Dawn Of The Dead (2004)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JohnG, Jan 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS! Thread Starter

I just found out that a re-make of the horror classic Dawn Of The Dead will be coming out later this year.

This time the zombies are able to move faster than the traditional zombies of the 70's (guess 28 Days Later has started a trend for zombies).

Starring Sarah Polley and Ving Rhames, the movie trailer looks pretty good.

I love zombie movies so this is one I won't miss.

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=trailer&id=1808473170&intl=us

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

How terribly unnecessary.

3. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I know there must be an exception that proves the rule, so can anyone name three remakes that were worth seeing? I can't think of one. Dawn is classic Romero. I agree, why not just see the original again? Nobody does it better.

4. JohnG

yeah, I was shocked when I found out that a remake had been made just like when I saw the remake of Night Of The Living Dead which ain't bad btw.

but the whole zombie scenerio is intriguing to me and I'm sure I will see it at a bargain matinee when it comes out...by myself...the wife don't like scary flicks :D

5. RDK

RDK Active Member

I actually worked on this and am very excited about it. Can't say much about it publicly, but I liked the script quite a bit and think it will be a pretty terrific film. I've always thought of it as less of a horror/zombie film (though it's got plenty of zombies in it) and more of a post-apocalyptic survival thriller. Haven't seen a full cut of it yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.

6. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

Well the jaded answer would be they don't want you to see the original when they can release a new one and make new money on it. There are plenty of 25 year old and younger viewers who have never seen the original or know anything about it. I would think that is there target audience and they want to make a buck.

7. JohnG

The first one was one of the scariest movies I have ever seen at a theater.

I can remember at the start of the movie there is a scene inside an apartment complex where the dead are beginning to walk. At the first attack where someone's neck gets bitten into a guy in front of me jumped up in his chair and then ran out of the theater....then other people followed.
    At that point I was thinking maybe this might be too much for me also (I was 17) but I stuck it out and the movie does get lighter in tone from their on.

But I have never seen a reaction like that since. :D

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Hi, Ray. What exactly does a motion picture story analyst do? Thanks.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Looks like fun! The original was scary enough, this would looks like it will give it a good try to scare your pants off!

Count me in.

10. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

It doesn't look bad... I like the trailer.

They've got a different trailer here & in several different resolutions.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/

11. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

This looks promising, but I was disappointed with 28 days later. I'm a sucker for a zombie flick also.

What about Evil Dead 2? That was a great sequel!!:thumbsup:

12. duse

duse Senior Member

Evil Dead2 wasn't so much a sequel, as the same movie with a bigger budget. Why in the world would Bruce GO BACK to the cabin?!!??

On another forum, it was discussed that there will be a re-release of Dawn of the Dead as a 2 disc set, as well as as much as a 5 disc set, I believe. I saw the cover for the 2 disc set, and it will be mixed to DTS. I guess we'll really be able to hear the background music played in the mall when they're walking around. I think that is part of the draw of the original, it's not too polished. I probably will end up buying it anyway (the dvd, not the new movie.) As far as Hollywood recreating it, as jaded as it sounds, I'm not buying it. Look at what happened with Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I mean, how long will it be before they do another Jaws? Will the shark be in CG? They're trying to perfect something that is already perfected, even if it is flawed somewhat.

13. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I said remake, not sequel. There have been some great sequels; Godfather Part II is arguably better than Godfather, although both are among the best movies ever. Second, Dawn of the Dead is itself a sequel and again one of the best; and, like Evil Dead, done by the same director. Is Romero directing the new Dawn? I haven't paid attention. If so, it might be a reason to check it out. But I still don't think much of remakes.

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The original was/is one of the greatest horror movies ever, one I still watch from time to time.

A sequel? Totally unnecessary, but I'll probably check it out. And you know what? It won't be anywhere as good as the original, but probably a whole lot more gore without nearly as much story.

Evan

15. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

One of the best parts about the original film was the social satire in the film. These weren't just mindless horror films. The idea that we as species have become so consumerist in our evolution is what makes the original film so great. There is also the concept of greed being the cause of man's downfall in the original. Hopefully the remake preserves these concepts,otherwise it'll be just another zombie movie.

Look at the remake of Night of the Living Dead. It's horrible. Everything that made the original great was stripped away and you were left with a mediocre horror flick. I hope Dawn is better. I will say that the trailers look good.

Sean

16. JohnG

March 19th is the date!!

17. pasta

pasta New Member

great, the completely useless remake syndrome continues in all forms of entertainment....when will people get a clue? i assume there will be a hip hop soundtrack and lots of cutesy teen celebs? cripes.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

He doesn't. The sequel is supposed to begin right after the ending of the first movie - he never left. (Yes, the movie presents this poorly and is very confusing - it doesn't help that the "ED2" DVD states that Ash returns, but that's wrong...)

19. RDK

RDK Active Member

Thought you'd like to see the new poster...

Attached Files:

20. duse

duse Senior Member

Pretty much everything I have read states that he returns, because he's only with his girlfriend this time. This is a pretty cool link, with audio.

http://www.thefleshfarm.com/evildead2.html

21. JohnG

I was just watching "Day Of The Dead" and if a movie needs a remake its this one. Just terrible, easily one of the worst films of all-time.

After the great "Night Of" and the classic "Dawn Of", "Day Of The Dead" is a complete let down. Its like they ran out of money and shot the thing in a basement.

A do-over of "Day Of" is needed.

22. JohnG

I forgot to add the only redeeming quality to Day Of The Dead is Tom Savini's great makeup work.

Some of the blood and guts shots are superb. The best part of the film.

Apparently according to the documentry attched to the SE, the budget for "Day" was severely cut and many sequences had to be cut from the script. All that seems to be left for the budget was the great effects.

Hopefully someday that original script can be redone and a better Day Of The Dead can get released.

23. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I agree. Day is the weakest of the three. I think Night and Dawn are masterpieces. I wish that Dawn was currently in print on DVD.

Sean

24. JohnG

Dawn Of The Dead is getting re-released on DVD this Tuesday.

Apparently the new print on this DVD is great ($14.99 at BB).

But an even larger Dawn Of The Dead box set with 3 dvds is slated to come out in the Fall.

The trailers for the new Dawn Of The Dead movie look pretty good on TV this week. I can't wait for March 19th!!

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I only hope that the remake keeps my all-time favorite line of dialog from the original Dawn of the Dead. They are talking about Spam, and one of the characters says "Don't knock it. It's got its own key." I always thought that the makers of Spam should have made that a marketing catch-phrase.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.