David Crosby MFSL 2x45 Supervinyl & SACD If I Could Only Remember My Name*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eskimo Chain, Mar 24, 2022.

1. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

What's the issue with the outer sleeve/packaging you're referring to? You mean the Classic 45rpm specifically?

2. Wingtip

Wingtip Forum Resident

I don’t know anything about the 33rpm Classic, but the 45rpm Classic is four thick single-sided discs. The outer sleeve is matte but not textured like the original. The problem is that it only holds one LP and there is no provision made for the other three discs - they have paper inner sleeves but that’s it. There should have been a small box or bookfold case (like Grateful Dead’s Sunshine Daydream) to hold all the discs.

3. teag

teag Forum Resident

I listened to the MFSL 45 vs. the Classic 45 last night.

The Classic won the shootout quite easily. More natural sounding and better balance. For example, on What Are Their Names, the MFSL boost the bass too much. The Classic also has better sounding vocals - clearer and more balanced with the instruments.

The MFSL does present the guitars very, very clearly. Sometimes it sounds too clear and you can hear too much pick on the strings, especially on Orleans.

Both sound great, the Classic 45 just greater.

Tommyboy, Crosseyed, izgoblin and 5 others like this.
  4. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree. The Classic is also on this ridiculous one side only 45 rpm format in a cheap untextured cover. The MoFi cover is beautiful. For all the nonsense, the Classic does sound more like the best version of this album to me.

The MoFi is safe at home though. It’s not going anywhere.

pinkrudy and Joti Cover like this.
  5. Interesting, the other 3 discs don’t even have generic outer jackets? I only have 1 4 LP Classic Records release, Time Out, and it has the single LP outer jacket with the album artwork for disc 1, then discs 2-4 have generic white outer jackets. Either way, it’s a really silly packaging choice. Not sure why you wouldn’t just make it a box set. Must have been pinching pennies.

Joti Cover likes this.
  6. teag

teag Forum Resident

That’s exactly how my Crosby 45rpm from Classic Records is packaged.

7. Wingtip

Wingtip Forum Resident

That’s right, they did have generic outer sleeves! I tossed them in favor of storing the discs in MoFi innersleeves and keep all 4 plus the cover in a thick Record Keeper sleeve.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  8. teag

teag Forum Resident

It came with 3 thick white outer jackets and audiophile grade inners. You tossed the generic thick cardboard white outer jackets? Or the RTI provided inner sleeves?

9. Wingtip

Wingtip Forum Resident

This discussion is getting very arcane but yes, I removed the original generic sleeves for discs 2-4 and all four original innersleeves, and use only the disc one outer sleeve, with all four discs in Mofi inners in a Record Keeper sleeve. My records are not on display but kept in drawers below my stereo. Because space is at a premium in the drawers, I eliminate extra packaging (like box set boxes, one-step boxes, etc.) and store it elsewhere.

[​IMG]

10. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

I recently got the Mofi 45 and finally played this morning while also spinning my mint Monarch press in between side flips to do loose comparisons. First off, the Mofi has scuffs, is dished and off-center. That's annoying and I am awaiting replacements. But I really like how Phil's bass sounds on all his tracks. My speakers are also single driver, no crossover, so some bass boosting can sound great. My original Monarch is no slouch but the surface noise can be annoying in quieter parts, so the Mofi wins there. I have the Classic 33 but haven't listened in a long time. I know I used to prefer the original to that one. Man I wish I could score the Classic 45 single side! I'll probably pickup the Rhino/CB too as this has been a favorite album of mine since I was a kid digging in my dads collection.

11. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Weird choices by Hobson & Co.
    I have the 4x45rpm "Our Man in Jazz" - came with 4 x identical printed jackets.

12. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Is the Classic 45rpm pressing completely different than the 'original' Classic 2003 (180g) pressing, or is it essentially the same mastering with the additional sonic benefits provided by any 45rpm (single-sided) pressing? According to the comments they seem to be completely different beasts, but wondering if that's really the case.

13. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Has anyone else done a shootout with this and the 50’th vinyl? Would love to get more opinions between these two.

