Deadwood Coming back!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mazzy, Aug 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Too bad ‘Santa Clarita Diet’ sucked so hard.

Whoops

GentleSenator likes this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Been watching the Marathon all day.

3. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been answered before: I didn't see the show, can I watch the movie or is it reserved only to people familiar with the story ???
    Thanks !!!

4. california_roll

california_roll Memento Mori

I find it likely you'll enjoy it far more if you're wholly familiar with its premise.

Dave Hoos and GodShifter like this.
  5. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Strenuously recommend watching the whole show. It's good for you. Then you can have the movie for dessert.

6. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

Ok, thanks for the answers !

7. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Tonight"s the Night!

Captain Groovy likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Report back with a yay or but no spoilers.

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I wouldn't watch the movie without seeing all three seasons first, there's far too much back story.

Dave Hoos and GodShifter like this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Cautiously optimistic and excited about this.

GentleSenator and Deuce66 like this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Same here, it's like reuniting the band 15 years later hoping there's some magic left.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

maybe after this he can be elevated to some top tier projects. ones that don't involve video game plots or drew barrymore as a co-star

GodShifter likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think he's a great actor. I've liked him in almost everything I've seen him in. "Justified" was good for example. I just did not like "Santa Clarita Diet" at all.

Humbuster and GentleSenator like this.
  14. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I'd watch it, and you could probably sense the gravity of the characters and plot. It might make the old series better.

I saw the whole series many years ago, so I'm re-watching to refresh my memory. I'm barely in Season 3 now, but I'm not going to wait.

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’m a bit worried about this thinking more about it. Two hours seems awfully short to give us anything really worthwhile. Why couldn’t they have done one more limited series? The sets are intact (I forget the show that uses them, but they’ve never been torn down). All these actors could do it. That said, I’ll take what I can get.

This series deserved a more conclusive ending. Maybe we get it here or maybe not.

16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'll be watching shortly, so let's see if we agree on whether or not this does the trick.

17. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I think the fans of the show will like the movie. It felt like a 2 hour episode, but it did give finality to some of the characters.

GentleSenator and trd like this.
  18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Agreed. Was a nice, sad ending. I want more, of course, but am ready to move on.

trd likes this.
  19. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

I just finished binge watching the series for the first time a couple weeks ago. While it is a wonderful movie, I quite liked how the series originally ended. Maybe because I only had to wait a week instead of a decade, the movie felt far more bittersweet and depressing than satisfying overall.

20. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

After watching the movie directly after having watched a few episodes, I'm afraid it really suffered by comparison. It was great seeing the cast again, although they felt 'rusty'. I think I enjoyed the 'individual moments' as opposed to the movie as a whole. Biggest surprise (and frankly disappointing) aspect was the handling of Al Sweringen.

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

They really strayed with Al. History places the death of the real Al in 1904, 15 years before his (presumed) demise here. I suppose Milch really wanted to give us as much closure as possible.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  22. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

While I enjoyed the movie very much, several characters just seemed "off " to me - like the actors couldn't find their original vibe. These were mainly Bulloch, Stubbs and Utter. Utter especially didn't display his very obvious mannerisms when dispensing dialog, and Callie's performance felt almost "phoned in." As one of my favorite characters in the series, this was disappointing.

For Bulloch, I think the differences can be somewhat explained - something that Al does when he asks him, "where have you been?" at one point later in the movie. Bulloch has had ten years of marriage and family, and it clearly agrees with him. He's a different man than the high-strung, anger-barely-under-wraps version that we know in the series. It isn't until the sh!t hits the fan with Hearst that we see the Bulloch we remember, hence Al's observation.

From that standpoint, I can give the differences in Olyphant's performance a pass, as it fits with his character's obvious progression.

Anyway, "not perfect" Deadwood is infinitely better than no Deadwood, so I'm very happy to have this movie to put an endcap on the series. You can never go back, but you can sometimes get a pretty close approximation, which I feel we've gotten here.

Dave Hoos, Yankeefan01 and sberger like this.
  23. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I was very satisfied with the movie and enjoyed seeing all of these characters once again. By using South Dakota’s statehood, Milch found a legitimate reason for having the characters all back in Deadwood, a good foundation for the events to come. One could argue that the cycle of violence that so quickly comes to pass in that short time is a tad far fetched, but with Hearst the catalyst it was true to the character who’s evil we had come to know and despise all too well.

I’m grateful for HBO having given us the chance to view a real ending of one of the best series ever produced. Having learned that David Milch had already begun suffering from Alzheimer’s disease while writing it makes it all the more bittersweet, just so glad this man who’s one of television’s very best writers had the opportunity for closing out the story his way before it was too late.

Kudos to the cast and crew, it was a great pleasure to return to Deadwood once again.

Dave Hoos, x2zero, btltez and 10 others like this.
  24. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

As a big fan of the show I thought the movie was really,really good.

btltez, Captain Groovy and sberger like this.
  25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

hmm, was it perfect? nope! was it gripping? maybe a little. could it have been another full season? definitely.

i'm glad we got this. people complain about fan service (myself included) but this was an example of where the entire premise was basically fan service. and it served its purpose in giving us the closure we never got when the series was abruptly canceled.

damn i miss richardson though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.