David Crosby Wants A CSNY Reunion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

He did do an album with Judy Collins about a year and a half ago.

I am just happy Neil is playing and David has put out some solid material as of late. I've seen CSNY a few times and to be honest, I'd rather see the guys do other things.

2. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

He did cut an album with Collins. I haven't heard the whole thing, but what I heard, Stills sounded slightly better than I expected, but still kinda weak. My impression is that his songwriting muse has mostly deserted him, and health issues prevent him from singing and harmonizing like he used to. It's sad and disappointing, but he shouldn't hold the others back if he can't cut it.

I've heard some pretty good electric guitar playing from Stills more recently, but it was loud blaring rock stuff. For a long time his acoustic playing has been tainted by some electronic chorusing or harmonizing effects. It all reinforces my suspicion that his hearing has negatively affected his playing in general.

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

did you check out the albums by the rides? he had a lot of good tunes the he wrote

The Rides - Virtual World - Official Lyric Video

carlwm likes this.
  4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

5. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

If I were him, I wouldn't give Nash the satisfaction.

To crap all over Cruz like that (to plug an album) and then to pretty much walk it back right after...his stock fell quite a bit for me (dumping his wife didn't help). I'm sure it bothers him tremendously.

6. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Stills’ playing on the Collins album is great. He plays in styles not much heard since the early seventies. “Judy” is great. We haven’t that Stills on record since 1975. His playing on “Everybody Knows” recalls his playing on Long May You Run. “Girl From North Country” features the same playing as on the early solo albums.

I don’t think he’s lost much, if any, ability as a guitarist.

Of course, there aren’t any new songs, and Stills’ voice is very limited.

Sadly, I’m beyond hoping for greatness from Stills. Getting things like “Don’t Want No Lies”, “Only Teardrops Fall”, and “Virtual World” in recent years were unexpected surprises. Those are pretty good post-1977 Stills songs.

MMan1, carlwm, Jarleboy and 6 others like this.
  7. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Exactly what "Wasted On the Way" is about. Nash introduced the song solo a few years ago with the lament, "we should've made so much more music."

RogerB and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Well as for me, I'll take a "pie-in-the-sky hippie turned yacht rocker", who talks about love and music and brotherhood any day, over a dysfunctional egotistic drug addict that seems to have made everyone in his life's lives hell a dozen times over, over the last forty years.

RudolphS likes this.
  9. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I don’t believe this characterizes Croz from the last 20 years, at least since his transplant. Sure, he seems to have a tendency to shoot his mouth off about his ex-bandmates, but they all seem to say pretty b*tchy things about each other from time to time.

They should try out one last album—I’m sure Young and Croz could contribute handfuls of songs to it on their own. Not much time left that they’ll be able to realistically do it either at their ages.

MMan1, Grow Fins and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

They aren't worth $4mil. Even $2mil is pushing it unless the event has an extreme exclusive angle to it.

11. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

[​IMG]

ARK, PhilBorder, Humbuster and 4 others like this.
  12. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Me also let’s do it!

13. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

How far back are we going, 1969?

Personally, I feel like they’ve all made their music statements, including lots of timeless tunes. Good enough for me. What’s the purpose of begging for a reunion every decade since 1974? If it happens, cool, if not then that’s alright, too. They don’t owe us anything, especially not the hardship of looking past 45 years of interpersonal conflict so that fans can get ‘one last, perfect album or tour’

Musician95616 likes this.
  14. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I saw the Stills/Judy Collins show. Stills voice is obviously not what it once was, but it's not unlistenable. I thought it was a very worthwhile show.

15. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the recent interview where Croz was asked something like what do you see yourself doing in five years and he answered I'm not going to be here. The interviewer tried to push a little, but that was all he was going to get. If that is the case then all of Croz statements and activities over the last few years makes a lot of sense.

BTW this is pretty cool!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  16. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Awesome chat with Croz about his most recent album tracks and where he is now.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  17. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

David seems to be hinting about health issues the last several times I’ve heard him interviewed. It seems he knows something and is not telling or is just reflecting on his age and past health problems and thinking time is short. As a transplant recipient he was done remarkably well.

Crosby has always been outspoken and blunt, sometimes to a great degree. As he’s gotten older he’s been more apt to say exactly on his mind, regardless of the outcome.

He does seem very introspective lately. Maybe he wants to mend some bridges and not have as many regrets in the end.

ARK, Grow Fins and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

He's gone 25 years with his liver transplant. That's much longer than predicted isn't it ?

Matthew Tate and Chrome_Head like this.
  19. Adrian Adkins

Adrian Adkins Forum Resident

Yes would be Great if these fellows did maybe a short tour of North America as some sort of an encore ,I live in Australia so ill not get to witness such an event anyway , What Id like are lots more Archive releases from CSN&Y from 1969 - 1977 or there abouts when they were at there best.

20. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

:laugh::righton:

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

And, hearing problems can really screw things up, in more ways than one.

22. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

Yeah, Nugent would be a problem for Crosby and Nash but Hillman can't play guitar like Neil Young.

seed_drill likes this.
  23. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

:laugh:

[​IMG]

24. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Not sure about that all the way. Stills could probably survive a nuclear strike.

Matthew Tate and Humbuster like this.
  25. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I work with a lot of transplant patients and David's case is a wild success - considering the damage he did to himself, his age, the rigors of his lifestyle (meaning the touring et al all these years) and the very real challenges of living with a transplant David has done remarkably well.

When my wife and I saw him live several months ago, he looked about as healthy and full of vigor as he could be. He certainly wasn't sick then (it is pretty visually obvious when someone is having complications post transplant most of the time).

But, he may know something we don't and it would be very, very unusual for someone his age to be approved for a second transplant should he need one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.