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I finally compared the MOFI to the Classic Records 45 rpm. My comments:
    • Packaging is probably a win for MOFI, because the nicely textured cover. However, I am one of those that does not like the colored strip across the top of the album jacket and the special disc labels; I very much prefer period-accurate packaging.
    • Disc 1 of the MOFI was slightly warped. I may try to flatten it with the Vinyl Flat, but haven't decided if I want to do that yet. I have not tried to flatten any records pressed on SuperVinyl yet. Otherwise, the LP's were flat, centered and quiet except in the runout area.
    • The MOFI has more detail than the Classic, and a bigger (but tight not boomy) lower end. It sounds wonderful, with beautiful, shimmering voices and acoustic guitars. If I were playing some music to "show off my system" to a friend, I might put on "Orleans" so my friend could hear the breathy voices and the crystal clear guitar parts in a large soundstage. I found it detailed without it sounding "harsh" and I did feel that I was hearing things that I had not heard before.
    • THAT SAID, I can understand people preferring the Classic Records 45 rpm version. The vinyl is not as quiet, which is a negative, and the sound is not as detailed. However, it's closer to the sound of the album we grew up with. That's particularly important with this album because it has always seemed hazy, misty, dreamy, ephemeral. The clarity that is such s signature of the MOFI sound disturbs that dreamy quality to some extent - some would call the Classic 45 "more musical" and I would not disagree with that.
    • Conclusion for me is it's a toss up - I like hearing the detail of the MOFI pressing and find it impressive, but I suspect that I am more likely to want to listen to the Classic. I have found that to be the case with Tapestry, ad Bridge Over Troubled Waters as well - I find the "less detailed" Classic Records versions somehow more familiar, more pleasing.
    By the way, someone talked about tossing the Classic 45 generic outer sleeves and inners and replacing them with MOFI inner sleeves. I agree that replacing old Classic Records inner sleeves is a good idea because some of those sleeves (for records pressed by RTI in the 00's) were actually quite abrasive even though poly lined resulting in a lot of micro scuffs", but I would not have tossed the outer sleeves because they have stickers with the Classic Records label and "2 of 4", "3 of 4" and "4 of 4".

15. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Great comments…

I agree that the MOFI could sound maybe too much detailed compared with the good previous editions.
    However, the number and level of the musicians playing here, may deserve that.

rob303 and Joti Cover like this.
  16. Chiwubbs

Chiwubbs Active Member

I got mine today from Music Direct and both discs are dished. Hopefully I can get it sorted, this is my first mofi and first time ordering from music direct.

Love the album and the clarity. I don’t have other reference copies but some areas do seem particularly bass heavy and in terms of the high end info, some clinks and picking sounds of the guitars can seem slightly harsh.

Overall though, a wonderful experience.

Marv Headroom and Joti Cover like this.
  17. Marv Headroom

Marv Headroom Forum Resident

Glad you enjoyed the album! I find it to be very relaxing to listen to and have been surprised how many times I gravitate to playing it again. Wonderful music that is exceptionally well recorded. Cheers!

Chiwubbs likes this.
  18. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Rhino did not use the same "plate" if I understand you correctly or even the same mastering engineer. The Classic was done by Bernie Grundman, and the Rhinos were done by Chris Bellman. And they sound noticeably different.

As for my opinion, I only bought the MFSL SACD. I heard some positives, but to my ears, the whole thing got noticeably brighter after the first two tracks. That would be a big failure in my opinion. I meant to go back the next day and make sure it wasn't my ears, but I just haven't had the time/inclination. Probably not fair to compare digital to vinyl, but I definitely preferred the Classic regardless. I do intend to compare it to my Rhino 50th CD at some point just out of curiosity...

19. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Copy 1129 arrived here today (SACD). I have the 192/24 FLAC and need to listen to that again to compare perhaps but..
    First impression is the SACD feels more engaging and musical and the bottom end is quite striking and the guitars sound incredible.

Chiwubbs, dtuck90, ssmith3046 and 2 others like this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Very disappointed with this release and it has nothing to do with the fact this is sourced from digital. The sound is all off. Too much top and bottom end. The latest Chris Bellman version sounds much more natural.

21. FWIW, it appears the MoFi is AAA. “1/4" / 30 IPS analog master to lathe”.

David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Really? I thought it was sourced from DSD?

Nevertheless, I still stand by my comments.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Where have you been?

Tommyboy likes this.
  24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I must have missed it in the MoFI Fraudsters thread

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well, at first they listed it as a DSD 256 transfer, then changed it to this. I like this record very much. I don't have any other copies, though.

Joti Cover likes this.