Deep Purple - "Shades of Deep Purple" LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BEAThoven, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

Great points, Raunch. Never thought of it like that. DOH!

2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

How can one tell apart a first UK Parlophone pressing of "Shades" from the second pressing?

3. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I can't recall ever seeing Warner pressings of the Tetragrammon albums,at least not with the same titles and covers.I have a minty German Odeon "Shades" I like very much,as well as the EMI Centenary issue.My Odeon would correspond to a one box Parlophone,and has the YEX 689-1 number on the record in addition to the German number.

There is also a Harvest reissue from 1979 or 1980,I'd buy before I bought a Tetragrammon boot.

4. EasterEverywhere

By the -1 in the dead vinyl after the number.I think first pressings are on the yellow and black labels,and second ones are on the one box label.

Was The Book of Taliesyn issued first on Parlophone or Harvest?My early German press is on a "boxless" Harvest label.

jamesmaya likes this.
  5. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Thanks, then mine's a second pressing (one box label); but the deadwax numbers end in -1 on both sides. Also, the album jacket has the flipbacks.

LitHum05 likes this.
  6. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

The Book of Taliesyn was the first ever Harvest Records release.
    http://rarerecordcollector.net/harvest/

7. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

The USA "WB" pressings of the Tetragrammaton LP's were released as follows:
    "Shades Of" - WS-4516
    "Taliesyn" - WS-4515
    "Deep Purple" - WS-4514

All 3 are listed on the rear sleeve of my Canadian pressing of "24 Carat Purple" and have been verified by "The Highway Star" website. "Taliesyn" has a gatefold sleeve like the UK issue.. I haven't had a chance to see a WB "Shades" on vinyl, but I DID own an early 80's "Deep Purple" on cassette issued by WEA Canada, which had very good sound.

8. EasterEverywhere

I see them listed on The Highway Star,but I have never seen one,at least not as US issues.Pulling up SODP and TBOT on Popsike as Warner issues only shows me just Japanese pressings.Maybe they assigned the albums numbers,but never realeased them in the US.Not looking to buy them,just curious.

9. james1967

james1967 Forum Resident

I actually bought that 2nd hand around 1987 , paid about £3 for it and i still have it.

dbz likes this.
  10. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

You should see the prices now :thumbsup:

11. james1967

james1967 Forum Resident

Well an issue of record collector from Dec 2004(?) mentioned around £70 , just had a look at mine £3.50 , sleeve prob excellent - and don't think its been played to be honest.
    Was going to put a couple of pics up but not sure how from photo bucket.
    Am wondering if EMI had the master tape back for the 1997 "EMI 100" vinyl edition as it says on the sticker "Analogue cutting from analogue tapes"?

12. james1967

james1967 Forum Resident

I'll try to put a couple of pics on from photobucket , not sure if i can remeber how.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dbz likes this.
  13. james1967

james1967 Forum Resident

One or two more pictures of an Indian copy (matrixes YEX 689 - 1 , Side1 and YEX 690 - 1 , side 2)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. james1967

james1967 Forum Resident

And the 1997 EMI Issue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

How does the 1997 EMI 100 LP sound, compared to YEX-689-1 / YEX-690-1 pressings ?

16. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Does anyone have label shots of those WB/Tetragrammon pressings of the first 3 albums? Would love to see those.

Wally Swift likes this.
  17. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

This clears up a mystery for me. I thought I remembered the footsteps and slamming door at the end of "Hey Joe" on the first (borrowed) copy I heard. Later I got the album on cassette, then on vinyl. Neither of them has the footsteps and door at the end, although my vinyl LP is on Tetragrammaton.

18. sathvyre

Today I had the chance to compare the UK first pressing with the Japan Warner Bros first pressing (1977)...and the Japan LP blows the UK Parlophone away...!!! I recognized a dull left channel on the UK LP, whilst the Japan LP sounds well-balanced and very clean. Is it possible that the Japan Warner Bros LP was made from the original Tetragrammaton mastertape ? The UK sounds like a copy...
    I also compared the 1989 Japan CD version with the 1989 EMI UK CD...sure, I like the EQ better on the Japan CD (but in fact they sound very similar in tonality), but if you check the waveforms, the EMI UK CD has a slightly bigger dynamic range. Could it be a proof that the UK was made from the master (or, at least, the lowest-generation copy at the time) ???
    By the way: The 1989 EMI UK CD is definitely not a needledrop...but the outro after "Hey Joe" was dubbed from vinyl and added to the tape. Is it possible that the original tape lacks the outro and it was necessary to use a vinyl source ? On the Japan CD, the outro sounds like taken from a master, not from vinyl.
    This album means so much to me and it would be nice to know all the facts. As I never had the chance to listen to an original Tetragrammaton LP (and I simply don't have any clue to spot a real one), today I decided to buy the Japan 1973 LP. I have an early 70s Odeon Germany LP, but it sounds a bit phasey, so I was looking for a good-sounding version and I think I found a cool one now...unfortunately, the outro is missing there, but I see no other option at the moment. Does the original Tetragrammaton pressing sound better ? Or what about the 1997 EMI 100 all-analogue pressing ? ??? Thank you very much.

zen likes this.
  19. sathvyre

I cancelled my order for the Japan 1st pressing of "Shades Of Deep Purple" after a collector told me that the outro after "Hey Joe" is missing. Is there any other option, especially with the great sound of the Japan LPs, but complete with the steps and door at the end of the album ? I was thinking about a canadian Polydor, but I don't know how it sounds...so I need you help please. As I said earlier, an original Tetragrammaton LP (not mandatory the very 1st pressing, but a pressing made by the original label from the mastertapes) would be a dream, but for me it is simply impossible to spot a real one on ebay, Discogs and Co...

20. sathvyre

And it goes on and on and on...today I listened to two UK pressings. One has YEX 689-1 / YEX 690-1 matrixes, the other has ...-2 matrixes. Botth sound bad, compared to either the 1989 Japan CD or the 1973 / 1977 Japan LPs. I'm still looking for a great-sounding version and created my own digital version so far (I don't like the 2014 remaster), but I want to celebrate one of my favourite end 60s albums from a great vinyl !!! I ordered a VG+ copy of the canadian Polydor and the 1997 EMI 100 LP...two more sources to compare...and still no end in sight.

21. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Ok....ok. Time to separate the men from the boys here. Post your T-131 pics or your soft:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kelhard likes this.
  22. sathvyre

Wrong album in the "Shades..." thread...

23. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Perhaps you should read the thread which addresses DP on Tetragrammaton, not just Shades.

24. sathvyre

I am sure I read the title of the thread and the initial post - and there was "Shades Of Deep Purple" written.
    Personally, I find it kind of disrespectful to ignore all the last questions here and swagger with slightly off-topic pictures instead. Sorry, but this is my opinion.

25. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I found this most interesting since there was a discussion about this (steps, door) being clipped off the Hard Road box set, but no one was able to identify any LP issue that had this clipped off as well. Why would the first Japan LP pressing and the Hard Road box have this trimmed off?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.