David Byrne New Album “American Utopia” Coming March 9, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dark Horse 77, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident

Can artistic instincts include listening to feedback? Is it compromising if the artist agrees with the critics?

2. Of course we all take everything into account. I just think the artist should make the decision and not bend over to trends or critical comments. There were so many bad disco like music created by artists who probably should never have stepped anywhere near that genre in the late 70s. Many other examples too and usually that music has dated badly.

jmczaja likes this.
  3. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Listened twice to the album and apart from the opening track I can't get into it. Actually on a couple of songs his singing is rather bad, I think. I really wanted to like this album, but so far unfortunately not. I never really got into Byrne's solo career, although I was a huge fan of Talking Heads. I only have his Eno collaboration from a few years back. It was ok, and I saw the tour which was great. I will be passing on this.

4. silvina

silvina Forum Resident

I've listened to the new álbum a few times on spotify in the past 2 weeks (the first time being on the date of reléase) , and I'm enjoying it. I've played it to my mum a few times and she liked the song Everyday Is A Miracle. It's the only David Byrne álbum I've Heard so far. I've never heard anything by the Talking Heads, so far, except for the hits, of course.
    As a side note, the first time I streamed the álbum on Spotify, there was an announcement of his show here in Montevideo for March 20 (the tickets were very expensive) . He played at Teatro De Verano, 3,000 seats anphiteatre., the same place where I saw New Order 4 years ago. It's certainly a bigger place than Teatro Plaza, the place where Byrne played the first time he visited Montevideo, in 2004. I would never have tought he would fill the Teatro De Verano, which is the 3rd biggest venue in Montevideo. The day after the show, the local news showed images of the concert. So, I then watched videos of the show on YouTube, but the quality of the recordings was terrible.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Coachella is streaming his festival set.

10:20pm PST saturday/1:20am EST Sunday

6. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Saw him last night in San Diego - cannot express just how wonderful, fresh, inventive and energetic the concert was! Recommended!
    Here are some of my photos

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RubenH, serj, oxegen and 2 others like this.
  7. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Sorry! What apology?
    Been reading the thread,mand find nothing about an apology
    Enlighten me! :)

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Someone pointed out to him that there were no females in his touring ensemble. He apologized, saying something like this was an oversight and he felt bad about it. And he pointed out that he has associated himself with many women in his solo career

fRa likes this.
  9. raphph

Not touring ensemble - but no females collaborations on his album. His touring ensemble has prominent females

aphexj and Zach Johnson like this.
  10. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

thanks!

11. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Nice photographs, waist level and pretty close.

raphph likes this.
  12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The diverse lineup works to the songs’ benefit, I think. Album versions are a little staid, compared to the live clips I’ve seen so far

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  13. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

How full was it? Last time I checked on Ticketmaster, it seemed like more than half of the venue was unsold. He has another date at the same venue next week which is sold out.

14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Is anybody still waiting for the free CD that came with their ticket? I expected it would arrive around the time the album was released and I’m still waiting. When I complained they said they’d shipped it March 5 but shipping to Canada can take up to 24 business days (seriously?)... it’s now been 29.

15. raphph

About 75% I'd say - but felt packed due to raucous crowd! That said - I was able to sneak into a second row seat!! I'm trying to get a Coachella ticket to see him again this weekend

16. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

I think mine showed up March 29 (the day before the long weekend).

17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

My wife bought tickets for a bundle of shows, and she has received no end of copies!

18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

2 different friends in Vancouver got theirs about a week ago.

19. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Fantastic photos!

raphph likes this.
  20. iwokeinrelief

iwokeinrelief Forum Resident

Dallas show tonight! So pumped!

21. raphph

22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It an excellent CD:edthumbs::cheers: