Decware Zen Triode amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by David Sonnier, May 14, 2021.

1. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Yes, I ran a pre with both amps, the Zen and Classe.

2. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

Interesting - what was the output voltage of the pre if you don’t mind me asking? I’m running Cornwalls with 1.6v output from my preamp and it’s extremely loud and dynamic even at only 40-50% power from the Zen Triode in a very large room. Can’t imagine ever turning it up beyond 75%… albeit the Cornwalls are a bit more efficient than Fortes.

3. Trag

Trag Forum Resident

Yeah this is somewhat concerning. I’m running Forte IVs and on the list for the UFO25 + CSP325. I’m regularly listening at 65db, sometimes at 75, and based on everything I’d read I was confident this would be sufficient

4. C10

C10 eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die

How loud in dB are you listening and how far away are you? How big in feet is the room?

5. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Don’t fret too much. I’d encourage you to try out your speakers with a low watt tube amp since the waitlist is so long just to make sure you are satisfied, but room, listening preferences, etc etc all greatly influence your experience vs someone else’s.

Trag likes this.
  6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

For me, my 3.9.Watt Decware Mini-Torii is just barely sufficient. Don't get me wrong, I love the amp, but it just barely gets by with my Altec's. Even then, I need to be in my more relaxed mode...

Very few people own speakers in the 100 dB sensitivity range.

7. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

I listen in a multi purpose open concept room, 25 feet wide by 20 feet or so and I’d say I listen approx 10 feet away from the speakers. Normal listening volumes for me would be somewhere between 70-80DB.

C10 likes this.
  8. C10

Thanks for answering and sorry for piecemealing my questions. I should have been clearer.

When you say at 40%-50% it is extremely loud, how loud is it?

9. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

No problem at all, just did a double check now (much to the chagrin of my two sleeping kids lol) - with the Decware at approx 50% of the knob turn the volume averages around 80 DB according to the app on my phone, to me any louder than this and it begins to be uncomfortable. Extremely loud is probably not the right description as that is relative to each different listener. I’m normally listening around 70-75DB which is around 40-45% and to me this is still loud enough to really enjoy the music but sometimes I do wish to crank it and 50% gets that done.

Lonson and C10 like this.
  10. C10

Thanks!

11. seikosha

seikosha Forum Resident

Yeah, one would need a lot of power for a room like that with those listening conditions. I’m surprised that the little Zen was as good as it was in that room.

12. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

I'm wondering if perhaps my current 2M Bronze MM Cart might be the reason for the high volume at relatively low power on the Zen Triode? The 2M Bronze is listed at 5 mV output (and apparently can run even hotter than this) and I've got it going through my Icon Audio PS1 which has 72 DB of gain. Edit* cancel that, it's Gain MM 53db MC 72db

Now that the rest of my system is up to snuff, my plan is to begin to experiment with a MC Cart given the PS1 has a step up transformer and MC setting which I am currently not using... I wonder if I make that change if it will require turning the volume up on the Zen Triode to achieve the same DB levels I am getting with the 2M Bronze?

13. C10

You might enjoy this link for some theoretical calculations: KAB PHONO PREAMP PARAMETER COMPUTER

14. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

My Nola Contenders are 90db at 6ohms. My room is 12 X 14. It is room filling, and loud enough for me, with electronica or metal even, but ESPECIALLY with a decent higher-than-average output preamp. My system doesn't run out of bass, or grip, or clip while delivering these satisfying amounts of volume.

Borrow a preamp, and put a Sophia Aqua 274b rectifier in there.

Lonson likes this.
  15. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

Just for S&Gs I was curious to see what sound levels could be achieved at 75% power on the Zen Triode…when no one else was home I cranked it up to 75%… the peaks were around 92-93DB, average around 85DB, and I was concerned the neighbours were going to come knocking on my door lol…

16. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

Just did the same test with some Rush… after resetting the AVG on my phone DB app we have a 90DB average and peaks in excess of 98DB… there’s no way I could ever enjoy music at this level!

Lonson likes this.
  17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Honestly in your shoes I would think you would be fine. I have 92.5 db efficient HR-1 speakers from Decware and I can't turn things up about 75% with my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks.

Trag likes this.
  18. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

I literally had to prop up and attach my phone with the DB meter on the listening chair for second above test lol… no way I was going to get in the line of fire at that level!

Lonson likes this.
  19. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

Should also note I am listening with the input bias switch at the “laid back” setting, if I switch that to the more forward aggressive presentation it increases things a few DB as well.

20. Lonson

Right. I always have listened to the "laid back" setting. Most analog sounding with my digital source.

21. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

I will say I do love that setting as an option though! Such a hard thing to explain… but every time I switch it for a song or two, it’s like the band is descending upon me in my room lol.

22. Lonson

Hey options are good. But I have never left it set at that setting for long . . . except by mistake. ;)

23. Leao

Leao Forum Resident

My Decware Zen Triode is the CKC model which preceded the UFO. It provides absolutely stunning performance with my Omega CAMs with the volume control at about 12 o clock.

JasperYYJ likes this.
  24. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

I wonder if, in some ways, the extremely low wattage is actually an advantage (as opposed to just being a non-factor) for very high efficiency speakers? This is more a question about all very low powered amps rather than just the Zen Triode... but IE. is it more favorable to listen to a 2 watt amplifier at 40-50% power volume versus a higher watt alternative at 10-20% all other things being equal? The other tube amps I've had in my system have always barely had the volume dial turned at all to achieve the necessary sound volume level, and have always seemed a bit less alive at the lower volumes which is alleviated by turning them up to a higher volume (albeit at a level I wouldn't be able to listen at for very long). Does the very low wattage mean the power level can be somewhere in the middle of the amps capabilities when listening at 70-80DB which helps bring the music alive a bit more at this lower volume level?

jgrillo likes this.
  25. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I have switched over to high efficiency speakers and low powered amps and there’s no going back for me

SandAndGlass, JasperYYJ and Leao like this.