 'Holy Holy' which makes its first appearance in 40+ years). Yes I know some fans will be delighted at seeing long lost single mixes but what about 'London Bye Ta-Ta', 'Growing Up', 'Bombers', 'Sweet Head', the 2nd version of 'The Supermen' or the demos on the Ryko re-issues of Ziggy/HD. And don't get me started on the dozen or so unreleased songs from that entire era. I think Dame David is being a tad conservative in his 'rarities' approach.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  12. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

A few relevant questions -

1. Who's cutting the lacquers for the vinyl reissues, and will they be cut from analog tapes or digital files?
    2. Who's remastering the CDs?
    3. Do the Ziggy and Alladin Sane CDs feature the same mastering as the 40th anniversary editions?
    4. What's the resolution of the digital downloads?
    5. How many previously released tracks have been left off the set? There must be enough bonus tracks from the Ryko reissues and the 40th anniversary editions to fill at least another CD, possibly two. And then there's all the material recorded for the BBC. They should have included everything on the set, or at least made additional context available for download.

Wade Burrow, bkbk, mdm08033 and 6 others like this.
  13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

No Diamond Dogs!!! Argh. :realmad::shake::realmad::shake::realmad:

14. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Diamond Dogs was the crossover into soul territory.

drasil likes this.
  15. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Nice set, but if you're going dig out the Arnold Corns tracks, why not give us "Man in the Middle" and "Looking for a Friend"? The latter, in its Corns' version, is a genuinely great Ziggy-era outtake.

16. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Also would have made sense to include "All the Young Dudes" here, or (better yet) the complete Bowie guide vocal with Mott's backing track.

Or even this:

Just gotta wait another 40 years, I guess.

mikmcmee, jhm, mooseman and 1 other person like this.
  17. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

yet....

jon9091 likes this.
  18. MHP

All outtakes from the period has been left off. In my opinion, that's a nice thing to focus on what was originally released during those five years. Should they include every released outtake, it would be to unfocused. Instead, every correct historical original mix are included. I'll bet we will see the outtakes later.
    No Diamond Dogs? Be patient, my friend. It will be on the next one!

19. MHP

Because those tracks were not originally officially released by Bowie. They were semi-officially released on singles and ep's not involving Bowie. Great tracks, though.

20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Ok...I feel better now. :bdance:

21. Dodgytc

Dodgytc Forum Resident

Any bets that the next box will be call "Golden Years" ?

TC

drasil, Terry Shute, supermd and 4 others like this.
  22. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Yeah, in another 20 years....oh wait, that didn't happen last time....:sigh:

23. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Your lips to The Dame's ears! :sweating:

The Panda likes this.
  24. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Very cool that they've included the 1971 Mercury version of "Holy Holy". That's one of my favorites.

Chris R likes this.
  25. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Interested. I dumped all my 99 remasters and replaced them with the Ryko/EMI versions while I (unsuccessfully) hunt down the RCAs but if this set is better than the Ryko/EMIs (albeit without the bonus tracks) I'll jump in. I'm thinking they're likely to release an out-takes collection with all the Ryko/EMI bonus material along with some extra stuff at some point though if they're seriously tackling the catalogue (which it looks like they are).

Tim Bucknall and Gems-A-Bems like this.