David Crosby (Cameron Crowe)- Croz's life, "Remember My Name" documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Feb 8, 2019.

1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Compass is good. But imo, Tracks In The Dust is in DC's top 10.

ARK, Sci-Flyer, csnfan and 1 other person like this.
  2. Me, too. That's my "go to" version of Got It Made. They had some curious decisions in those years. Another huge mistake was not using "The Climber" on the last CSNY album

was one of the worst ones. This would have been the best song on that project, by far.

csnfan and painted8 like this.
  3. Simon

Simon Forum Resident

I would really like him to finally release what should have been his second solo album in the late 70's with the original versions of Delta, Might as well have a good time, Drive my car, Distances, Flying man, Melody, Samurai, Kids and dogs, King of the mountain.
    These versions are superior to those released in other contexts, in particular Melody (very different from that of Oh yes I can, more natural, less overproduced, more electric and vibrant.), Samurai (diffrent from that of Crosby-Nash, in the same mood as in If icould only remember my name, with only Croz' vocal stacks), Flying man wich is longer in the first version (great Larry Carlton guitar solos). I haven't heard the original version of Delta without Nash's voice but I guess it is also better.
    The other ones have been released elsewhere but I think in the original album context it could have been the missing link and a great collection.

7solqs4iago, csnfan and bonus like this.
  4. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

I agree, I have this album on cassette. Drive My Car is on the Box Set and Samurai is on Voyage. This album was rejected I believe although I personally think the quality was there. The earliest material dates all the way back to 1970 (Kids And Dogs, which is also on Voyage although it is a Stanley Johnson 2005 mix). I was looking at the credits on Oh Yes I Can this morning wondering which elements were salvaged from this album. I think Monkey & The Underdog might be from these sessions with a radically different mix and some further overdubs, possibly Flying Man and the credits for Drop Down Mama seem like a 1970's recording (Tim Drummond on bass, Jim Keltner on drums). I think Oh Yes I Can is a great album and using the original genesis of some of those tracks could make a great deluxe edition of Oh Yes I Can. If it included the original album it would be an essential purchase for me.

Simon likes this.
  5. Simon

Simon Forum Resident

It seems to me that a different version of Drop Down Mama can be heard in the Remember My Name documentary. I don't own the DVD (it hasn't been released in Europe) so I can't check, but it would be interesting to know.

fretbuzzed likes this.
  6. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

......friends, I haven’t seen Remember My Name as it has no region 2 release (I’m in the UK) but it’s been alleged elsewhere that there’s not a single mention of Stills in it. Is that so?

lemonade kid and fretbuzzed like this.
  7. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Hmmmm...sounds right. Strange if true--can't say for sure, but Stills definitely did not get any big mention either way. Ikinda join Croz & Stills at the hip in my mind, due to their very long musical association...

[​IMG]

Some quotes from LA Magazine:

https://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/david-crosby-remember-my-name/

“It’s really gritty,” Crosby says of the Cameron Crowe-produced film. “Two or three times I said, ‘That can’t be in there,’ and they put it right back in.”

In the documentary you tell the story of your life like you’re already gone. Why?

I’m close, honey. I may have ten years; I might have two months. I’ve been diabetic for 30 years. I had a liver transplant. I have eight heart stents. I had hep C. They cured it with 40 pills for $40,000. It worked—for that money it better have. The only thing I can do now is use the talent I was given.

Roger McGuinn says he fired you from the Byrds because “David became insufferable,” and all your other major musical relationships—with Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, Neil Young—ended in acrimony.

I know I’m a mixed bag. I’ve made a lot of mistakes. But the film had to go hard, or we would not be proud of it. But it’s real—it’s not ********. Most documentaries these days are as deep as birdbaths—self-serving shine jobs. I want to know what makes a human being do the things they do.

Your voice is still great. How in the hell is that?

I really don’t know. It doesn’t make any sense. People at my shows say I’m singing as well as I ever have—or better.

But you still smoke…

Sure but not cigarettes. Cigarettes **** up your voice. That’s what happened to Stills. Um, moving swiftly along…

In your first interview with Crowe you said, “The only thing that counts in the end is if you’ve got any ****ing friends.” Do you think you’ll hear from McGuinn, Stills, Nash, or Young after they see the documentary?

No. They’re all mad at me. That’s their right. Unless people actually want to be friends with you, it’s pretty hard. We loved each other when we started. They’ve all been pretty vocal that everything’s my fault. The important part is that I’m making good music again. Lookin’ over my shoulder—not so much.

I do hope we get to se Croz live once again..sure wish he'd do some kind of live youtube concert as so many have....LK

ARK likes this.
  8. lemonade kid

A bit of the honest, no holds barred Croz from Esquire:

David Crosby Does Not Give a Single F***

David Crosby Interview

Croz is always a pleasure to hear...or read

[​IMG]

9. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I know Yahoo recorded and filmed one show from his solo tour (just him and a acoustic guitar) from maybe 6 years back. I was lucky to see this tour and David standing up there for, say, 90 minutes all by himself was both great and inspiring. Yahoo had the show up for only 2-3 days.

