David Bowie - New Live/Documentary Movie "Moonage Daydream"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EfWe, Nov 18, 2021.

1. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Some of the voice overs and monologues from the film without images sound almost AI generated, are they?

For instance, the opening monologue when Bowie says “that’s maybe not mortal, and you feel intrigued” sounds computer generated in an almost unnatural speech pattern. Unless, someone could point me to the full conversion/interview?

maui jim likes this.
  2. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

I'm not aware of the actual source, but it is registered by the BBC, so it is certainly not AI generated (plus, if it was, it would ruin the entire concept of it being in Bowie's words).

3. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

Very surprised at the numerous negative reviews of this film. I seriously loved it. People complaining about the 'random snippets of non-Bowie' film pieces??? All of those were snippets of film, art, etc that influenced Bowie. Loved seeing that. I thought it was brilliant the way they were woven in and out.

hutlock and ericthegardener like this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I agree it was fine for the movie to use various forms of art through the movie.

The more problematic choice was to use soundbites from movies in which Bowie acted that left the impression they were actual Bowie quotes.

Granted, I suspect that was an intentional nod to Bowie's slipperiness and the way much of his public life was an act.

Nonetheless, it felt dishonest.

5. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

I am also very dazzled and confused about how much people seem to really hate this fantastic film.
    I can only explain it with the assumption that they wanted full unedited concert parts - which is something this film didn't want to be (It still has some very good concert portions)

hutlock and Nick Drake fan like this.
  6. hakstone

hakstone Witnessing the prototype of the Eloi

I guess I'm one of the negative reviews. Seemed mostly Montague. Some interesting interviews and dialogue. Just not enough for me.

Jimmy Jam likes this.
  7. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

It wasn't that mostly. Before release it got promoted with words like exclusive unprecedented access to Bowie's archive, never before seen blah blah. The end result was hardly raising an eyebrow for longtime fans, most had been officially released or on YouTube for decades (and some said even originated from there). And the best part (Earl's Court) was reduced to snippets.

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Every highlight completely re-edited, re-mixed, and presented in the highest resolution possible is just not good enough because we've seen it before

9. ShockOfDaylight

Why are people so offended if others didn’t care for this film? A lot of these comments come off so smug.

But to answer your point…yes, I didn’t need to see the Fame ‘90 video being used over and over again.

10. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

When there is lots of things we haven't seen, or have seen not cut up and butchered, then yes.

11. andycherry

andycherry Forum Resident

i strongly dislike the assumption that someone may not enjoy moonage daydream because they were expecting a straightforward linear doc and they just don’t “get” what brett morgen was trying to accomplish.

12. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Add me to the list of viewers who were disappointed. I admit that I was expecting some kind of traditional documentary but this thing came off more like an old MTV video in spots. Many voiceovers were difficult to hear and looking back, I'm surprised that I stuck around to watch the whole thing.

13. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

Due September 26 from Criterion.

Moonage Daydream

BRETT MORGEN

Moonage Daydream
    An ecstatic voyage through the creative and spiritual universe of David Bowie, Moonage Daydream is a fittingly unclassifiable tribute to the shape-shifting rock iconoclast and his singular sound and vision. Exploding the conventions of the music documentary, director Brett Morgen remixes dazzling, never-before-seen footage of the artist throughout his career, reveling in his otherworldly presence while revealing the restless philosophical inquiry that guided his myriad metamorphoses. Graced with soulful narration by Bowie, this immersive audiovisual head rush transmits the essence of a phenomenon that cannot be explained—only experienced.

[​IMG]

FILM INFO
    • United States
    • 134 minutes
    • Color/Black and White
    • 1.78:1
    • English
    • Spine #1192
    DIRECTOR-APPROVED 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
    • 4K digital master, supervised by writer-director-editor-producer Brett Morgen, with Dolby Atmos and stereo soundtracks
    • One 4K UHD disc of the film and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • Audio commentary featuring Morgen
    • Q&A with Morgen, filmmaker Mark Romanek, and musician Mike Garson at the TCL Chinese Theatre in Hollywood
    • Interview with rerecording mixers David Giammarco and Paul Massey
    • Trailer
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by film critic Jonathan Romney and a collectible poster insert

New cover by Empire Design

Tanx, supermd, The Cat 3 and 3 others like this.
  14. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

I'd be curious to know if this contains the Station To Station deleted section that Morgen talked about.

maui jim likes this.
  15. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

That is likely in next year's special edition :)

Tim

16. ShockOfDaylight

So a bunch of Morgen and technical staff extras with a random essay, but no extra Bowie footage or music smh.

17. ShockOfDaylight

doesn't look like it contains any Bowie extras. Just all Morgen-centric stuff.

Azorbz likes this.
  18. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

Pretty sure they locked all the unused matrial away again to release it in other projects at a later date.

Quincy and Max Florian like this.
  19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Can I get a BD of the movie without the distracting voiceovers and rapid-fire collages, and just, y'know...the proper Bowie footage? :hide:

20. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

I own this on Blu Ray. Didn’t care for the film much but would like to have it in 4k. Criterion does great work. They can’t make this a great film but it will look and sound fantastic.

RAZORMADE, Azorbz and The Cat 3 like this.
  21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I came here to post this haha. I’m stoked. I almost bought the standard BD. Now I get to have an awesome Criterion release in 4K! :goodie:

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

So a completely different film. Basically raw footage. Got it.

23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It was borderline unwatchable. A waste of the IMAX screen and massive sound system the theater had, for the most part. It just didn't really...reveal anything about Bowie? Just generic out of context interview clips and lots of rapid-fire montages. More frustrating than enlightning.

24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I think there was a better, happier medium to be had. There is artistic license and then there is...this.

walrus, Jimmy Jam and Azorbz like this.
  25. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

My main issue that I have with the film was how it was advertised. It boasted having access to previously unseen material, and we got about twenty minutes of new material in the entire film. That isn't awful, but it wasn't what was suggested. This might have been an issue with the media, not the film and its advertising, but it left many disappointed.

Fabrice Outside and walrus like this.