David Bowie - I’m Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PageLesPaul, Feb 20, 2020.

1. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

jhm likes this.
  2. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Just read through the thread. Looks like a great interesting release. I shall try and get both cd and vinyl and maybe it will get a 24/96 flac official download release as well. I have a fair amount of tapes and boots from the 1974 tour which of course we never got to see in the UK. It was 1976 Wembley Empire Pool before we saw Bowie back here.

3. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

If that’s true then it would hold out the possibility of making the archive available for download at some point similar to what Young/Springsteen have done.

4. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

No worries. Coming on the heels of the previous post, it sounded like you were referencing the 1973 Radio City shows.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Glass Candy likes this.
  5. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

I actually thought only the 1972 performance was professionally recorded. I may be wrong.

jhm likes this.
  6. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

According to Kevin Cann's book Any Day Now, Radio City was also professionally recorded.

jhm and pobbard like this.
  7. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I've been playing Cracked Actor quite a bit in the last few days. When it came out officially, I was glad, but having heard the bootleg version a few times over the years, I wasn't overly excited. Besides, the 1974 tour - in its various incarnations - has never been my favorite, based solely on the sometimes-awkward rearrangements and Bowie's over-the-top vocal performance. David Live is a fine live album, especially in its 2005 remix (which captures a complete setlist - a must for me with any archival release), but hardly a favorite. I sort of thought Cracked Actor as more of the same, only with a slightly less appealing setlist ("It's Gonna Be Me" and "John, I'm Only Dancing Again" both being songs Bowie left in the vault for a good reason, IMO; on the other hand, it's missing "Panic in Detroit", a highlight of David Live for me).

Anyway, it's taken me a while, but Cracked Actor has really grown on me. As others have remarked over the decades, it really does capture a looser, more vibrant show than the one on David Live, and honestly the sound quality and mix easily surpass every version of David Live. Earl Slick, in particular, plays magnificently, and Bowie's vocals are more sultry and loose here, all to the benefit of the tour arrangements. Many highlights, including "Moonage Daydream", "Sweet Thing/Candidate", "Rock 'n Roll With Me", even "Space Oddity" sounds great here.

All this leads me to say: while I'd love to get a live document from the 1995 tour, or another release from 1976 or 1983 (all favorite tours of mine), I'm genuinely excited to get another official live document from the 1974 tour. A real surprise and something to look forward to.

8. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

1974 is the best tour and deserves a boxset with many concerts and pictures

Spencer R likes this.
  9. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Announced now out 8-29

10. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...That was the " Nazi-salute " one??????? Or was that Clapton?

11. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

The “salute” was at Victoria station yes in 1976. You can find clips that give context.

TonyCzar likes this.
  12. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Context is rather overstated, it's not like it was part of some funny walk (index finger on upper lip).

TonyCzar, AndyP19 and Colocally like this.
  13. Steve Carroll

Steve Carroll Forum Resident

I always blamed the open top Mercedes for the 'confusion'. And Herr Bowie wasn't jack booted or Hugo Boss'ed that day. Infact, the Duke wore flip flops and a nice quilted track top from La Scala Boutique in LA.

TonyCzar and Colocally like this.
  14. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

This is for RSD, correct? Usually the initial release is vinyl followed by cd. Let's hope it follows what's happened in the past.

TonyCzar and maui jim like this.
  15. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

CD and Vinyl released the same time this year.

TonyCzar likes this.
  16. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I don't really have any doubt that this will be available widely on cd as has happened in the past but as you say they usually release these separately so I am also wondering when the cd will be available outside of RSD.

17. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

So the 8/29 date is vinyl only? Bummer....

18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The CD version was usually accompanied by a streaming/digital release as well, so hopefully that holds true this time.

19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

No. There is a cd release that day too but presumably for RSD only.

sekaer likes this.
  20. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

ah, thanks...if I can find a record store in existence, i'll be there with bells on

jhm and Bink like this.
  21. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Can’t see there being a wide CD release of this years RSD releases. The CD will be RSD exclusive and that’s it.

22. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Can you share your thoughts on why you think that will be the case?

Curveboy, chickendinna and maui jim like this.
  23. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I was under the impression all RSD releases are exclusive?

24. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

On the RSD website they list quantities for a lot of the titles, however, none of the Bowie releases have quantities.

25. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Some are, some are not. Not seeing it on the site this year, but RSD lists from previous years made a distinction between items that were exclusive RSD releases and items that were simply using RSD as their first release day.