David Crosby Wants A CSNY Reunion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Nope, in fact it's expected after a fashion. But it would be nice,
    just once, that people can shake and call it a day. It kinda did
    happen with The Floyd, but ending that way always seems
    unfinished business.

2. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

And even the Floyd only shook hands after great acrimony over use of the band name, the distribution of royalties and credit, and battles over creative control.

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  3. That's actually how the Crosby solo show I saw was. He didn't get on the soapbox very much at all, and it was almost entirely about the music. But the one time he did go "soapbox-y," it was interesting to see how the Canadians reacted.

mark ab and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. TheDailyBuzzherd

What happened?

Real quick, Burton Cummings in a full Guess Who show two weeks after 9/11 said,

"I hope they get those who did that to you guys."

The place erupted in "USA!!! USA!!!" for five minutes. Quite a moment.

5. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

One thing I've noticed: if you mention the name 'Brian Mulroney' within earshot of a Canadian, you will get a reaction!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. He contrasted the Canadian situation (young Trudeau) to the US pending decision between Trump and Clinton (and had choice words against both of them). Then he commented how "lucky" the Canadians have it with Trudeau and why can't the US have someone similar. I'm guessing that may have gone down well in Toronto and Ottowa, but on this particular night? He was in Calgary.

(Note: this isn't a political comment on my part. I'm only saying that the Canadian reaction, which had been very supportive when he criticized Trump and Clinton was considerably less supportive when he made out Trudeau to be a kind of messiah. Crosby forgot that Harper was most likely pretty popular in Alberta, who had a sort of economic golden age during his time in office.)

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  7. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

I saw them in Chicago for that tour and it was sold out as well. Also Stills displayed the very best acoustic guitar playing I have ever seen! His solos left me in awe.

8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

He is peerless on the acoustic.

RockRoom and Humbuster like this.
  9. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Each to his own, but he's not the player he was in 1970. Pevar is way more talented too. Where does that put brilliant acoustic players like Tommy Emmanuel or Richard Smith, first two I thought of but there's hundreds of great players out there.

10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Don't know Richard Smith. I do rate Jeff Pevar & Tommy Emmanuel very highly though.

Last time I saw Stephen Stills was on his Man Alive tour, so we are going back a decade, but the first half of the show was just him & his acoustic, and he just made it seem so effortless. Certainly the best I've ever seen. The combination of technique & emotion was simply stupifying. Add that the the amazing body of work he's left us and I'm happy to stand by my original statement. :)

bonus, Matthew Tate and rjp like this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

i agree. in "mainstream" rock and roll, stephen stills has no peers on the acoustic guitar, and not too many better on the electric either.

12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

One of my musical heroes!

Tommy Jay, The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Don't get me wrong, I'm a lifetime fan too ! And seen him many times in UK and Holland over the years with CSN(Y). Just wouldn't put him right at the top of the acoustic players.

carlwm likes this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Fair enough! :)

chrisblower likes this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Pete Townshend is a peer on acoustic guitar, but your point is well taken, few match Stills.

Matthew Tate and carlwm like this.
  16. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

he may need money, he may need attention, but we know he's as artistically vital as, to me at least, he has EVER been, and i think it's a sweet gesture of not just friendship but kindness to the many, many fans, (even if some of us might know better or not care), who would like to hear and see them together again and hear that body of music.

it's probably a nice thing to get to feel, the waves of love from many thousands of people at once, it's probably fun to be on stage with graham nash stephen stills and neil young, if you aren't in a fight with them, and it would be a nice thing all around for many people. good on him for not standing in the way of it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    keyXVII, Sandinista and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Barring the odd single, I don't know The Who's music.

Does Pete Townshend play a lot of acoustic?

18. PacificOceanBlue

Quite a bit.

groundharp likes this.
  19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Hadn't realized.

The few song I've hears always seemed quite electric and riff heavy.

20. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

some townshend on acoustic doing who songs you might be familiar with:

21. PacificOceanBlue

Acoustic guitar is all over “Tommy,” and things like “Sunrise,” “Behind Blue Eyes,” “Going Mobile,” “Love Ain’t For Keeping,” “I’m One,” “Imagine A Man,” “Who Are You,” and “Sister Disco.” You should check it out, some pretty cool acoustic work incorporated into that material. And of course there is a ton of acoustic work in his demos.

jeremylr, carlwm and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Hoffman Forum police!
    Isn’t this thread about CSNY??

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. TheDailyBuzzherd

* sarcasm understood *

24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Many thanks for the info.

You're right. I need to check them out!

25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Meandering threads are one of the joys of the forum! :)

ARK, PacificOceanBlue and rednoise like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.