David Crosby interview ”meltdown” July 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Except they're halfway into an hour interview and only up to 69/70? At that kind of glacial pace, they could have been there all day... or, oops! We've run out of time to discuss your recent projects, Mr. Crosby.

And really, asking that boneheaded question about whether it's easier to write songs when you're stoned...:tsk:

I'll give the interviewer a couple of points (begrudgingly): 1 for doing the research (which it's clear he did do) and another 1 for getting a clever last word (playing on the title of the documentary). But in fact, it's a fair point to ponder whether this "journalist" intentionally aggravated Crosby in order to use that clever line. If so, shame on him, not the Croz.

eternalise and Mother like this.
  2. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Oooo - what was that??

3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

On the other hand, if someone would aks Crosby really interesting questions he'd probably stomp off too. questions like about the whole Van Courtland family legacy, or "if you knew you were pissing off everyone why didn't you just shut up? It's true getting kicked out of the Byrds led to CSN(&Y) but the alternative might have been even better music by an intact Byrds." or "Did you ever apologize to Gene for the bunny ears?"

4. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I didn't know that. I went to the second of the two LA shows, and recognized McGuinn's wife at the merch table, but I didn't know the other lady was Hillman's wife. Makes sense though!

Anyway, I was more interested in talking to Herb Pedersen that night, and I got a few minutes in with him.

signothetimes53 likes this.
  5. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

actually it was 2015 sorry. the worst version of Silent Night in history! Crosby and Nash got into a pushing and screaming match both before and after the performance! sadly, it's the last time they ever played together.

jeremylr, D.B. and AppleCorp3 like this.
  6. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

They should had Crosby record a post interview statement like the interviewer prepared so that we could have experienced both angles beforehand instead of listening to only one side before.

eternalise, MortSahlFan and Hammerpeg like this.
  8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

You could be right about his team, and I'll give you the rank amateur description on the interviewer. So what? Really, how hard is it to sit there and answer honest questions about your own career? There was no evil agenda on the interviewer's behalf, no attempt to resurrect Mike Wallace. Sit there, be nice, and answer the questions, and then leave and never do another interview again. Be a pro.

Somebody mentioned how McGuinn was able to do the same thing and be nice. McGuinn also indicated that while everybody doesn't hate Croz, nobody would ever want to work with him again. Unfortunately, very easy to see why.

RudolphS, ARK and signothetimes53 like this.
  9. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

When I hear Crosby rant like this, it often brings to mind the image of Clint Eastwood with a loaded shotgun, shouting at the kids to get off his lawn. :laugh:

Hammerpeg and sberger like this.
  10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

are you aware that crosby's first solo album is called 'if i could only remember my name"?

if you are, then you should fully understand the title of the movie.

if you are not, then you should probably refrain from making snide comments about something you know nothing about.

so, in actuality, the title is perfect.

grapenut, sbsugar, steve722 and 2 others like this.
  11. I don’t think that the interviewer planned to do that at all to use his clever close. It doesn’t take much foresight to pull something like that together. Look, it was going at a glacial pace and I understand Croz’s frustration because no artist really wants to dwell on the past (and he also made his agenda clear as well that he wanted to address his last four albums which is a terrific run of releases showcasing Croz at a late career peak). I can easily see both points of view@;$ Croz made it very clear things were moving too slow for him. The interviewer should not have been so clueless that, whe Croz pushed back on wanting to talk about the recent past, he should have abbreviated his questions. Me, if I was a Croz, I would have insisted on briefly covering the past, focusing on the doc and then moving on to the recent past.

This could have been handled better by both parties in my opinion. A good interviewer can recognize frustration and move beyond that to help retain control.

I’ve interviewed a handful of celebrities over the years when I got a sense they were frustrating I would ask them where they would like to go to next and allowing them to help determine some of the direction helped. The interviewer did offer that option and I would have taken that into consideration and change the line of questioning appropriately but it’s more difficult to make that decision and realize the mistake when you’re in the middle of the interview. Arm chair quarterbacking is easy.

Never said he wasn’t. The interviewer missed the level of frustration building and Croz could just have stated he wanted to move on to the present.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    eternalise likes this.
  12. Jo B

Jo B Forum Resident

Crosby is intentionally singing off key.

groundharp and Fullbug like this.
  13. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I was friends with the medical director of Fair Oaks rehabilitation hospital where Crosby spent some time back in the day. My friend described David as the most difficult patient he'd ever had (as a personality, not as a case), and in more pejorative terms which the censorship algorithm here won't allow me to repeat.

RudolphS, Jo B and Fullbug like this.
  14. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Uhhmm, doctor-patient privilege? Should you really be posting that?

smoke and ARK like this.
  15. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

The Awards Chatter The Hollywood Reporter Awards Podcast (WTF!!) is best avoided.

He didn't have a meltdown. Crosby was very reasonable and patient.

This nasally whiny passive-aggressive ignorant disrespectful ******* who is not fit to tie David Crosby's shoelaces asking DUMB boring questions such as: "explain like what harmony is...", or "if you had come along like a few years before you like did...", or "there's no rational reason why you're here", inching through his life week by week.

People in their 20s and 30s can read one of the many books on this guy, remember them? Cmon man.

Crosby was 100% correct. Scott Fineberg is a ****ing idiot.

Don't waste your time with this, instead try a podcast such as the lads from Sodajerker on Songwriting who actually have a conversation.

smoke, steve722, fishcane and 2 others like this.
  16. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I agree that the fault is not Croz (nor Lou, nor Bob Dylan) but really lame interviewers. My favorite blow-off might be when Ali G interviewed Andy Rooney (of 60 Minutes). Rooney said 'get a dictionary, I don't have time for this', and left. Of course Ali G was a parody of a white British rapper, I had more respect for Rooney dissing him and blowing the joint than a lot of other sad old geezers trying to be hip and suffer the fool. Mr. T knew to at least pity the fool... :D

You go Croz! :righton:

Mother likes this.
  17. MothMonsterMan

MothMonsterMan I am a moth who just wants to eat your flag

Goddamn that's a lot of Vans

ARK, Jo B, MortSahlFan and 1 other person like this.
  18. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah he was speeding out of his mind there....still funny though 'never forgave us for Nagasaki....'

DTK likes this.
  19. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

All in all I get why Crosby was not happy with the interview, but at the same time if he wanted specific questions or eras to be the focus of the interview say so either beforehand or say at the half hour mark, "let's talk about ___ now", no need to blow up in such a manner IMO

20. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Did you listen to the whole interview? Crosby tried that and the interviewer got all defensive.

21. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I did hear the whole thing and like I said I get why Crosby was not happy, I just think that there were better ways to handle an imperfect interview than yelling and calling people "dip****s", that's all lol

DavidD likes this.
  22. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Well that was awkward. The guy had obviously done his homework but had no awareness of what give and take is necessary for a good interview. It should be a conversation.

Could Cros have handled it better? Maybe, but I kind of understand his frustration. He really wanted to talk about the doc and his recent work, not play TMZ.

I’ll give David a pass. He probably feels that he doesn’t need to be wasting any time like that 30 minutes he can’t get back.

23. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

Yikes! That “Silent Night” rendition is so awful it gives the entire Bob Dylan Christmas In The Heart album a run for the money!

Why did Crosby intentionally sing “Silent Night” off key in front of the President of the United States (POTUS was in the audience)? What is your source for it being intentional?

Earscape and Next Year's Man like this.
  24. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

David Crosby is bald fat and a has been. Or was that your point and I missed it?

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

According to Crosby, the monitors weren't working and Steven can't on key without the monitor. He said it as a matter of fact, not a diss.

Earscape likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.