David L. Lander - Spinal Tap?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tdcrjeff, May 4, 2023.

1. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member Thread Starter

Anybody know if David L. Lander was ever considered for a role in "This Is Spinal Tap" or why he might not have been? Given his history with Michael McKean both acting and musically, as well as Christopher Guest, it seems like he would have naturally been included. Guest played guitar on the "Lenny and the Squigtones" record, credited as Nigel Tufnel. He also worked with Harry Shearer (and McKean) for years in the Credibility Gap.

Saw a 1978 episode of Laverne and Shirley the other day that included both Christopher Guest and Harry Shearer as guests that made me wonder about this.

[​IMG]

Laverne & Shirley episode S3E18 "Bus Stop." Harry Shearer is a reporter covering a 1960 political rally (Nixon vs. JFK) and Christopher Guest plays one of two medical students L&S meet at the rally and then take the bus to Kenosha for in order to have a double date.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    905, Jimmy B., Wil1972 and 1 other person like this.
  2. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Best Guess: By 1984, I imagine Michael McKean wanted to move as far away from Laverne & Shirley as possible. Having David in the cast might have caused people to point at the screen and say, "Hey, look! It's Squiggy!" and take them right out of the film.

Scowl, intv7 and Mister Charlie like this.
  3. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Whereas instead we all just said “Hey, look! It’s Lenny, of Lenny and Squiggy!” (I know I did…)

majorlance likes this.
  4. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member Thread Starter

Maybe, but he was not long removed from L&S. While not a regular cast member in the final L&S season, McKean was still guesting into 1983. Released in March 1984, Spinal Tap was no doubt filmed in 1983.

5. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

David Lander was diagnosed with MS back in 1984, so while he wouldn't have known that in '83 I would assume he was already experiencing symptoms of it and probably felt he needed some time off after L&S. Pure speculation of course but seems fairly plausible to me...

905 and intv7 like this.
  6. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

I think “Big Bottom” needed a bassoon player.

905 likes this.