Dead To Me

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Girlpower, May 16, 2019.

1. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Christina Applegate's constant state of rage is darkly amusing. She does that well.

George P and Girlpower like this.
  2. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Very good show. Thought it would be a "chick" show after my wife suggested it but it's excellent. Hoping for a second season.

3. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

I am three episodes in, so far.
    The two female leads are fairly well written (and both Applegate and Cardellini play it well); the male characters seem like more of the same smug boneheads you see on network shows.
    It is interesting how deeply personal the show gets (Applegate is also one of the producers.) It includes references to Applegate's mastectomies and to the injury that ended her idea of becoming a dancer.
    The show has enough moments to keep you watching, but they should can the fake "reveals" when it seems like Cardellini's character is about to give up secrets...it's cheap writing, way too easy to do, and it lowers the overall standard of the show.

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This is definitely not a bad thing.

I also loved Linda Cardellini in Bloodline.
    I enjoyed this and can't wait for season 2.

Girlpower and GodShifter like this.
  5. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

This surprised me with the depth of performance from Applegate, and the intreging storyline. Since completing it, I have been recommending it to friends as I thought it is one of the best shows on Netflix at the moment.

Scowl, Leviethan, Dan C and 2 others like this.
  6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Need to check this out.

7. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I really enjoyed all the episodes, but the last one - why resort to the stupid and tired "white
    -men-bad-and-must-die" stereotype again ? Did really annoy me out of the show and it was great viewing until that point .....

8. Girlpower

Girlpower Senior Member Thread Starter

:yikes: spoiler alert.

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

My wife and I are in love with this show, we've blazed through I think half the episodes over the past couple of days.

So many great things, from production to writing as well as the cast.

Cardellini has proven herself as a terrific actress time and again, especially for her role in one of the more devastating 'Mad Men' plot lines. However, it's Applegate who is really blowing me away here.

A seamless combination of snark, sarcasm, simmering rage and despair. Her comic chops are better than ever too, no one in the biz gives a better deadpan reaction. It's an Emmy worthy performance.

dan c

George P, musicarus, chacha and 3 others like this.
  10. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I was thinking the same thing.

chacha likes this.
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, and did anyone notice a scene where her character reveals that she had a double mastectomy? Apparently, Christina herself suggested adding that line to add a touch of vulnerability to her character. It's significant because in real life, she had the procedure performed due to breast cancer, but it was delivered in a way that didn't feel like a PSA. Most people that didn't know her personal background would probably not have given the plot reveal a second thought.

chacha, Scotian and GodShifter like this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I noticed it. She also mentions about wanting to be a dancer and that not working out. That’s another real detail from her life that’s woven into her character’s past story.

chacha and Deesky like this.
  13. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

I was aware of her medical history and that made that scene even more remarkable and convincing.

chacha likes this.
  14. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I think this is a great show because of Applegate and Cardellini. Their chemistry is what makes it and I'm not sure another pair of actors could do as well.

chacha and Dan C like this.
  15. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Same here. She was wonderful, as was Cardellini, and I hope it gets renewed because with that ending it could go in a number of very satisfying directions.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agree they had great chemistry and it's a big part of what made the show. However, I can think of several other actors that could work equally well, including: Reese Witherspoon, Shailene Woodley, Rhea Seehorn, Nicole Kidman, Elisabeth Mos, Julia Roberts, Julianne Moore. There are so many great female character actors around now.

GodShifter likes this.
  17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

A few colleagues have discussed this program, though haven't found time yet to see it.

18. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I’m coming to this show late and really enjoying it. About 5 episodes in so far. Applegate is just terrific- a really skilled comic actor. I never watched Married w Children because it seemed so dumb. How was she when she was young? I first became a fan a few years ago when I saw her on some NBC comedy I can’t remember the name of with Maya Rudolph. Was good at first then they kept retooling it and it sank. But Christina was great.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

She was basically written as a sexy, superficial, blond pretty young thing. As she's gotten older, Hollywoo couldn't place her in those kinds of roles anymore and in the process discovered how good an actor she really is.

chacha likes this.
  21. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I binged and am now gutted there's no episodes to move on to. That said, I'm not sure a second series needs to be made. The ending was great and could have been a legendary full stop.

Dan C and chacha like this.
  22. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Applegate was marvellous in 'Grand Theft Parsons'.

Mt.Elga likes this.
  23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I’m watching it again and thoroughly enjoying picking up on all the little stuff.

Andy Smith likes this.
  24. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

It's hilarious! It's dark but it's really good.

George P, Girlpower and chacha like this.
  25. violarules

violarules Senior Member

That NBC show was called "Up All Night". We enjoyed it. Applegate, Will Arnett, and Maya Rudolph were a great combo. Sad it didn't get better ratings.

chacha likes this.