David Bowie upcoming release announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tingman, Jan 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

Is it bad that I am underwhelmed by these tracks? Interesting to hear Stay ‘97 but pretty lumpen. Can’t imagine myself choosing to listen to it more than a handful of times...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    mr.datsun and IanM007 like this.
  2. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

Stay '97 was rubbish. Totally missed the point and vibe of the original. Guitars were weak and mixed too low. I thought it was a mess and lacked all the charisma and punch of the original.

3. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Stay '97 is my favourite so far

4. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

aphexj likes this.
  5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I like the first three (so far) as a playlist. "Stay '97" isn't 1976, but nothing is, really.

I think it's fine, just a little long at the end...

6. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Stay 97 has been my favorite so far, and I am excited by how it suggests that this era had many b-sides created and never used. Makes me hopeful that there may be many Omikron: Nomad Soul tinkerings when we get there, too.

7. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

Bring me the baby Universal

aphexj likes this.
  8. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I think you all missed the most important part of the story. There will be a CD released for RSD! Has any label ever issued a CD for RSD?

Thorpy, Davido and croquetlawns like this.
  9. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Yep, Virgin. Bought this for my little brother, RSD 2016:

Metallica - Record Store Day

sons of nothing likes this.
  10. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

There is another part of the story too I think. RSD has often been a pre-curser to a further release, often around June.

Previously the June release has been a cd of whatever vinyl was released on RSD. So if the cd is being released with the vinyl, will we be getting something more substantial in June?

sons of nothing and croquetlawns like this.
  11. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

In the early days I’d RSD before it became the majors cash grab it is now there were numerous cd releases.

FourWalledWorld and jhm like this.
  12. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

First things first, not having a cd non limited in June means getting in line at some store on RSD, pay the limited edition premium price, or hope it's available at a decent price later.

LoveYourLife and Bink like this.
  13. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

And hoping that it's not sold out by the time you get into the store on RSD. Some stores only get a couple of each title...

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  14. RrobynneUK

RrobynneUK Well-Known Member

Crossing my fingers these are the first taste & 'lesser' cuts from the next Re:Call to test the waters for a 90s' Bowie box. Goodness knows it's time for Black Tie White Noise to stop receiving the neglected middle child treatment, it's no Station To Station but it's no Never Let Me Down either.

15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Absolutely brilliant.
    How they left this go unreleased all this time...

seasonsinthesky, Rooster_Ties and MGW like this.
  16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

BTWN is pretty damn close to being Never Let Me Down II
    I'd rate them about evenly for bottom of the catalog.

17. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

CHANGESNOWBOWIE will be released in limited quantities on LP and CD for Record Store Day on 18th April, 2020. Nothing for IS IT ANY WONDER? EP has announced yet.

18. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

If the intent was to take a Bowie classic and give it the Outside/Earthling treatment, they knocked this one out of the park. I know there's a segment of the Bowie audience that doesn't enjoy Reeves Gabrels and this song won't do anything to change their minds. I like his playing and he really puts his stamp on this and think he just rips it up. Alford & Dorsey are incredible on the track. Such a great rhythm section they were.

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Bowie was always one to go back and reinvent his arrangements. Though I can't say that these new versions surpass the originals in every case, it's cool to hear a fresh take on the old material.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

100%. I get why casual fans might get annoyed if artists don't essentially replicate the record, but those of us who've been to more than 2 shows tend to appreciate curveballs! :)

21. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I’d like to have in a box set this year an LP done with alternate takes rather than a remix !

22. I'm not quite to calling it 'absolutely brilliant' -- but I do think it is really rather nice!

There is something about it that doesn't quite hit on every cylinder, but there is a TON that I do like about it, no doubt about it.

I think the only thing it's lacking is something that changed up the song in some more elemental way -- not unlike his 2003 remake of "Rebel Rebel", which I really do think is closer to being the perfect 'modern' studio remake of a Bowie song. OR, even better still, his stripped down 1995 remake of "Man Who Sold The World" (which I will say is 'absolutely brilliant').

And I'll also say that I would like NOTHING better than to discover a whole dozen more 'modern' studio 90's and 2000's remakes of earlier Bowie songs (like "Baby Universal"), or earlier attempts at songs only released later (like "Bring Me the Disco King").

Right now, only having heard "Stay '97" about 3 times, I'm inclined to give it about a 7/10, but I may upgrade that to 8/10 once I've heard it about 10x more.

23. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Not forgetting his & Gail Ann Dorsey's fab reimagining of 'Under Pressure' from the same era...

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I was at the first show where Bowie did that version.

After six dates of the fall 1995 tour, it was clear that the heavily NIN-oriented crowds didn't dig the mix of new songs and obscurities.

For the Meadowlands shows, Bowie pulled out "Under Pressure", presumably to give crowds something they would recognize but not something that would violate the 1990 "ban" on the hits!

Curveboy and croquetlawns like this.
  25. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Mary Anne Hobbs' show, fast forward to 1:38:45 to hear "Nuts" (or wait until midnight local time and stream it on your music streaming site of choice)

Mary Anne Hobbs - With The Hit Reset Mix - BBC Sounds

I like it a lot, cool dub-esque bassline and chugging skronky noises from Bowie's mouth and saxophone

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    MGW, vlad676 and footprintsinthesand like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.