It would be great if it was something that could be readily available.

moomoomoomoo, bonus and lemonade kid like this.
  10. lemonade kid

This from Croz:
    David Crosby Remembers Jerry Garcia: ‘He Did Not Play for Money — He Was Chasing the Notes’

David Crosby Remembers Jerry Garcia: ‘He Did Not Play for Money — He Was Chasing the Notes’
    Chris Willman
    [​IMG]August 9, 2020, 4:29 PM

[​IMG]

Rock fans think of David Crosby’s name in so many cases as part of something with commas or ampersands involved — the duo Crosby & Nash, the trio Crosby, Stills & Nash, and the quartet that added Young to make it a foursome — but there was another key collaborator in the late ’60s and early ’70s whose name was never so formally conjoined to Crosby’s: Jerry Garcia. The central figure of the Grateful Dead was clearly grateful to frequently enter into Crosby’s orbit, most especially on “If I Could Only Remember My Name,” the solo debut on which Garcia played so crucial a part, Crosby nearly considers him a co-producer — especially as he thinks back on unspoken bonds of friendship that got cemented during that emotionally rough patch in his life.

In celebrating Garcia 25 years after his passing on Aug. 9, 1995, Variety could think of no greater Jerry booster to speak with than Crosby. As long as he’s alive and has anything to do with it, no one will have a problem remembering Garcia’s name.

VARIETY: At one point on Twitter, someone asked you who you from the music realm you missed the most, and in one word, you said Garcia. Is that still who you’d name, if you had to?

CROSBY: Yeah. Of all of the people that I can think of that I’ve really loved as musicians — and then there are some stunners in there that I miss; I miss (Jimi) Hendrix, I miss Janis (Joplin), I miss my friend Cass (Elliott), I miss a lot of people that I lost — yeah, I probably miss him the most. If I had had to pick somebody to represent musicians to the world and to the universe, I would have picked him. He cared about the right things. I don’t know how to explain it really well, but we’ve got to try. The most valuable thing in the world to him other than his family was the music, and he wanted it all the time. He would walk in the room and, yeah, he would talk to you about regular s— and he could be a regular guy and you could go have a meal or a beer. But what he really wanted to do was pick up the guitar. And the minute he and I started to play anything, it got good, right away, immediately — which is not possible, all the time. But every single time that I sat down with him to play anything, it got magical. And you can’t ignore a thing like that, if it happens right in front of you over and over again. .. I just was entranced by that.

I loved the guy. He was a sweet guy and he was funny as s—. And he was very, very bright and curious and interested in science and in the world and in people. But above all, man, he was a musician. Above all.

more...

Radagast, ARK, Sci-Flyer and 4 others like this.
  11. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

watched it on the weekend, a MUST-SEE for music fans (fans of him and that era will watch it a few dozen times)

12. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

13. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

......just discovered the BluRay is region free.....

14. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I noticed this film finally popped up in the free movie section on my cable system. I watched it last night. I liked the parts where he was going around to the various houses. There was no mention of his first son (I don't think.) His second son seems to stay in the background.

15. moomoomoomoo

Was there a son before Raymond?

16. Analogmoon

That's who I meant. I should have mentioned his name. The other one is named Django.

17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It was surprising he didn’t mention Raymond when discussing his creative resurgence.

vegafleet and ARK like this.
  18. moomoomoomoo

I was also surprised how little Raymond was mentioned. Was Django the artificial insemination with Melissa Etheridge's wife, or someone pre Jan?

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Django is Jan and David's son, apparently conceived through fertility treatments. He has a third son and two daughters as well. In the documentary, he refers to one of his daughters hating him, along with McGuinn, Stills, Nash and Young.

20. teag

teag Forum Resident

Sounds like a great super group.

jas621 likes this.
  21. teag

teag Forum Resident

Old joke applies here: Is that the number of friends he has?
    Or maybe that’s one too many.

22. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

How is the is guy still alive? Also what platform can I see this on?

23. moomoomoomoo

I have the dvd. It's also on blu-ray. How he's still alive is a very good question.

24. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Forum Resident

thanks for the heads up on this, I've just placed my order.
    Hope it turns up before their estimated delivery period as I will be away during that week.
    At least it will be something to look forward to on the drive home.

blackdograilroad likes this.
  25. Analogmoon

In my area - it was listed as a rental for $19.99. For some unknown reason, it was also in the "free move section". It is being shown by Starz. My cable provider is Comcast.

I don't think there was any talk of him getting arrested again some years back, the unfortunate story of him hitting someone with his car (I think this ended up costing him a lot of money), or that he sold his boat the Mayan. Also - the part at the end of CSN at that Christmas show was painful to watch/hear.