DCC Archive Decade Of Steely Dan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doug Hess Jr., Sep 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member Thread Starter

Hey all...is it my imagination or did the Decade of Steely Dan CD change from it's original release. I recall owning an original copy and stupidly selling it. One of the songs had some clicking and since this was supposed to be from the original first generation two-track master tape, it was explained as being a glitch in the actual tape. Now the newer releases and the gold one don't have the clicks or the note. What happened?

GyroT likes this.
  2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

What song were the clicks on? I sold my original CD as well and replaced it with the MCA Gold disc.

Actually, Roger Nichols transferred the analog tapes to digital in the early 80's, and the CD you mention came from the 16-bit digital copies.

For the very latest Steely Dan CDs I understand he went all the way back to the original first generation analog mixdown tapes.

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: Grant T. ]

3. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't remember which song it was. It was towards the end...maybe "My Old School".
    I got the gold one as well and I really like it. When you say the latest, do you mean the boxed set or new standard aluminum versions that cost $10 in the store?

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I mean the VERY last aluminum ones with the endless notes by Becker and Fagen that sell for about $10. They are the best! In fact, the newest MCA CD of "Aja" sounds EXACTLY like my original ABC Records pressing. The box is good too, but many people feel it is a bit too bright, as are all of the MCA gold CD's.

For my ears, the latest regular MCA CD's sound *right*. The older ones are too dull and have smeared transients.

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: Grant T. ]

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'm glad someone said something good about the new Steely's. Only one I got to experience was Goucho so far, only to loan the disc. I was pleased with the sound. Also, I have the "Can't Buy A Thrill" 20-Bit Japanese issue. Yes, the new Steely Dans are the biggest improvement, although by habbit, I do listen to the ABC/MCA vinyl except Goucho, as it sounds a 1/2 tone too fast, and I can hear it immediately. I agree about the box set sound to these issues as well. Steely Dan discs must have seen 4-6 facelifts so far.

Again, I usually listen to the vinyl because of how I'm used to the sound. The new upgrade CDs are worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.