Dean Martin Roasts

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JonUrban, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

Anyone here see the infomercial for the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts and order them? They are allegedly available on DVD, but I checked their website and they don't mention it.

The infomercial shows some great clips of people I watched as I was growing up. Unfortunately, they seem to be only available on a "subscription" basis. I suppose that is OK, but I prefer to just buy them on demand.

Anyway, I know there are a lot of "Classic TV" fans here, including Steve, and wondered if anyone has tried them and what they thought, quality-wise.

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The quality of the VHS tapes sucks. The video is awful and the audio goes from objectionable to horrific. Still... they're funny as hell (even if it's canned laughter and there's no audience) and Foster Brooks is always a highlight for me.

Linus likes this.
  3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Looks like they're doing the same with Dino's old variety show as well. I saw an infomercial for a series of compilation tapes over the weekend. No DVD apparently at this point.

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

There *was* an audience there, although there's no doubt the audio was sweetened with canned laughter. These are great, though the VHS tapes suck. A great memory from childhood for me!

5. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

The infomercial video looks pretty clean. I guess I will order the DVDs and see what happens. I'll let you know.

6. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

$250 seems extreme to me....

Maybe Netflix will offer it...

8. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

Damn, I was at a flea market years ago and someone had a whole table full of boxes of sealed 3-pack VHS copies of these various roasts. Price? $1 each for a 3 tape set. I grabbed like 10 of them...

I'm sure a lot of people of the generation before mine would love to see these shows again but I don't know anybody these days in that age bracket (or my own, frankly) who has $250 to drop on something like this. That's a lot of scratch for something that's admittedly cool but also has a pretty low replay value.

jsayers likes this.
  9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I picked up at Costco today a 15 episode, seven disc set called Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts, which is probably plenty for most people. At $27.99, a great alternative to the $250 version. A nice book accompanies it. Includes roasts of Johnny Carson, Lucille Ball, Don Rickles, Jimmy Stewart, Bob Hope, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jack Benny, Michael Landon, Jackie Gleason, Carroll O Connor and a lot of interesting guests including John Wayne, George Burns, Art Carney, Bette Davis, Audrey Meadows, and lots more. Will watch one tonight!

10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I'd like to see these but yeah, $250 is waaay too steep. I wish MeTV or a similar channel would air them, that would be ideal.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Amazon-Walmart where are you?!:laugh:

jsayers likes this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I watched my first episode on the DVD I mentioned above. Great quality video for how old it is. Fun to see all those actors but the women seemed to only be allowed a couple jokes and then back to their seat. Vivian Vance was there for Lucy and she only said a couple jokes, which were great ("I bet you don't even remember me") she said to Lucy! Appeared Dean got drinker as the show progressed as his speech began to slur as it went on. I think this is definitely worth having, but I wouldn't be able to watch these in any kind of marathon dosage! A little goes a ways, but an episode at a time is about right. I can't imagine buying the $250 set and then sitting through that, but it seems beautifully packaged!

13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

For those who may not be aware (or care), the Decades Channel is running a marathon of these today.

Daniel Plainview and maclen like this.
  14. maclen

maclen Senior Member

I was watching these the other morning on Decades. The star power is amazing but it’s hard to get by the dubbed in crowd applause ( why all the whistling? ) and the phony reaction shots. I’d love to see these without all that. Impossible I know.

Shawn and MLutthans like this.
  15. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

Dang, I wish I had Decades...

16. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

I watched quite a bit of the Decades marathon a few weekends ago. Today I think I was able to record most of the episodes I missed.
    Much easier getting used to phony applause.

17. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

Have you tried the over the air channel out of Bangor?
    Where to watch

18. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

I'm way out of range for WABI, alas, and almost none of the diginets are available OTT. Also, most of the affiliates that carried Decades dropped it for Start TV, a joint venture between CBS and Weigel.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Watched a couple roasts on the Decade today.

Loved em.

20. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

I am old enough to remember watching them back in the day. All those 'stars" at one time for the most part. Rickles was great. And Dean Martin.

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Dean's "bio " (alternately loved and hated here) really pulls the curtain back on those. Not surprising.

22. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Dino, kept it lighthearted and fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.