David Bowie: Hunky Dory - Anniversary..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Oct 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

And add in a hardback book to the set to increase weight and size of the box and FOMO because the book is unavailable elsewhere.

Azorbz, croquetlawns and Alan57 like this.
  2. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Plea to whomever is project managing the box set.
    Can it be the same height as the era sets?

3. paulybauls

paulybauls Forum Resident

The Brilliant Live Adventure box always slightly irritates me when I see it next to the other career boxes. It’s a good 9mm shorter than the others, with it essentially being an insert of a slipcase.

Markyp likes this.
  4. No chance.It won’t even be close to the same shape and dimensions.

TheLoveDrags and croquetlawns like this.
  5. mythnormadman

mythnormadman Someone has to smoke the sky

How many did conversation piece sell?

6. LesMcQueen

LesMcQueen Forum Resident

Yeah, i don't recall any grumbling about it not selling well. They hoovered-up his publishing rights since then, I presume Bowie Inc. are more than happy with Parlophone's releases.

blastfurniss and croquetlawns like this.
  7. KillVZiggyStardust

KillVZiggyStardust Oblivious Cosmic Jive

still no info lol, im starting to doubt we will be getting anything

8. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am guessing a standalone Hunky Dory SDE probably won't happen and I have generally moved towards the idea that it would be a HD / ZS hybrid set.

However someone suggested in another thread that a set that would have been released this year has been delayed until next year which makes me wonder if the set would be extended to cover the whole Ziggy period, including Aladdin Sane and maybe even Pin Ups.

Unfortunately the person who posted about the delay hasn't responded to any further queries!

Given that they have only done a SDE for the Space Oddity album so far, I wonder if they have abandoned the idea of doing one for any further albums for now. Personally I don't have a problem with that but certainly hope they continue with sets that collect any demos, BBC sessions, stray tracks and live recordings.

9. LesMcQueen

Soundtrack to Moonage Daydream next month and then the Brilliant Live re-releases probably keep the slate clean til 2023.

10. mythnormadman

mythnormadman Someone has to smoke the sky

Perhaps I am alone in thinking that the releases (CP, WOAC) are "flexible" calendar year focused rather than album focused. Perhaps it is just a subtle difference in thinking. I'm hoping the next one to pick up with the Q4 1970 demos for Chrysalis.
    A merged HD / ZS (71/72) would make the telling of the gestation of Ziggy Stardust easier but would possibly make it too large or expensive at retail. I'm sure seperate issues would be more profitable for Warner! If seperate I have no idea how they will balance chronology & cohesion. I don't envy that task.

11. Innocent Smith

Innocent Smith Always crashing in the same car

So, with the Moonage Daydream soundtrack having been released on streaming a week and a half ago, I'm realizing we have some secret news about a Hunky Dory something.

Quicksand (2021 Mix – Early Version) is on the soundtrack. I think most people assumed this was just the demo that came on the Hunky Dory Ryko (I know I did) but it being called an Early Version instead of a Demo and being called a 2021 Mix instead of Remaster got me wondering. On listening to the two tracks, they're clearly different recordings entirely (and both different than the album version). I don't have BowPromo but I believe that's just a different mix of the album version. Strangely, this wasn't made clear in the press release like the two exclusive live tracks.

If you're a librarian by day like me who loves nerdy data, the ISRC number for this particular song is USJT12100185. This lines up nicely with the ISRC number for the 2021 mix of Changes, since these numbers usually follow album order.

Changes [2021 Alternative Mix] - USJT12100180
    Oh! You Pretty Things - (unreleased but presumably USJT12100181)
    Eight Line Poem- (unreleased but presumably USJT12100182)
    Life on Mars?- (unreleased but presumably USJT12100183)
    Kooks- (unreleased but presumably USJT12100184)
    Quicksand (2021 Mix - Early Version) - USJT12100185
    And so on...

Suggesting that Ken Scott did do a full album remix but that he really went for something very different than the original (which the 2021 mix of Changes and 2016 mix of Life on Mars? already suggest) and even used different recordings for some songs.

I don't see a Hunky Dory set being released before Bowie's next birthday at the absolute earliest but this thing is out there somewhere and it's feeling more and more like it's going to be a big one.

tedkul, TeddyB, Jx84 and 16 others like this.
  12. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Funny story: the "Moonage Daydream "movie is co-presented by LiveNation and BMG. BMG Rights Management have in recent years bought up the catalogs of a lot of 2nd/3rd tier acts (Sparks, Cheap Trick) - stories which generally don't write their own headlines like when Stevie Nicks or Bob Dylan do it.

Read the closing credits of the new "Moonage Daydream" and feast your eyes on the official ownership of many of the works from the RCA years: BMG Rights Management. (IK,R?)

13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Genius. :)

Innocent Smith and CBackley like this.
  14. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

KOOKS SINGLE AVAILABLE 28th SEPTEMBER

“Remember how they messed up this old fool...”
    ‘KOOKS’, recorded by Bowie and guitarist Mick Ronson for the BBC’s Sounds Of The 70s presented by Bob Harris is available from 28th September (are you there yet?) as a download and streaming single.
    It was recorded at Kensington House, Shepherds Bush, London, Studio T1 for BBC Radio on 21st September, 1971 and broadcast on 4th October, 1971.
    This is a first tease of the upcoming Divine Symmetry set.

‘KOOKS (BBC SOUNDS OF THE 70s WITH BOB HARRIS)’ SINGLE AVAILABLE 28th SEPTEMBER TO STREAM AND DOWNLOAD

15. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Divine Symmetry!

Colinjpush likes this.
  16. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

What ever happened to Bowie's proposed American Pin-ups record? was only Bruce's "Saint in the City" recorded for that?

17. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

What's this?

18. LesMcQueen

Divine Symmetry FTW!!

19. LesMcQueen

Hunky Dory and Ziggy superdeluxe fusion yeaaah!!

...actually, just seen the brief video teaser. Looks like it's HD- only.

20. Beechlander

Beechlander Forum Resident

Guessing Divine Symmetry will be the 1971 equivalent of the Width of a Circle set released last year. Rare tracks and sessions.

Colinjpush, RAZORMADE, MGW and 3 others like this.
  21. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

He also covered Springsteen's "Growin' Up." From what I recall he kicked around the American Pin Ups idea for many years. A deluxe Pin Ups could include the Springsteen tracks as well as latter period covers from the Pixies or Dylan as well as Knock On Wood, White Light/White Heat, Waiting for the Man, etc. I'm not sure if he ever recorded anything specifically for American Pin Ups though.

MGW, phillyal1 and Azorbz like this.
  22. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

You can't judge an album by it's cover but......the title at least is perfect.

Colinjpush, croquetlawns and Azorbz like this.
  23. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

I think so so, if the campaign is "The road to Hunky Dory", I can see them making separate releases for live material, demos and the remixed album.

RrobynneUK, Colinjpush and Azorbz like this.
  24. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I don't think Saint in the City was recorded for Pin Ups. It's often been associated with Station to Station, however it sounds more like a Young Americans outtake to me.

Growing Up might have been from Pin Ups but again I am not convinced.

25. Beechlander

Beechlander Forum Resident

Could be something along the lines of this:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    Ludger and croquetlawns like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.