David Bowie "Station To Station" Special Edition (2010)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Suck. Guess I'll stick with playing the RCA CD in DPL II.

2. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

This is one reason for my last HIFI upgrade.Put me down for both sets and let the fun begin!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sebastich likes this.
  3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

It will cost over $132 bucks to get the 5.1 mix.....not worth it. But it probably will show up on the net somwhere.

4. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

WOW. This is pretty awesome...don't know if I can afford or need to get the huge box, but awesome nonetheless. I'll definitely at least get the 3-CD version. Wish I could get the 1985 RCA version separately too, but what the hell, can't have everything...! I wonder how much the big box is going to be, it is pretty tempting.

5. JohnG

$132 dollars from Amazon.uk

6. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

Is that a educated Guess????I would say it will be more..

7. JohnG

I think it was listed as 87 British pounds which comes out as $132 bucks at this time.

Might be worth it for vinyl fanatics.

8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

CD 1: Station To Station (original analogue master) – tracklisting same as above.

CD 2: Station To Station (1985 RCA CD master) – tracklisting same as above.

I don't understand this. :confused:

Sebastich likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

What don't you understand? They're releasing a 2010 remaster as well as a second CD with the old RCA mastering on it. What's the confusion? :confused:

Sebastich likes this.
  10. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

The RCA master, used for the vinyl, was made from the original master and they changed the way it sounded a LOT. The changes were actually great, which is why the RCA cds have been the go-to versions of the albums. It sounds like they are just giving people the best of both options.

Sebastich likes this.
  11. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Impressive box but i think i'll go with the 3CD set. The mastering of the studio album is the important thing for me and i already have the WG RCA-CD. Hope the 2010 remaster sounds good(i was pleased with the sound of the 40th Anniversary edition of Space Oddity).

12. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Or an admission that the 1999 P.Mew mastering is atrocious... :sigh:

Don't really want to splurge, but I gotta have the 5.1 :sigh::sigh::sigh: :agree:

13. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I was wondering the same thing. I have the Japan mastering, but I've read that the WG is supposed to be much better. I guess we'll see once the peak levels are released. :D

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

What remaster?

There's the original analogue master, plus the RCA master which should have been run off the original tapes as well.

15. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

At the moment Amazon.uk doesn't list any new S2S edition....

16. Gizmondi

Gizmondi New Member

I really don't understand what all the bitching is about for the Super Deluxe Edition, or whatever they are calling it.

They are basically giving everyone EVERYTHING they could ask for: 5.1 ("Boo-hoo, how come there are no more releases in surround?"), vinyl, a new digital transfer, the 1985 mastering, single edits, the concert on CD and vinyl, trinkets galore, what more could you want?

This is the way I wish EVERY classic album title's Super Duper Deluxe Release would look like.

I think even at $150.00 this is a no brainer.

17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

It was me who kicked off this update and my info was from the very reliable www.spincds.com, which has indicated some price points - £15 and £88.

18. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I'm betting it's the Japanese one.

The vocals on the West German RCA CD sound considerably more echoey and, most importantly, unlike any other version of this album, be it vinyl or digital.

On the other hand, that uniqueness would be an extra selling point...

Still, I suspect it'll be the Japan (by pure coincidence, the first CD I ever purchased).

I'm glad they finally announced a release date for this, even if it's gonna cost a mint for the 5.1 mixes...

19. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

It would be nice to get an interview with Harry Maslin just to find out if there were any outtakes. Another question I'd love to ask about is whether the title song was all done in one take or spliced together from sections, àla Steely Dan's "Ajà".

20. X Offender

X Offender New Member

Wow. This is my all-time-favorite Bowie album so I'm going to go for the super deluxe version, if I can — even if the remaster sounds crap, there's the live album and all that memorabilia. Makes those Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane reissues look paltry indeed. And Diamond Dogs — that was really cheap.

But that bit about the "RCA CD master" did make me wonder — is it supposed to be a straight-up digital clone of the RCA CD (and which one?), or is it the nth-generation copy master (and, again, which one?) they used for that CD mastered to modern standards?

(Baseless speculation: Since, I'm guessing, this will have been done at Abbey Road, they'll use the West German CD, since that's what was available in the U.K.; after all, they said they used the U.K. LP for David Bowie/Space Oddity as their mastering guide for that reissue, not the U.S. pressing. More importantly, Bowie owns his master tapes, but would he really keep all those copy masters, too?)

21. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Hasn't been mentioned.

Hot here in Germany too. At least you're closer to a beach...

I checked the booklet of 30th Anniversary edition of Young Americans, and that does not give credit to any mastering engineer, either for the CD or DVD.

22. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up!!Now will the Deluxe Edition be LIMITED?? If so I wonder how many??Maybe I will buy 2....

Our price: £87.99
    Release Date: 20 Sep 2010
    Catalogue No:
    Label: EMI
    Format: Vinyl Box Set
    Volumes: 1

This item is due to be released on 20 Sep 2010 and will be dispatched when we receive stock.

23. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

+ 1

Only interested in the 5.1 already have the CD dont want or need the LP

24. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I understand that the Exile On Main Street Super Deluxe was a bit of a letdown. I know it was for me. When I discovered that the documentary was edited I bailed on the Super Deluxe and just bought the Bonus tracks CD at Target and streamed the DVD on my Wii from Netflix. I still want the book and have set up a search on eBay. In the case of Pearl Jam's Ten Super Deluxe, the vinyl is still unplayed, I still haven't downloaded the live Drop In The Park mp3, and have rarely listened to the CD.

Which leads me to, how many budget variations do you think will appear by the time Christmas roll around?

Cheers, Michael

25. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Looks like the STS and Miles' BITCHES BREW Deluxe will be my main purchases this fall.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.