Deep Purple <==> Blackmore's Rainbow

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by siebrand, Jan 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siebrand

siebrand music lover Thread Starter

I don't watch many concerts on TV.
    Yes, of course, I have several DVDs (almost always in the "DeLuxe" or "Limited Edition" version or something like that, sold with CD's.
    I also have a few BluRays, mostly to see how my new Yamaha Blu Ray 1060 performs. I am one of those, nostalgic, that listen to music, but to see concerts :shrug: ... BETTER LIVE ... on TV ... in short ...:thumbsdow

OK, having said that ...
    yesterday I got Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow's BR, concert: Memories In Rock Live In Germany from 2016.
    Nice to see, it was not bad. The music either... very nice, I liked it. but...
    But it didn't REALLY capture me ...
    When I finished watching everything on that BR.. I relistened / reviewed Child in Time and Smoke on the water.
    They are done well, it is a good performance. In fact ... the public seems to have greatly appreciated. I wish I had been there too.
    Ronnie Romero is a good singer, but.. HELL! I miss Ronnie Jams Dio !!
    But then ... I put "Made in Japan" in the YAMAHA CD-S3000, some glorious deep purple...
    For many years I have not listened to HEAVY, or Metal, or whatever you want to call it.
    The years also pass for me, and I listen more and more to jazz, while pop and rock ... less and less.

However, without wanting to bore you too much. :agree:
    When Made in Japan finished ... I have increased the volume a little more (fortunately, my neighbors love me and endure ...) and played it again.
    Here it is. That is music ... the comparison with the Rainbow BR is simply embarrassing.

I know ... you knew it too, before I wrote it here.
    But I write it anyway. ....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

44 years later...that’s one big difference. It’s also not the same band. The current Deep Purple wouldn’t come close to the 1972 iteration either.

3. siebrand

Yes,
    obviously you're right. I know, I know very well. but ... that's right! Made in japan remains unbeatable ...

jon9091 likes this.
  4. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Deep Purple's Scandinavian Nights is a wicked good concert DVD.

5. old school

old school Senior Member

A better comparison and more fair would be 1976 Deep Purple live vs. 1976 Rainbow live.

6. siebrand

yes, but it would have been impossible.
    the Rainbow of those years did not play the pieces of D. P. ....

7. jon9091

They both played Mistreated, did they not?

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Why in the world would you compare 1972 Deep Purple to 2016 Rainbow? It's ridiculous. Get a copy of Rainbow Live In Munich 1978 and see how that measures up. It's at least in the same decade.

9. dkmonroe

Rainbow also often interpolated "Lazy" into their 70's performances.

10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Not very sporting, is it?

Murph and dkmonroe like this.
  11. siebrand

well ... I took that BR because I like Rainbow. I already have more of them. But I didn't have this live, and I wanted a Blu Ray.
    I just wanted to describe what I feel for this 2016 live. You are right that it is not comparable with the D.P. from 45 years ago.
    In fact ... I didn't make a comparison.
    It's just that after listening to this BR I felt that I needed REAL music. :goodie:

12. dkmonroe

But you're not making a comparison, you just happened to decide that one was better than the other. :biglaugh:

Murph likes this.
  13. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

agreed, apples and oranges, it's not really much of a comparison ... on a side note, Made in Japan happens to be the best hard rock live album ever :cool::D

14. old school

old school Senior Member

You lost me? Why would you try to compare 1972 prime MK. II Deep Purple with 2016 Deep Purple? What did you think one of the greatest live albums in history would compare with 2016 Deep Purple live album? To me none of it makes sense but whatever turns you on.

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. jon9091

More like apples and applesauce. One apple is in both bands....the bad apple. :laugh:

16. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Apples and rotten apples.

jon9091 likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

There is no nostalgia attached to the new bluray.
    When listening to an old album that you used to love, and especially when it is one you haven't spun for a while, there is a huge nostalgia button pushed. No new music, even if it is old songs, can push that button.
    I like the Rainbow bluray well enough, quite a bit actually, but it isn't a top fifty concert bluray for me.

18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Today's Blu ray concerts look and sound fantastic, but are missing that raw talent the boys had in the early 70's.

Reminds me of the Zeppelin Oz concert. Superb sound and picture quality, but Plant can't sing like he used to.

danielbravo and siebrand like this.
  19. Tullhead

Tullhead Forum Resident

Blackmore's playing had changed a lot from 1972 by 1980, and from then on his rock playing style hasn't changed very much. You could compare any live stuff from 1980 onwards with Made in Japan and be disappointed in that regard. Personally I don't think his latest Rainbow lineup is as bad as some people think - it is what it is - a much older guy playing stuff he wrote when he was younger, fitter and hungrier. It wasn't written to be played by an old man! He's doing it because he wants to, and good on him for that.

20. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I thought Ritchie's playing was in exceptionally good form on the Perfect Strangers Live DVD.

dlokazip and danielbravo like this.
  21. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

I love both Rainbow and Deep Purple and they are often very different bands in spite of some obvious overlap.

I'm always happy to see either one live whenever possible.

danielbravo and mark winstanley like this.
  22. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I think it's natural that the performers' spontaneity and "freshness" simply atrophies with age and repetition.

The result is a more formulated, polished and, sadly, predictable performance with less energy; the audiences respond because it's in sync with their own aging. It's a "thing" I've noticed on just about every show I've seen live or recorded by "legacy" acts.

Besides, not knowing their situations, who's to say they're not performing out of financial necessity, while secretly pining for that rocking chair on the porch and a nice cup of tea?

mark winstanley likes this.
  23. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

That really hasn't been my experience with the geezer rock shows I've attended or watched on DVD, outside of Bob Dylan and maybe one or two others. I have usually come away impressed with the energy and performance level.

24. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Tomato, tomahto . . . I see the "energy" as robotic, and the "performance level" as over-polished and a bit too "flawless" to be credible.

'Cept maybe for the Stones; they still seem to crash through everything like a bull in a china shop.

25. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Depends what you're looking for I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.