Definitive version of Beatles´ Across The Universe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diego Lucas, Nov 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Isn’t the cancelled Yellow Submarine EP mix on Mono Masters unique too?

I haven’t heard the Anthology 2 or White Album 50th versions so I haven’t voted, but I really don’t feel the need to look beyond the LIBN version, which feels complete and fully realised to me, and is a real hairs-on-the-back-of-your-neck track.

Always felt the Apple Scrubs were an act of self-sabotage by John, who was frustrated that something (from his/the band’s perspective) just wasn’t working with this song - it went from Next Single to unwanted stepchild while still in the studio, eclipsed by Lady Madonna.

Funny thing is that I still think the best thing that came out of those Feb 1968 sessions was the off-the-cuff afterthought of Hey Bulldog.

2. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: This was the very first cover of the tune (in case anyone is wondering what it sounds like with George Martin and no one else producing it):

ronbow and xilef regnu like this.
  3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Lennon also said, practically in the next breath, "When I heard it (the Let It Be album) I didn't puke!". High praise:laugh:

applejam101 likes this.
  4. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

They weren't a good idea.

Alexlotl and boggs like this.
  5. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I consider the 'No One's Gonna Change Our World' version the original & 'definitive'. I like all of the versions though. The one on Let it Be is probably my least favorite.

ronbow, Lewisboogie and sixtiesstereo like this.
  6. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

I had a similar experience. I got it as an Xmas gift when it came out (2003?) and remember listening to the album at night on the couch while watching the snow fall outside. I think I was stoned and remember staring at the lights on the Christmas tree during this song and just totally zoning out. Great memory! My favorite version for sure.

Lewisboogie and Parachute Woman like this.
  7. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

The Fiona Apple version.

Just kidding. I absolutely love that cover version, and maybe it's because a Mellotron-esque keyboard plays the melody of the "ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah" backing vocals from the Wildlife version of the song. Over time, I've become so enamored of those backing vocals during the choruses, and only the Wildlife version has them, so that's my pick.

xilef regnu likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Lizzie Bravo and Gayleen Pease would disagree with you. ;)

ronbow and applejam101 like this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Literally every version is on YouTube now. Apple had basically done an about face, and the world is a better place for it. I like the take 6 version - it speeds up and that’s a little disconcerting, but still gorgeous. I like Anthology 2, but my strong recollection is that the version used in the Anthology video is of better sound quality than the CD/vinyl.

I can see the problems with each take. Those lyrics are a mouthful, and Lennon has trouble taking breaths. That said, it’s such a great song, and Lennon was such a great vocalist that any version at the correct speed sounds good to me.

10. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I think this song is overrated by Beatles fans and no version is definitive or even that good. The ones I like best are the Glen Johns second Get Back version and the still unreleased mix done in January with the backwards guitars.

11. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

They did a similar thing on Birthday, getting Maureen Starkey and Yoko to do the high "girl group" harmonies. That idea works pretty well on a fun rocker, but seems very out of place on a meditative and spiritual sounding folk song like "Across the Universe."

My favorite versions are the original charity album version and the Let it Be Naked version. Both of those sound complete and most like where the band was creatively in 1968/White Album era. Both of those recordings could BE added to the White Album without sticking out--the acoustic one from LIBN feels in step with "Julia" and "Mother Nature's Son," and, especially with its animal sound effects and the way the instruments sit in the mix, the charity album version feels a little "dark," and is very White Album to my ears, similar in vibe to "Cry Baby Cry" and "Dear Prudence"...

The Anthology 2 version is nice but John loses steam on his vocal so it feels like an outtake. I'd love an instrumental mix of this actually because the guitar and tamboura work are a marvel.

The LIB version re-done by Spector is very slow, and I take issue with changing the speed and key of the song. The strings are OK but the choir is a bad move, so I just can't love this version. Phil, you don't take off Beatle harmonies and replace them with a random choir! :wantsome:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    linclink likes this.
  12. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

No Spector, no magic.

13. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

14. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I personally love David Bowie's version the best out of any Beatle version, but the Let It Be Naked version comes at a close second.

15. zen

zen Senior Member

Let It Be (1970)
    It always sounded magical to me.
    ....Q: Is this the version on the 1967/1970 Greatest Hits?

blutiga likes this.
  16. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, this one.

zen likes this.
  17. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Take 6 for me. The closest to a pure acoustic version, which is where this song should never have drifted from. The Beatles might have sometimes gotten too in love of more complex arrangements and recordings. This song calls for simplicity.

Lewisboogie and applejam101 like this.
  18. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Let It Be - 1970

19. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Which is why I prefer the Let It Be Naked version -- I can actually play along with it without retuning my guitar. ;)

20. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I've never checked it.
    So it's basically true tuning?

21. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Imho, Phil Spector's version is the best one. It absolutely needed to be slowed down - the normal speed version almost sounds tossed off, without much conviction. Again, my opinion. I don't mind the strings or the choir, but agree that keeping Paul and Georges vocals intact would have (probably) been better.

Slowing it down made it dreamy and otherworldly - the phasing effects at the end help too.

applejam101 likes this.
  22. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Wha--? I feel like Captain Kirk watching the visual evidence against him in Court-Martial (But...that's not...the way...it happened....)! Those "ah-ah-ah"s are in my dna, yet I've only listened to the Wildlife version a relative handful of times (?), while the Let It Be version is the only one I've ever heard/played regularly, and for many more years. Sigh. I stand corrected.

Ok, so now the Wildlife is both my favorite and least favorite version o_O Go figure.

urasam2, linclink and Lewisboogie like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I can do without the teenage girls as well...they give that chorus a "from beyond the grave" sort of feel...kind of like those little girl twins in The Shining.

anth67 likes this.
  24. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I didn’t realize that. Here’s the old poll results:
    [​IMG]

xilef regnu and SixOClockBoos like this.
  25. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.