David Sylvian - First 4 solo albums Vinyl reissues & Rain Tree Crow! - Feb/March 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by englishbob, Dec 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

Tomorrow then, RTC

Liking the new art colour ?? :sigh: Lets just hope the cut is up to scratch

ORIGINAL
    [​IMG]

NEW
    [​IMG]

NEW BACK
    [​IMG]

2. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

the new "hazy coating" on the original cover pic (actually already used for the 2003/06 CD remasters - but now with the original smaller font reinstated) does a good job conveying the atmosphere of the record imo, although I'll always be partial to my original and don't intend to go for this reissue.
    it's a shame Universal didn't want a gatefold (just as they didn't with Alchemy, these being the poorer sellers out of Sylvian's catalogue).

the Japan Nightporter page on Facebook has nice comparison pics for all the sleeves, original and reissue: JAPAN Nightporter - Collecting, news, insight, fan events.

englishbob likes this.
  3. paletro

paletro Forum Resident

I really enjoy Japan's second album. Hope it will be reissued someday.

4. englishbob

Obscure Alternatives? That's been done already

5. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

6. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Thank you for this! The David Bowie one was great, so it's cool to see the same treatment given to Japan.

humanracer likes this.
  7. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

The issue I have with remasters in general apart from the obvious loudness issue is that all the sounds seem to go to the foreground. Sounds that were buried in the mix in the original. People say "oh I hear details I never heard before". Well maybe you were not meant to hear them. All subtlety is gone.
    I am the opposite of your friend. I always went for remasters but started to get tired of the music. Then when I went to the originals I realised what I was missing. Nice music that doesn't "Hit you in the face". It probably depends on how and why you listen and also personal state. I always listen with headphones, never on any kind of stereo. And I rarely turn the volume up. I don't like loud music.
    Sometimes you have to choose the lesser of two evils between a muddy early CD and a compressed remaster but I would say the original Beehive sounds pretty good. A classic CD.

8. humanracer

Where is the Bowie one?

9. humanracer

That Quiet Life remaster is really good. Great dynamic range for a 2004 remaster, others should take note.

Max Florian likes this.
  10. Kym

Kym Former Resident

11. paletro

paletro Forum Resident

Not on vinyl, I think.

12. englishbob

13. paletro

paletro Forum Resident

True ! The MOV 2013 double album. Too expensive today.

14. englishbob

I'd suggest buying a mint Japanese pressing from eBay to be honest, there are plenty of them around. It would even cost less AND sound better than a brand new MOV copy if they where available.

If you have a real desire for the MOV version, there is a page on their website where you can request a release. I did this a few years back asking them to put the Yello albums they'd released previously back into production. About 3-4 months later they where back. I've no idea if this made the difference or not, but worth a shot.

15. Paul Rymer

The MOV release has poorly scanned artwork and the incorrect, edited intro to the title track. Go for a UK original (Pye pressing) or Japanese.

englishbob likes this.
  16. Paul Rymer

Back to Rain Tree Crow. The inner sleeve photo of a derelict building may seem strange but it is one that was included in the original Japanese deluxe CD package.

Max Florian likes this.
  17. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

Whereas the reddish aerial desert landscape pic (also with the credits superimposed) didn’t feature in any other editions beside the original LP one - wasn’t replicated for the original CD either.

I liked it because I thought then it went very well with the music - which was very “red earthy” - but also because in my mind it traced a link to the aerial scene in Wim Wenders’ “Until the End of the World” movie, which came out in the same year.

18. paletro

paletro Forum Resident

The hi-fi counts a lot. My remastered edition always used to play fine on my poor, then my good system. Now that my hi-fi is much better, old Cds often sound very good. An example : the old Spoon Cds of CAN sound hundred times better than the remastered ones.

Max Florian likes this.
  19. englishbob

Despite ordering RTC from Amazon the first day the pre-order went up, Amazon don't seem to have it, or just not yet. So can't yet comment on what it sounds or looks like. Arriving Tuesday, apparently

20. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Mine arrived ok today, with Marvin Gaye also. Not played yet.

21. giumag

giumag Forum Resident

I happen to think the same.
    Most remasters do sound louder and brighter, but the listening phase can be annoying after a little time.
    Remasters' brightness may give you more details and precision, but - as you said - all subtlety gets sacrificed. one can't have it all I guess.

dougotte likes this.
  22. englishbob

Amazon clearly mugged me off then!
    [​IMG]

23. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Me too; ordered 19th Jan and due for Monday delivery. No idea why it’s not delivered on release day as others have been, or at worst (as it’s with Prime ) delivered tomorrow .

englishbob likes this.
  24. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

Yes, one can have everything, as proved by the 2004 remaster of Quiet Life and/or the 2003 remaster of Secrets of the Beehive.

25. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

In the end mine arrived this morning!:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.