Deep purple 'In Rock' 50th anniversary (wishful thinking) - What you'd love to have?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi

This years marks the 50th anniversary of one of the landmark moments in rock

Deep Purple - In Rock

Despite being such seminal work, it's only been reissued once. In 1995, with the controversial Peter Mew mastering at Abbey Road.

It included a second CD with studio outtakes and some remixes

So, now that we're approaching to its 50th anniversary, what would you'd love to have?
    Enjoy

[​IMG]

turnersmemo likes this.
  2. zen

zen Senior Member

Purchase this...

[​IMG]

Great read, and a ton of rare photos too.
    https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Purple-...or+The+Ricochet&qid=1581019567&s=books&sr=1-1

This book covers the build up to the album and the widespread chart success. It follows the highs of hit single Black Night, as well as the lows of riots, illness and exhaustion. Generously illustrated throughout, Jon Lord, Roger Glover and Ian Gillan have contributed to the story, as have studio personnel, former managers and others. As Ian Paice recalls: 'Purple should never have worked. Basically we had five egomaniacs. There was just a magical chemistry. I can t think of any other band that's been allowed that much freedom for all the members to do exactly what they wanted.'

Madrid and ponkine like this.
  3. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Previously unreleased live show(s) from same era.

4. ponkine

Live at Essener Pop & Blues Festival 1969

RAZORMADE likes this.
  5. ponkine

Bilzen Jazz Festival, 1969

6. ponkine

Live in Paris 1970

7. ponkine

Doing Their Thing - 1970

Murph likes this.
  8. ponkine

9. Thanks for posting this. I’ll definitely be ordering this.

zen likes this.
  10. ponkine

RAZORMADE and Lonevej like this.
  11. ponkine

Since this album has been beautifully remastered on Audio Fidelity by our host @Steve Hoffman and it won't be overcome by any new remaster, I'd go with this

50th Anniversary Edition:

CD1: 'In Rock' newly mixed in stereo. Studio Outtakes. 'Black Night' single newly mixed in stereo.
    CD2: 'BBC Sessions' 1970. Newly remastered
    CD3: 'In Concert 1970'. Newly remastered
    CD4 & 5: 'Live In Stockholm 1970'. Newly remastered
    CD6: 'Gemini Suite' 1970
    Blu Ray 1: Audio. All the contents from CD1 - 6. Original mix in hi res. 5.1 mixes. 'Kneel & Pray' Live 1969. 'Live in Montreux 1969'. 'Live in Aachen 1970'. All remastered.
    Blu Ray 2: Video. All the available 1969 to 1970 footage, incl. 'Doing Their Thing', Essener Pop & Blues Festival 1969, Bilzen Jazz Festival 1969, Paris 1970, London 1970. 'Hallelujah', 'Speed King' and 'Black Night promos. Band interviews. If exist, the Royal Albert Hall 1969 footage with the band alone performing, just prior 'Concerto For Group and Orchestra'.

[​IMG]

12. Any vintage stuff would be cool, but you can bet we will get a concert recording of the current band doing the album.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  13. ponkine

The remixes could be much improved, no doubt

While I applaud Roger Glover's approach trying to be faithful to the original mixes (way before Steven Wilson), there was ALWAYS an element that put the remix down

In this case, Ian Gillan's vocals.

JulesRules likes this.
  14. ponkine

'Black Night' remix better, but then again, vocals weren't quite right

JulesRules likes this.
  15. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I was really happy to find out Deep Purple had other awesome albums in addition to Made in Japan and Machine Head. I only discovered this album a few years ago so it's nice and fresh and it kicks major tail! I think this surpasses Machine Head.

I don't really have any wants unless they can unleash some new multi-track live recordings from the era.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  16. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It was only a single CD, but there was actually an accompanying "Black Night" single that had some additional versions/remixes not on In Rock itself: Deep Purple - Black Night (Anniversary Edition)

turnersmemo and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. zen

zen Senior Member

Not a safe bet.

JulesRules likes this.
  18. ponkine

19. Adfly7

Adfly7 Nebula 2 Closed Galaxy Bend

Hi, new member here. I would like a In Rock remix in the same manner as the recent Beatles White Album remix. To make it sound just a bit more modern, the original mix is available everywhere anyway. + A unreleased Live gig (audio) + a Blu-Ray with concert footage.

20. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

F--k anything they want to toss out but truly I would like the complete Dallas concert I saw in 1970 w/ Manfred Mann's Earth Band as openers, all of those boys were on fire that night...

Hell I would even get off on a MMEB set from that show!

Oh well que sera sera

JulesRules and Adfly7 like this.
  21. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident

They're back on tour this year and it would certainly make sense to have a bit of an 'In Rock' focus but they haven't played 'Child in Time' for years (those screams are way out of Gillan's range now). Bringing it back with the guitar replicating the high vocal notes could be a possibility though.

zphage likes this.
  22. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Unless there's some good unreleased content, or the album is sonically improved in some way, a 50th release just won't be interesting at all.

As for the current band, let them concentrate in the present. They'll have a new album out soon.

23. The Curator

The Curator Forum Resident

One of my favourite albums. For its time it's astonishingly wild in parts. At this stage the Hammond organ was being given equal prominence to the guitar and its dirty melodics gave them the edge. I still prefer them to Zeppelin and Sabbbath for that reason.

Made In Japan and Come Taste The Band projects showed that Martin Birch's original mixes are tough to beat. I kind of feel that In Rock's sound is part of the album, like it's the sixth instrument. I'm not sure I want a dense, lower mid/upper bottom-heavy mix, which seems to be the modern way. Kevin Shirley's Made in Japan loses the breadth and space of the original.

I'm not sure what else (new material) they have to offer. Unlike Led Zeppelin they've released every half decent live recording. You could perhaps make up a single album disc comprising some of the TV broadcasts but that's pushing it.

Hopefully if they did re-release it they won't omit the organ intro to Speed King as some releases have done!

heepsterandrey and Madrid like this.
  24. ponkine

This

:righton:

25. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

I'd love a 5.1 myself.....

mark winstanley and ponkine like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.