David Bowie "Station To Station" Special Edition (2010)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Drool...

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

They have to release a seperate DVD version of this eventually, right?
    Vinyl people usually don't have surround and most surround people.don't do vinyl. Two different camps.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"CD 1: 2010 transfer of Station To Station from the original stereo analogue master in mini replica sleeve"

So that's a remaster...

4. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Well if the 2010 remaster is great and the sound of the two live CDs is great, then for me the special "poor man's" edition will be fine. I sure wish they would throw in the RCA disc in there as well, though.

5. Inertiatic-Wrist

Inertiatic-Wrist Forum Resident

I'm in both camps. Mostly it's vinyl though, because I don't have many surround albums, but if I did, it would probably be more evenly split.

My mood makes me crave a different aesthetic depending on how I feel. Does that make sense? :laugh:

I'm SUPER-STOKED about the super fancy edition and both the 5.1 and vinyl version will get MUCH use in my home!

6. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

I would think the inclusion of the 1985 RCA CD would make folks here happy. It certainly would indicate that the original issue on CD is thought of highly in the Bowie camp as well.

7. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

It seems odd to me. I can see the sense in using the vinyl master as it would sound as close as possible to the original album (?). But why the RCA CD?

Tim

8. Oatsdad

Appeal to collectors...

9. Drewbie

Drewbie Forum Resident

Hmmm, I just picked up a copy of the RCA disc this week. It will have to do...:righton:

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I'll get the CD special edition set for sure. Just wish they had a non-vinyl edition that included the 5.1 mix.

11. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

maybe they just dont have it anymore.

12. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

But the WG is more punchy - with more of everything. Seems most prefer it. Or do you not?

13. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Definitely a no brainer, to not buy. $150 bucks, are you kidding me? If they sold just the DVD for 25 bucks I would buy it, I don't want or need all that other stuff. its a good album, but short, and certainly not worth all this attention.

14. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

At least, whichever it is, we can declare the other one much better and continue to haunt eBay :)

Tim

15. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Yeah, surely quite a few collectors prepared to pay decent money for a copy of the RCA will put that money towards this set instead? Right or wrong, that means more money for desperate EMI!

16. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I'll get it if it doesn't shift in the UK and sinks in price, but it's pointless for me; I have great 1976 and 1981 vinyl issues and the WG RCA CD. I'll get the cheaper version if the Nassau mastering isn't a disaster...

17. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

In many ways this is simply Bowie's best album. I like the attetion it gets with this release.

There is not a weak track on the album, and every track is a high point in Bowie's recorded output.

You can't top it.

The next thing I hope for is a box set of "The Berlin Triology".

18. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Interesting he's included the RCA cd because he described the RCA discs as awful and was glad when they were replaced by the Rykos. Must have had second thoughts.

19. Oatsdad

Like many artists, I think Bowie senses which direction the wind blows and follows that. Artists tend to be awful judges of their own material - or their material's mastering.

Or maybe he just knew that the RCA was collectible and that this'd be a fun bonus for those willing to shell out the big bucks...

20. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

The German RCA's not bad, but it is different than any other version.

My preferred version (until the hi-rez reissue comes out, anyway), is the 1990 EMI after applying Steve's EQ tweaks. It's punchy, crisp and very 3 dimensional on my system.

21. peter

peter Senior Member

Yes. I agree. I was not even a Bowie fan when this came out in 1976. It blew me away then and it has MORE than held up now. I wish ALL deluxe editions were like. I say this even though I do not expect the vinyl to top a UK original - from past experience with re-issues. And i have to say, for all that the buyer is getting, the price to me seems fair. A little high, yes, but fair overall.

22. I'll be buying two of the deluxe IF it is not a repeat of the Pearl Jam "Ten" deluxe box which retailed in Australia for an unjustifiable AU$400 - to import it from America worked out at AU$200 including shipping! Gee, I wonder why JB Hi-Fi hasn't sold any? :rolleyes:

23. Now even I have to agree that is rather rude of them forcing vinyl down people's throats. And I say that as somebody who prefers LP's over CD's!

As I understand it, the vinyl editions are analogue mastered..... though I could be wrong there.....

I'll be making my own cassette copies! (not joking !)

24. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I can only assume the decision to exclude the 5.1 dvd from the standard issue was a fully considered marketing one. I'm guessing, but SOMEONE must be running the figures and looking at how previous Bowie (and other similar artists') special editions have been going.

To make a 4 disc reissue (album, live set on two discs, DVD) would have pushed up the price point considerably on what is the base model. They must have figured there is a breaking point around the 15 - 20 pound mark (or its dollar equivalent!).

I am guessing these super duper sets are doing well, otherwise they would not be catching on in the way they have been lately.

So the decision was to throw every bell and whistle into the super deluxe version and assume those who care enough about sound quality would be the kind of people who have invested significantly in good hifi, and so would most likely be prepared to spring for the big box.

25. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Only having the 5.1 in teh deluxe box is one less sale for me. I dont want or need the LPSs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.